why wont these menus work in Opera ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ß Ø ® G, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. ß Ø ® G

    ß Ø ® G Guest

    ß Ø ® G, Oct 4, 2003

  2. ß Ø ® G

    ß Ø ® G Guest

    ß Ø ® G, Oct 4, 2003

  3. ß Ø ® G

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    ß Ø ® G said...

    > why wont these menus work in Opera ?
    > http://www.davessite.co.uk/testmenu/test.htm

    all my browsers show a blank black page. fix the errors and see what
    happens.

    --
    05/October/2003 08:58:07 am

    brucie, Oct 5, 2003
  4. ß Ø ® G

    ß Ø ® G Guest

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:00:17 +1000, brucie
    <-html.org> wrote:

    >In post <>
    >ß Ø ® G said...
    >
    >> why wont these menus work in Opera ?
    >> http://www.davessite.co.uk/testmenu/test.htm

    >all my browsers show a blank black page. fix the errors and see what
    >happens.

    well if I knew what they wa sI would fix them thats why I asked here,
    I can see the menu bar in Opera but no sub menus, and the page works
    in IE

    --
    E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
    watch out for spam trap in header

    ß Ø ® G, Oct 5, 2003
  5. ß Ø ® G

    Mark Nobles Guest

    In article <>, ß Ø ® G
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:00:17 +1000, brucie
    > <-html.org> wrote:
    >
    > >In post <>
    > >ß Ø ® G said...
    > >
    > >> why wont these menus work in Opera ?
    > >> http://www.davessite.co.uk/testmenu/test.htm

    > >all my browsers show a blank black page. fix the errors and see what
    > >happens.

    > well if I knew what they wa sI would fix them thats why I asked here,
    > I can see the menu bar in Opera but no sub menus, and the page works
    > in IE

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://www.davessite.co.uk/tes
    tmenu%2Ftest.htm

    (you may have to correct for the wrapping)

    Mark Nobles, Oct 5, 2003
  6. ß Ø ® G

    Denise Enck Guest

    "ß Ø ® G" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:00:17 +1000, brucie
    > <-html.org> wrote:
    >
    > >In post <>
    > >ß Ø ® G said...
    > >
    > >> why wont these menus work in Opera ?
    > >> http://www.davessite.co.uk/testmenu/test.htm

    > >all my browsers show a blank black page. fix the errors and see what
    > >happens.

    > well if I knew what they wa sI would fix them thats why I asked here,
    > I can see the menu bar in Opera but no sub menus, and the page works
    > in IE

    Here's how you find out what the errors are: http://validator.w3.org
    Just plug in your URL & click "validate."

    IE is much more forgiving of errors than other browsers - this can lead one
    into thinking that because a page works or looks good in IE that it will in
    other browsers, too. But, this is not the case.

    cheers ~
    Denise

    Denise Enck, Oct 5, 2003
  7. ß Ø ® G

    ß Ø ® G Guest

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:22:59 GMT, "Denise Enck"
    <> wrote:

    >"ß Ø ® G" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:00:17 +1000, brucie
    >> <-html.org> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In post <>
    >> >ß Ø ® G said...

    >> >all my browsers show a blank black page. fix the errors and see what
    >> >happens.

    >> well if I knew what they wa sI would fix them thats why I asked here,
    >> I can see the menu bar in Opera but no sub menus, and the page works
    >> in IE
    >>

    >Here's how you find out what the errors are: http://validator.w3.org
    >Just plug in your URL & click "validate."
    >
    >IE is much more forgiving of errors than other browsers - this can lead one
    >into thinking that because a page works or looks good in IE that it will in
    >other browsers, too. But, this is not the case.
    >
    >cheers ~
    >Denise

    OK i get

    Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an
    SGML parser.

    Line 8, column 22: document type does not allow element "STYLE" here
    (explain...).
    ^
    Line 24, column 25: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    (explain...).
    <script src="menu.js"></script>
    ^
    Line 25, column 26: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    (explain...).
    <script src="bizzy.js"></script>
    ^
    Line 34, column 28: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    (explain...).
    <script src="menu.js"></script>
    ^
    Line 35, column 28: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    (explain...).
    <script src="pipe.js"></script>
    ^

    but I have no idea what it means, I looked at the (explain...). bit
    but was confused even more, FOO ?

    ß Ø ® G, Oct 6, 2003
  8. ß Ø ® G

    Denise Enck Guest

    "ß Ø ® G" <> wrote in message

    > OK i get
    >
    > Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an
    > SGML parser.
    >
    > Line 8, column 22: document type does not allow element "STYLE" here
    > (explain...).
    > ^
    > Line 24, column 25: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    > (explain...).
    > <script src="menu.js"></script>
    > ^
    > Line 25, column 26: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    > (explain...).
    > <script src="bizzy.js"></script>
    > ^
    > Line 34, column 28: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    > (explain...).
    > <script src="menu.js"></script>
    > ^
    > Line 35, column 28: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    > (explain...).
    > <script src="pipe.js"></script>
    > ^
    >

    > but I have no idea what it means, I looked at the (explain...). bit
    > but was confused even more, FOO ?

    The bit beginning with <style type="text/css"> and going through </style>,
    needs to go in your <head>. At present it's between the head and body of
    your document, in no man's land....

    You just need to specify that it's javascript ~~
    replace this <script src="menu.js"></script>
    with this: <script type="text/javascript" src="menu.js">
    and so on for the other examples.

    Fix those up and you should be okay...

    cheers ~
    Denise

    Denise Enck, Oct 6, 2003
  9. ß Ø ® G

    ß Ø ® G Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 02:47:44 GMT, "Denise Enck"
    <> wrote:

    >"ß Ø ® G" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> OK i get
    >>
    >> Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an
    >> SGML parser.
    >>
    >> Line 8, column 22: document type does not allow element "STYLE" here
    >> (explain...).
    >> ^
    >> Line 24, column 25: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    >> (explain...).
    >> <script src="menu.js"></script>
    >> ^
    >> Line 25, column 26: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    >> (explain...).
    >> <script src="bizzy.js"></script>
    >> ^
    >> Line 34, column 28: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    >> (explain...).
    >> <script src="menu.js"></script>
    >> ^
    >> Line 35, column 28: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
    >> (explain...).
    >> <script src="pipe.js"></script>
    >> ^
    >>

    >> but I have no idea what it means, I looked at the (explain...). bit
    >> but was confused even more, FOO ?
    >>

    >The bit beginning with <style type="text/css"> and going through </style>,
    >needs to go in your <head>. At present it's between the head and body of
    >your document, in no man's land....
    >
    >You just need to specify that it's javascript ~~
    >replace this <script src="menu.js"></script>
    >with this: <script type="text/javascript" src="menu.js">
    >and so on for the other examples.
    >
    >Fix those up and you should be okay...
    >
    >cheers ~
    >Denise

    OK got it to pass the validation test :) but the pop out menus still
    won't work in Opera, OK in IE6 no other browser on here to test in

    Any ideas ?

    ß Ø ® G, Oct 6, 2003