width of event target?

David Birnbaum

Dear comp.lang.javascript,

I'm attaching a mouseover event handler to a <p> element that consists of just a few words. When I mouse over the element, the event fires, but it also fires when I mouse over the blank space to the right, after the end of the textual content. This latter behavior is distracting to my users, who don't expect mouse movements in that area to interact with the <p> because as far it looks to them, the <p> ends where the visible text ends.

Thanks,

David ([email protected])

Denis McMahon

I'm guessing that this happens because the width of my <p> is being
reported as 100% of the width of the containing <body> element.

I think that the width of your paragraph, which is a block level element,
is 100% of the containing element, unless you specify it to be narrower.

Not "is being reported as" but "is".

Rgds

Denis McMahon