    with the divs, I could see it. But... they aren't. The page is always posted
    back to itself for any kinds of show/hide stuff.

    What am I missing?

    Stephanie Stowe, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Well, it's hard to say without seeing the resultant HTML, but perhaps
    because options exist to show the content in those DIVs with some
    client-side action? If not, then, no, it doesn't make any sense to return
    content that will never be displayed or used in any way.

    --

    Ray at work
    Microsoft ASP/ASP.NET MVP

    "Stephanie Stowe" <> wrote in message
    > You have a page. On top of the page, there are some search criteria and
    > other input elements and a submit button. The submit button is clicked,
    > sending a request to the server. Server-side code is executed to write
    > client-side vars. Based on these vars, divs are shown or hidden.
    >
    > Why not just write or not write the html stuff server-side? I cannot
    > understand it. And it is UGLY. If other client-events were going to

    interact

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Jan 13, 2005

  3. To pad a contract with billable hours, and still look busy? ;-)

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jan 13, 2005
  4. Stephanie Stowe

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:28:33 -0500, "Stephanie Stowe"
    <> wrote:

    >You have a page. On top of the page, there are some search criteria and
    >other input elements and a submit button. The submit button is clicked,
    >sending a request to the server. Server-side code is executed to write
    >client-side vars. Based on these vars, divs are shown or hidden.
    >
    >Why not just write or not write the html stuff server-side? I cannot
    >understand it. And it is UGLY. If other client-events were going to interact
    >with the divs, I could see it. But... they aren't. The page is always posted
    >back to itself for any kinds of show/hide stuff.
    >
    >What am I missing?

    It's what we're missing. We're missing the page/code in question to
    see what it does, and we're missing the intentions of the original
    programmer.

    It could be they did that because they didn't know how to do it
    client-side. It could be they did have a server-side reason that is
    no longer valid and haven't updated the code. It could be the server
    side operation is for securing data or preventing client-side spoofing
    of some sort. It could be simply because each server request
    generates a log they can use to track activity on their site and the
    user's experience.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 14, 2005
  5. I guess I am glad to hear this. I was looking and looking at this stuff,
    when I finally understood what was happening, I was flabergasted.

    Stephanie Stowe, Jan 14, 2005