    Cyrillic?

    --
    Nocturnal @ http://www.randomfix.com

    Nocturnal, Nov 28, 2005

  2. __/ [Nocturnal] on Monday 28 November 2005 07:18 \__

    > There is a website I frequent both their forum and main page encoding is
    > Cyrillic which is for Russia. The website is not hosted in Russia either.
    > In their HTML all of the encoding is set to Iso-8559-1 which is the USA
    > standard. What could be overriding their iso-8559-1 and encoding it to
    > Cyrillic?

    Which browser are you using? That's an important factor. Also, have any
    symbols have been embedded in these pages which are not interpetable by
    Iso-8559-1? As you mentioned a forum (thus open content), has anything
    been entered in Cyrillic? That might explain why Iso-8559-1 is overridden,
    supposedly in order to 'help' you. I don't think a hybrid of encodings is
    ever possible, so an encoding fallback is assumed to be preferable.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

    Roy Schestowitz, Nov 28, 2005

  3. Nocturnal wrote:

    > There is a website I frequent both their forum and main page encoding is
    > Cyrillic which is for Russia. The website is not hosted in Russia either.
    > In their HTML all of the encoding is set to Iso-8559-1 which is the USA
    > standard. What could be overriding their iso-8559-1 and encoding it to
    > Cyrillic?

    Have you looked at the HTTP header 'Content-Type'? If there's a character
    set declared (e.g. 'text/html; charset=utf-8' or similar) it will override
    any declaration in the HTML document itself.
    (I would not be suprised, if a russian webmaster configures his/her server
    to send a default character set suitable for cyrillic documents).

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de

    Benjamin Niemann, Nov 28, 2005
  4. "Nocturnal" <> wrote:

    > There is a website I frequent both their forum and main page encoding is
    > Cyrillic which is for Russia.

    There is no encoding with the name "Cyrillic". There are several encodings
    that have the word "Cyrillic" as part of their informal name. Many of them
    are suitable for several languages written in Cyrillic letters, not just
    Russian, in Russia and elsewhere.

    Why don't you specify the URL of the site?

    > The website is not hosted in Russia either.

    "Either"?

    > In their HTML all of the encoding is set to Iso-8559-1

    Are you sure? How?

    > which is the USA standard.

    It isn't. Ask the ANSI if you think otherwise.

    > What could be overriding their iso-8559-1 and encoding it to
    > Cyrillic?

    HTTP headers or your browser.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/