Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, Chapter Five: Them What Make the Rulesand Them What Live the Dream

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by why the lucky stiff, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Beloved friends and key witnesses: Holy highkick! I (at last) present
    chapter five!

    Fifty-two pages of spooky new adventures in Ruby. This is a big one
    for me: the book is now halfway. And I guarantee to you that -- should
    you read -- you will be in a new place, wading in the schemings of pygmy
    elephants and deer with powdered wigs.

    Travel now and read: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

    What is the (Poignant) Guide? I am here to tell you that it is a very
    obscure book, a minor ripple in the orchestrations of mankind, a
    scattered amalgamation of inky blotches and ridiculous code fragments --
    at best -- a transcription of animal software from the original
    woodblock prints. And I haven't meant to corrupt the text with my
    snivelling biographies, but it has happened already, what can be
    done?

    A printable HTML version is available as well. You'll find a link to it
    and instructions for printing in Firefox at the Guide's site. Be aware,
    it's large as a squirrel heaven. Let it load, let it.

    Well, cheerio. Thankyou to Matz for his excellent resource "Ruby in a
    Nutshell". It's the employee handbook here at the plant.

    _why
    why the lucky stiff, Sep 21, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. why the lucky stiff

    David Ross Guest

    Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, Chapter Five: Them What Make the Rules and Them What Live the Dream

    Very nice _why. I like reading your sites often. My
    favorite topic is "bread man". Your guide is most
    excellent, keep it up :)

    --dross

    --- why the lucky stiff
    <> wrote:

    > Beloved friends and key witnesses: Holy highkick! I
    > (at last) present
    > chapter five!
    >
    > Fifty-two pages of spooky new adventures in Ruby.
    > This is a big one
    > for me: the book is now halfway. And I guarantee to
    > you that -- should
    > you read -- you will be in a new place, wading in
    > the schemings of pygmy
    > elephants and deer with powdered wigs.
    >
    > Travel now and read: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/
    >
    > What is the (Poignant) Guide? I am here to tell you
    > that it is a very
    > obscure book, a minor ripple in the orchestrations
    > of mankind, a
    > scattered amalgamation of inky blotches and
    > ridiculous code fragments --
    > at best -- a transcription of animal software from
    > the original
    > woodblock prints. And I haven't meant to corrupt
    > the text with my
    > snivelling biographies, but it has happened already,
    > what can be
    > done?
    >
    > A printable HTML version is available as well.
    > You'll find a link to it
    > and instructions for printing in Firefox at the
    > Guide's site. Be aware,
    > it's large as a squirrel heaven. Let it load, let
    > it.
    >
    > Well, cheerio. Thankyou to Matz for his excellent
    > resource "Ruby in a
    > Nutshell". It's the employee handbook here at the
    > plant.
    >
    > _why
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >





    _______________________________
    Do you Yahoo!?
    Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today!
    http://vote.yahoo.com
    David Ross, Sep 21, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, Chapter Five: Them What Make the Rules and Them What Live the Dream

    ...and the list goes silent for an hour, as everyone takes another
    vacation into why's bizarre universe.

    Crazy as always, why.

    --
    Lennon
    rcoder.net
    Lennon Day-Reynolds, Sep 21, 2004
    #3
  4. Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, Chapter Five: Them What Make the Rules and Them What Live the Dream

    On Sep 21, 2004, at 12:46 PM, Lennon Day-Reynolds wrote:
    > ...and the list goes silent for an hour, as everyone takes another
    > vacation into why's bizarre universe.


    An hour? Much more like three.

    This is one hefty tome. Well worth the money.
    Gavin Kistner, Sep 21, 2004
    #4
  5. Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, Chapter Five: Them What Make theRules and Them What Live the Dream

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Most brilliant again, why. Thank you.

    kaspar
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFBULWCFifl4CA0ImQRArYtAJ4j+suP6ozkVe9lO5V2MEgTRzIRVgCgn54G
    txeMTnrNv3d5hDvF+gkAQS0=
    =5swy
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Kaspar Schiess, Sep 22, 2004
    #5
  6. Re: Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby, Chapter Five: Them What Make theRules and Them What Live the Dream

    Thanks, David, Kaspar, Lennon, Gavin. If any of you have some counsel
    for improving the teaching employed so far, head over to the
    poignant-stiffs list:
    <http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/poignant-stiffs>

    I could really use some input. Is anyone actually learning Ruby through
    the book? Also: got any ideas for getting it out to people who wouldn't
    normally read a manual?

    _why

    David Ross wrote:

    >Very nice _why. I like reading your sites often. My
    >favorite topic is "bread man". Your guide is most
    >excellent, keep it up :)
    >
    >--dross
    >
    >--- why the lucky stiff
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >>Beloved friends and key witnesses: Holy highkick! I
    >>(at last) present
    >>chapter five!
    >>
    >>Fifty-two pages of spooky new adventures in Ruby.
    >>This is a big one
    >>for me: the book is now halfway. And I guarantee to
    >>you that -- should
    >>you read -- you will be in a new place, wading in
    >>the schemings of pygmy
    >>elephants and deer with powdered wigs.
    >>
    >>Travel now and read: http://poignantguide.net/ruby/
    >>
    >>What is the (Poignant) Guide? I am here to tell you
    >>that it is a very
    >>obscure book, a minor ripple in the orchestrations
    >>of mankind, a
    >>scattered amalgamation of inky blotches and
    >>ridiculous code fragments --
    >>at best -- a transcription of animal software from
    >>the original
    >>woodblock prints. And I haven't meant to corrupt
    >>the text with my
    >>snivelling biographies, but it has happened already,
    >>what can be
    >>done?
    >>
    >>A printable HTML version is available as well.
    >>You'll find a link to it
    >>and instructions for printing in Firefox at the
    >>Guide's site. Be aware,
    >>it's large as a squirrel heaven. Let it load, let
    >>it.
    >>
    >>Well, cheerio. Thankyou to Matz for his excellent
    >>resource "Ruby in a
    >>Nutshell". It's the employee handbook here at the
    >>plant.
    >>
    >>_why
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    >
    >_______________________________
    >Do you Yahoo!?
    >Declare Yourself - Register online to vote today!
    >http://vote.yahoo.com
    >
    >
    >
    why the lucky stiff, Sep 22, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Mr. SweatyFinger
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,762
    Smokey Grindel
    Dec 2, 2006
  2. why the lucky stiff
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    309
    Sean Russell
    Feb 20, 2004
  3. why the lucky stiff
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    186
    Josef 'Jupp' SCHUGT
    Mar 4, 2004
  4. why the lucky stiff
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    129
    why the lucky stiff
    May 18, 2005
  5. Replies:
    14
    Views:
    153
Loading...

Share This Page