width based on content

dorayme

<[email protected]
Captain Paralytic said:
Maybe he means that it's amazing that someone who has been posting
questions on html & php for so long has only managed to come up with a
site like that.

So what? It is still not amazing and can only seem so if you leap
to unwarranted and unimaginative theories about his
circumstances.

P E Schoen

"richard" wrote in message
Did you know that many people buy domain names purely
for email?

Why not use gmail? It's free. No need for a domain unless you really want
your email to be (e-mail address removed). I even got a domain for my dog
for his 5th birthday. So what's his assessment of his website? RRRrrufff!

And he prefers to use PeeMail. :)
The only reason I put that piece of crap up was so
that you'd see something instead of "index of".

Why not use one of these?
http://bestdesignoptions.com/?p=12363

Do you use newsguy.com for usenet? Much less expensive to use
www.teranews.com.

You can get unlimited hosting, plus email, domain names, etc, from
http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html for about $9/month. And it fully
supports CGI.

Paul
www.muttleydog.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
Did you know that many people buy domain names purely for email?

Of course. I do so myself. I do not use any ISP's email services.
The only reason I put that piece of crap up was so that you'd see
something instead of "index of".

When I feel it is necessary, I do post an example to my site and link
to it for my question. I also validate my code, which is far more
than most people even consider doing.

Rarely and recently. Your new /oldies/test.html page has CSS errors.
You never seem to post a question

Perhaps I have no questions.
or a URL to anything for any reason. You just mouth off.

...usually letting others know your advice is less than stellar.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Kamron Bennett said:
Accept my apologies for digressing however?

Surely. It's not a problem.

I love your email address ... but did you know that "theysuck.com" is
owned by a fellow named Jason from Edmonton, Alberta? You should change
that to a non-registerable name so as not to direct spam to his domain.
In fact, "example.com" is reserved for the purpose.

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;-)

Lewis

In message said:
Richard's reactions, over the past ten years, have invariably been
along the lines of "google doesn't do that, stop bullying me and just
tell me why blue doesn't taste right!"

Come on, you forgot the reason I put him into my kill file, the classic:
The Validator is wrong! The Validator is stupid and wrong!

There's also the fact that he posts things, routinely, that are
completely wrong; then he argues about them by posting something someone
wrote 12-15 years ago that he thinks still applies to HTML4, much less
HTML5.

I mean, come on, there's only so much stupid I can tolerate in a day,
and none of that is allocated to USENET.

P E Schoen

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote in message
Many times he will respond to advice given him with a comment
similar to "That's not what I wanted, asshole!" and he almost
never thanks anyone for correct advice. And this is not just here
in HTML groups; he's all over Usenet.
I guess one could say he is a Usenet legend.

Something like Jerry Howe used to be on rec.pets,dogs,behavior:

<http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.pets.dogs.health/2008-05/msg00070.html>

Or Phil Allison on sci.electronics.*:

<http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/newsgroups/viewtopic.php?t=77051>
<https://groups.google.com/group/sci...hl=en&lnk=gst&q=phil+allison#7dc9ec64c6e1e145>

Seems every newsgroup has a resident troll or kook.

Paul

dorayme

richard said:
In CSS width has two basic uses.
1) width: auto; causes the element to expand the entire width of it's
container.

Yes, along with and including any borders, margins and paddings.
Mostly such width is the default and needs no special mention by
an author.
2) width:100px defines the width to be that and no more or no less.

And just to note, em widthing, in contrast to px widthing, gives
a very often useful flexibility. A pixel widthing of an element
does not even have the smell of shrink-to-fit quality; whereas em
widthing is the author's manual opportunity to give it this
quality. Ben C has covered the automatic shrink-to-fit
possibilities, I come to give a more human, warmer message.
What I am looking at doing is basing the width on the content .

I don't see the need of having a 500px wide division just to show something
short in it like "Hi!".

If no one can see the width of an element, and this very much
depends on the context and the styling, but just the text, there
is a particular need *not* to limit the width based on the
principle that less is more.

Now this is a slightly subtle principle, it needs to be
understood right. You might think that limiting the width of an
element is making it less and no more than it needs to be, and so
is a prize candidate for being less than the more of the
principle. But there is a deeper argument to do with more general
matters: basically, don't mess about if you don't need to, the
defaults being there for good general reasons.

I note that you did not leap on the positional possibilities that
were mentioned but settled on an inline span element for some
task you had in mind. A good choice if your aim is to style the
surrounds of the text inside, like a highlit background.

But, just to note, a span is hardly shrink-to-fit in the usual
sense. In a way, nothing is ever shrunk and nothing is ever in
danger of expanding, nothing is much calculated. But in another
way it does: like an author controlled em widthing, it shrinks
and expands with the text size but that is mostly down to the
text and I at least do not admire a span for this. I admire a
float, I greatly admire a table cell, but I find it hard to be
awed by the humble span. I know, it is a harsh judgement. But
there it is.

dorayme

What circumstances?

Exactly!
All I can base my evaluations on are his postings.

And what does "based on" mean if it does not involve acts of
imagination on the reader? Or you can, if you think it
worthwhile, find, yes with your imagination, worthwhile things to
respond with, jokes will do.

Can you tell me something else?

I can tell you things without end. Anything in particular? What
about my view that every usenet poster should have at least one
sworn enemy and that two way contempt is fine by me. Because of
his long and laborious study of Richard, and his particular
keenness and interest, I would say it should be left to
Beauregard T. Shagnasty and everyone else should leave it alone.

Oh, maybe you are asking me for *help* in imagining how it might
not be amazing that Richard has any-old-how on his website? Is
that it? OK. How about he couldn't give a stuff about it and it
was something he did once and has not got around to using in a
meaningful way?

It is not amazing.

Tim Streater

Ben C said:
A Mini had about 40 horsepower per litre and did 40mpg in spite of
weighing only about 700kg. Most cars now weigh twice that, have twice as
much horsepower per litre, and still do 40mpg.

I think the gearbox may have been implicated there, too. Mind you, he
engine design was old (IIRC) when the Mini first came out in 1959.

Dave Doe

In CSS width has two basic uses.
1) width:auto causes the container to expand the entire width of it's
container.
2) width:100px defines the width to be that and no more or no less.

Ok I know about length and % too.

What I am looking at doing is basing the width on the content .

I don't see the need of having a 500px wide division just to show something
short in it like "Hi!".

You might say I'm say I'm looking for something flexible like a table cell.

yeah yeah, I know. You're gonna mouth off about my intelligence.
because we all know you were such an expert to begin with.

Look at the span and em tags. The em element provides proportional
sizing. Together they may, or may not be, nested, providing additional
flexibility.

dorayme

Ben C said:
I think his span was display: inline-block,

Ah, I remembered only the span bit! My online reader has
advantages and disadvantages.
which is really just as good
as float if you want a shrink-to-fit block. Better in many ways because
you don't need to worry about clearing it or making sure its container
makes room for it.

Yes and not having to worry about the snagging that happens with
floats when one drops to the next line but meets a tall other and
can't get past its feet. The inline block is a very attractive
choice often, especially now that the two latest IEs support it.
It used not to be recommended because even Firefox didn't support it,
but that was quite a long time ago now.

You're right that display: inline "boxes" (so called "inline boxes")
aren't really boxes in the ordinary sense of the word, and trying to use
them for anything other than a bit of text highlighting or decoration is
likely to end in tears.

It was not quite clear what OP wanted width to be based on
content *for* but I think it may have been rude to ask. One
sometimes needs to show respect for privacy, a bit of
confidentiality on a public forum being something precious,
possibly a wonder of the world, possibly even amazing. <g>

Tim Streater

Ben C said:
That certainly didn't help. It had four reverse-reverse gears and one
reverse gear due to a last-minute design change to put the engine in the
other way round.

And no synchromesh on first in the ones I had! Going up mountains in
Switzerland with four people I suddenly had to learn PDQ how to
double-declutch.

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
so you have no idea either but you leap to defend him? that does not
benefit your image or reputation.

Now here is a mildly *amazing* thing, from someone who purports
to be so down to earth, rational, sensible: a non-sequitur. The
point is that if you do not know someone's circumstances, you
should be circumspect about passing judgment.

Don't you worry about my reputation Ed, I have no concern for it
and especially not from how it is with various gang members who
you so cutely feel need defending.

btw, I didn't *leap* to defend him, I just kind of strolled in
real slow, no hurry and said things. Like the bull who brushed
aside his young bull companions who urged that they *rush down*
and have some fun with some of the cows, he proposing instead to
walk down slowly and have fun with every one of them.

You are the one doing the leaping; that, you see (or do you?) is
what a non-sequitur is.
couldn't care less about his site, that's not at hand here. what is
being talked about is his asking for help, getting help, ignoring the
help, and continuing to argue that the correct help is wrong.

Oh, if you want to talk about just everything under the sun, go
ahead. We were talking a specific thing - about what is amazing,
remember?
you're getting odder as time wears on.

You say just about anything that pops into your head sometimes.
Perhaps that is an oddity, and one you might be concerned about.
Is it the coffee that makes you sound so wild and intemperate and
emotional so often?

are you totally unaware of richard's history?

I am not interested. I leave this stuff to B who seems to have an
obsession over it. He is definitely Chief Richard Investigator,
with various characters occupying the Investigation Bench next to
him and under him, there seem so many members of this august
panel that I picture it as double-tiered.

i'd insert a smiley here

Oh go on, be a devil and do it!
to indicate that I am not speaking harshly to
you but, really, there's nothing funny about this other the inanity of
richard's posts. Which, for the most part, i must add, i find
hilariously funny.

It is not *Richard's* posts that I have been concerned with. You
are not understanding this Ed, but our beautiful relationship
needs more time to develop. <g>

dorayme

Ben C said:
The question that is now bugging me is was there ever a car with twin
cams that weren't overhead?

Not sure if this helps but I did find some twin-side-spout
teapots:

<http://www.findgift.com/gift-ideas/pid-60102/>

which is particularly silly. And another style which is not so
silly because you can pour two cups at once:

<http://www.luuux.com/node/1939786>

I have seen a nicer old fashioned one in the useful style but
have no reference for the moment.

William Gill

... With many people laziness is inborn and
therefore quite hard to get rid of.

What a load of pap. It's easier for anyone to be lazy than to put in any
effort. It may be genetically, or (as in my case) physically more
difficult to work, but excusing lack of effort (not necessarily lack of
result) is utter nonsense. It is what mental health professionals call
"enabling."
Accept my apologies for digressing however?

Accept MY apologies for digressing?

dorayme

Tim Streater said:
And if you only have one cup? Hmm, I guess you get to launder the
tablecloth *again*.

Ah, right, that seems to make the pot with the spouts on opposite
sides less silly because it avoids this problem of afternoon tea
settings with an *odd* number of cups.

However, would this not make it more useless? Desperate would be
to argue that it could be useful if one spout got blocked. But
this would only be so if the design of the pot allowed blockage
in the first place.

Perhaps it would be some use in the practice of pouring? A more
economical way, a neat vertical twist of the pot to pour two cups
in turn rather than a horizontal circling over the table. But
this sounds a little far fetched to me.

We need an objective measure of silliness here. We cannot go on
like this flailing in the dark. Here is a PHD research project:

Realistically survey the set of all tea pouring situations that
have happened on earth. Survey with practical instinct the
numbers of situations where the different teapots shine. For
example, in a social setting where there are pairs of cups close
together around a table, the host will more efficiently pour the
lot with the pot that has two spouts cup-distance apart. And so
on.

I say we resist passing judgement until this important work is
done. It may well turn out that many different teapots are not at
all silly, each practical for different situations. I suspect
that silliness in teapots, I am talking deep-silliness, not
superficial looks here, has to do with uselessness in practical
situations.