why won't it wrap?

andy johnson

Occ'ly when I write and preview the page (on any of a few browsers I
have) I find that there is a horizontal scroll bar on the bottom and
the line keeps going and going far to the right of the screen.

It doesn't wrap because you are telling it not to. Do you have a URI?

-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)

Larry Smith

Hi,
I use the freeware program Stone's WebWriter to keep up a couple of
relatively simple websites.
Occ'ly when I write and preview the page (on any of a few browsers I
have) I find that there is a horizontal scroll bar on the bottom and
the line keeps going and going far to the right of the screen.

Sometimes I've found that if I throw a </div> before my problem
paragraph that it gives us the normal wordwrap but at other times even
that doesn't do it.

I'd really love someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong so that I can
eliminate this annoyance.

TIA

Larry Smith

"I only wear my glasses for two things:
To drive my car and to find it."
Woody Allen

Sid Ismail

:
: Sometimes I've found that if I throw a </div> before my problem
: paragraph that it gives us the normal wordwrap but at other times even
: that doesn't do it.
:
: I'd really love someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong so that I can
: eliminate this annoyance.

You're probably using PRE. URL?

Sid

Larry Smith

: Hi,
: I use the freeware program Stone's WebWriter to keep up a couple of
: relatively simple websites.
: Occ'ly when I write and preview the page (on any of a few browsers I
: have) I find that there is a horizontal scroll bar on the bottom and
: the line keeps going and going far to the right of the screen.
:
: Sometimes I've found that if I throw a </div> before my problem
: paragraph that it gives us the normal wordwrap but at other times even
: that doesn't do it.
:
: I'd really love someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong so that I can
: eliminate this annoyance.

You're probably using PRE. URL?

Sid

The URL of the page in question is:
http://www.hvinet.com/dr4sight/crier.htm

The paragraph of concern is the one in the middle of the page titled:
"Is this misleading and/or ambiguous".

When I check it today using Mozilla Firebird the text wraps.
Using IE 6.0.26 it does not.

As for improper use of PRE. I checked and found I'd used <pre> three
times and each one was followed by a </pre> so I don't think that's
the culprit.

Obviously I'm still befuddled by this but do appreciate your thoughts
on it.

Larry Smith

"I only wear my glasses for two things:
To drive my car and to find it."
Woody Allen

Sid Ismail

: >You're probably using PRE. URL?
: >
: >Sid
: >
:
:
: The URL of the page in question is:
: http://www.hvinet.com/dr4sight/crier.htm
:
: The paragraph of concern is the one in the middle of the page titled:
: "Is this misleading and/or ambiguous".

Put in a doctype, then validate this page by using the online service at
http://validator.w3.org/ Once that is done, and the error persists, I'll
assist.

I found > 100 errors using 3.2 transitional.

Sid

Jukka K. Korpela

The URL of the page in question is:
http://www.hvinet.com/dr4sight/crier.htm

The paragraph of concern is the one in the middle of the page titled:
"Is this misleading and/or ambiguous".

It's in monospace font (on my browser - browsers may do anything with
malformed markup), which gives a hint: you haven't closed a <pre> element.

The fastest way to fix the page is most probably to take just the textual
content and start from scratch. It's really faster than fixing the tag
You will hardly need much else. Time and energy permitting, design then a
style sheet for tuning the visual presentation.

Mark Nobles

Larry Smith said:
The URL of the page in question is:
http://www.hvinet.com/dr4sight/crier.htm

The paragraph of concern is the one in the middle of the page titled:
"Is this misleading and/or ambiguous".

When I check it today using Mozilla Firebird the text wraps.
Using IE 6.0.26 it does not.

As for improper use of PRE. I checked and found I'd used <pre> three
times and each one was followed by a </pre> so I don't think that's
the culprit.

Obviously I'm still befuddled by this but do appreciate your thoughts
on it.

You're using a graphic,
http://www.hvinet.com/dr4sight/crier_4yr_vets.gif

that is pretty wide - wider than my sreen. It causes thes page to
scroll, not a paragraph of text. At least the way I see it in Safari
and Firebird.

BTW, the stuff you have in the pre sections look like a valid use of
table markup. But then, I could be wrong.

Larry Smith

: >You're probably using PRE. URL?
: >
: >Sid
: >
:
:
: The URL of the page in question is:
: http://www.hvinet.com/dr4sight/crier.htm
:
: The paragraph of concern is the one in the middle of the page titled:
: "Is this misleading and/or ambiguous".

Put in a doctype, then validate this page by using the online service at
http://validator.w3.org/ Once that is done, and the error persists, I'll
assist.

I found > 100 errors using 3.2 transitional.

Sid

Sid,
Just so you know what an amateur you're dealing with here, I had never
even heard of a DOCTYPE until your post.
I added one in and see that the validator has a bazillion errors.
I must be narrow minded I just want to fix the one or few that cause
the horizontal scroll bar to be needed.
Any help is appreciated but hopefully fixing just this one thing won't
be a multi-hour operation.
Best,

Larry Smith

"I only wear my glasses for two things:
To drive my car and to find it."
Woody Allen

rf

Larry Smith said:
Sid,
Just so you know what an amateur you're dealing with here, I had never
even heard of a DOCTYPE until your post.
I added one in and see that the validator has a bazillion errors.
I must be narrow minded I just want to fix the one or few that cause
the horizontal scroll bar to be needed.
Any help is appreciated but hopefully fixing just this one thing won't
be a multi-hour operation.

You will probably find that when you fix one error 20 others will go away.
When the validator finds an error it has a tendency to get confused with
what follows.

Cheers
Richard.

Larry Smith

You're using a graphic,
http://www.hvinet.com/dr4sight/crier_4yr_vets.gif

that is pretty wide - wider than my sreen. It causes thes page to
scroll, not a paragraph of text. At least the way I see it in Safari
and Firebird.

BTW, the stuff you have in the pre sections look like a valid use of
table markup. But then, I could be wrong.

Mark,
I really thought you were on to what I was hoping for - a simple
answer.
So I went back to my editor and snuffed out that wide graphic to see
if it solved the problem and eliminated the horizontal scrollbar.
Alas, it didn't.

But thanks.

Larry Smith

"I only wear my glasses for two things:
To drive my car and to find it."
Woody Allen

rf

Larry Smith said:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:02:13 GMT, Mark Nobles
Mark,
I really thought you were on to what I was hoping for - a simple
answer.
So I went back to my editor and snuffed out that wide graphic to see
if it solved the problem and eliminated the horizontal scrollbar.
Alas, it didn't.

Hmmm. Just had a look. Spread the canvas out to about 1300 pixels and see
what still runs over the end.

It is indeed the paragraph you are talking about but for a totally different
reason. IE has grave problems with text-align: justify. In this case it is
letting the content get out of hand.

Remove text-align: justify and the horizontal scroll bar disappears.
Justified text is hard to read on a computer screen anyway :)

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Nobles

Larry Smith said:
Mark,
I really thought you were on to what I was hoping for - a simple
answer.
So I went back to my editor and snuffed out that wide graphic to see
if it solved the problem and eliminated the horizontal scrollbar.
Alas, it didn't.

But thanks.

Ok, I didn't it was that, but it turns out, it is a simple answer.
look at lines 74 and 75:
<pre>

Try deleting line 74 and see what happens.

Mark <- a simple mind looks for simple answers

Larry Smith

Ok, I didn't it was that, but it turns out, it is a simple answer.
look at lines 74 and 75:
<pre>

Try deleting line 74 and see what happens.

Mark <- a simple mind looks for simple answers

Mark,
You are my hero.
When I deleted the offending line I lost the runoff.
I can't thank you enough.

And I also want to thank everyone else who has posted to this thread.
I've definitely learned some stuff on the subject.

Best to you all.