    examples are very clear and understandable, and the style keeps you
    turning pages to see what madness awaits.

    Good job Mr. Why!

    Jayson Williams, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Jayson Williams

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 12:29:24PM +0900, Jayson Williams wrote:
    > Recently, I was looking for a Ruby guide that could help my son catch
    > on to Ruby. I have seen several mentions an Why's (Poignant) Guide to
    > Ruby, so I decided to read through it to see if it was something my
    > son could use. By the time I was about 1/4 through it, I became very
    > concerned about the writer. Is this guy ok? Bizzar just scratches the
    > surface. The Van Gogh of Ruby programmers would be a fair assessment.
    > This book reads like a twisted novel, where you almost by accident,
    > learn a bit of Ruby. Nevertheless, a very engaging read. The code
    > examples are very clear and understandable, and the style keeps you
    > turning pages to see what madness awaits.
    >
    > Good job Mr. Why!

    He's okay with me. I won't speculate about his mental health, though,
    since I've never met him.

    Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your hammer, everything starts
    to look like your thumb."

    Chad Perrin, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Jayson Williams

    Thufir Guest

    If you like the book, see <http://tryruby.hobix.com/>, by the same
    fellow. According to his blog, <http://whytheluckystiff.net/>, he's a
    professor collaborating on a similar book for Flash.

    I only wish that "Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby" was available in
    printed form.

    -Thufir

    Thufir, Oct 20, 2007
  4. > fellow. According to his blog, <http://whytheluckystiff.net/>, he's a
    > professor collaborating on a similar book for Flash.

    The website says he is a "freelance professor". Is that like a self
    proclaimed thing. The website is just like the book. Nothing you get
    is anything you expect. If Dr. Who. knew Ruby, I think his name would
    be Professor Why.

    Jay...

    Jayson Williams, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Rick DeNatale, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Jayson Williams

    Robert Dober Guest

    Robert Dober, Oct 20, 2007
  7. Rick DeNatale, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Giles Bowkett, Oct 20, 2007
  9. Jayson Williams

    Tim Pease Guest

    On 10/20/07, Giles Bowkett <> wrote:
    > > If Dr. Who. knew Ruby, I think his name would
    > > be Professor Why.

    > That's basically what's going on.

    If you enjoyed _why's book, then take a glimpse into his everyday life
    via twitter ...

    http://twitter.com/_why/statuses/331304632

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Oct 20, 2007
  10. Jayson Williams

    Phlip Guest

    > I don't know about all his work, but hpricot is fantastic and popular.

    The specific deal with Hpricot is nobody wants to parse and write HTML that
    could be ill-formed. XHTML is simple to parse, and browsers can't accept
    strict XHTML. So HTML lived in a dead-spot. If you had to edit it, you'd
    target specific strings with gsub. And if this lead to an encoding problem,
    you'd simply have garbage-in-garbage-out.

    With Hpricot, you can freely convert ill-formed HTML into an object model,
    and back into HTML

    We used Hpricot to launch a successful project at work, with its Lilu
    wrapper. This let our graphic artists upgrade our graphics, decoupled from
    our developer's source code. Lilu uses Hpricot to locate class tags and
    replace their contents with our data. This, in turn, decouples our graphics
    teams and development teams, leading to a very successful website.

    And Hpricot allows assertions in tests that read HTML, via assert_hpricot.

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/

    Phlip, Oct 21, 2007