Why won't my download ever end?

Jerry Camel

I thought I had finally figured out how to control the downloads from my page. I was having issues with large files, but after much research I came up with the following code. The download seems to proceed without issue, but never terminiates. The byte count stops incrementing, but the dowload dialog never closes. (Until I hit cancel.) What's keeping the download from ending properly? I'm pretty close to finishing this app - any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dim fStream As FileStream
Dim bytesToGo As Long
Dim bytesRead As Long
Dim byteBuffer(1048576) As Byte

fStream = New FileStream("C:\DepotRoot\" & e.CommandArgument(), FileMode.Open, _
FileAccess.Read, FileShare.Read)
bytesToGo = fStream.Length
Response.BufferOutput = False
Response.Clear()
Response.ClearContent()
Response.ClearHeaders()
Response.AppendHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=""" & _
dr("FileName") & """")
Response.Flush()
While (bytesToGo > 0)
If (Response.IsClientConnected) Then
bytesRead = fStream.Read(byteBuffer, 0, 1048576)
Response.OutputStream.Write(byteBuffer, 0, bytesRead)
Response.Flush()
bytesToGo -= bytesRead
Else
bytesToGo = -1
End If
End While

Response.Flush() 'This is kinda redundant, but it was worth a shot.
fStream.Close() 'Close the stream on the server side.
Response.End() 'Shouldn't this tell the browser to stop trying to download?

Thanks again!

- Jerry

George Ter-Saakov

Here is the my theory.
Add ContentLength: to the header.

Response.AppendHeader("ContentLength", Filesize.tostirng() )
Let me know if it worked.
George.

[...]

I appreciate the response, but that didn't do it. I was hoping it would at least address another item I posted regarding download progress, but it didn't do that either. Any other ideas?

Jerry
[...]

FYI - This only seems to be a problem with larger downloads. The smaller downloads work just fine.
[...]

Earl Teigrob

Jerry,

If you solve this, it will be amazing. I spend days last week researching ths issue and read about developer teams spending months trying to get a solution, and finally did (but in a very messy and complex way). I hope you get it though...we will all be happy!!!

Earl

BTW, with the current solution you have so for, does the dowload dialog pop up to the client right away?

[...]

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

Any reason not to just use the WriteFile method?

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

[...]

When I tried it with Response.WriteFile, larger files just ended up with a "Page Not Found" error.

The code below seems to work - there's something strange going on. I tried it with three files:

File1: 66,854K
File2: 74,902K
File3: 158,262K

Files 1 and 3 work without a problem. File 2 hangs every time. This is really making me crazy! What's the problem with 74 Meg if you can handle 158 Meg just fine?

Anyone? Please!?!??!?!

Jerry
[...]

The dialog seems to pop up pretty quickly. Why? Is that another known issue?

How do I get ahold of the "very messy and complex way"?

[...]

And just to make things even more frustrating, File2 works from another workstation. I wonder if I've got some IE security patch on this box that doesn't like files with specific byte counts...

[...]

WriteFile blows up when using very large files (500m+). It tries to buffer the entire file to the server before sending, gives no notice to the user, takes forever and finally crashed the server. A slight problem...
[...]

Read this

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/Article/E9BE4431-3561-4A64-88C8-A49B2E50CBFA..dcik

[...]

When using Writefile, the entire file is cached to the server before the dialog box is displayed, which can take a long time on large files...(if the server does not crash, of course)
[...]

Malek

did you try to use smaller chunks (I have used 2k chunks but I had low user
load and files not really getting over 70Mb)... maybe that could help. If
not, probably you should go with the dotnetjunkies method of using
ISAP+HttpHandler