width of one container not smooth in IE

Knut Krueger

Hi again,
my basic layout nearly ready except one question:

http://sunshine-language.de/test/

The width of the container "sunshineheadline" does not extend smooth in
IE when resizing the browser
It is jumping with size of the text inside.
this would not be a problem but the background image is jumping too,
means there is sometimes a space between the x x x x x x x and the
container left of the menu container

Al is working fine with Mozilla
No errors in html and css.

Regards Knut

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Knut said:
Hi again,
my basic layout nearly ready except one question:

http://sunshine-language.de/test/

You are still using points for font sizing. Points are for printing.
Change font size to 100% so visitors can read it at their chosen size.

You have too much pixel-exact sizing as well. Research using em units,
please. If you do this, you likely won't have the perceived problem you
asked about.

Knut Krueger

Beauregard said:
You are still using points for font sizing. Points are for printing.
Change font size to 100% so visitors can read it at their chosen size.

You have too much pixel-exact sizing as well. Research using em units,
please. If you do this, you likely won't have the perceived problem you
asked about.
what about the container with the left image #introduction
I need the container as big as the background image. I think this must
be fixed, must'n it?

Knut

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Knut said:
what about the container with the left image #introduction I need the
container as big as the background image. I think this must be fixed,
must'n it?

Try this: view your page in Firefox, and press Control-Plus twice.

Not pretty. Because of the low contrast of your text, I had to increase
its size to read it. And then your design falls apart.

Why don't you try using just one background image, and place it in body,
instead of trying to get pixel-perfect precision with adjacent images in
containers? Then remove the height from #introduction, and use just a
wee bit of bottom padding instead. In em units.

Again, please look into sizing font with: 100% and containers with em
units. Points (pt) are for print stylesheets.

Knut Krueger

Beauregard said:
You are still using points for font sizing. Points are for printing.
Change font size to 100% so visitors can read it at their chosen size.

You have too much pixel-exact sizing as well. Research using em units,
please. If you do this, you likely won't have the perceived problem you
asked about.

Now its working but I have still some fixed postitions:

The size of the banner because it should be as big as the images.
The banner is set to overflow:hidden; then the images will not appear in
two rows in a short window.
Therefore I could not set an em value

The container with the left image #introduction
I need the container as big as the background image.
and exact under the banner

I think this must be fixed, must'n it?

Thanks for your hint.

Knut Krueger

Beauregard said:
Try this: view your page in Firefox, and press Control-Plus twice.

Not pretty. Because of the low contrast of your text, I had to increase
its size to read it. And then your design falls apart.

There was no problem with my browser to read it, but the text is not in
the final style.
Why don't you try using just one background image, and place it in body,
instead of trying to get pixel-perfect precision with adjacent images in
containers? Then remove the height from #introduction, and use just a
wee bit of bottom padding instead. In em units.

There is only the left and top side left with fixed positions.
the present stye is http://sunshine-language.de/
I told the owner that there is a luck of functionality wihtout
javascript, but the owner wants a rest of background styling ..
Did`n you think that this is a compromise between layout an
functionality? Or did I not understand the point?

And by the way the background images are also not the final version.
Its only a working copy for the first try

Knut

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2007-05-24, Knut Krueger wrote:
There was no problem with my browser to read it,

You are the only person using your browser. Design your web site
for everyone else, and it will also look good in your browesr.

Knut Krueger

On 2007-05-24, Knut Krueger wrote:

You are the only person using your browser. Design your web site
for everyone else, and it will also look good in your browesr.
Sorry I forgot something:
There was no problem with my *Firefox* browser to read it,

means, I was not able to reproduce the problem of Beauregard with the
*same* browser type.

Regards Knut

Chris F.A. Johnson

Sorry I forgot something:
There was no problem with my *Firefox* browser to read it,

means, I was not able to reproduce the problem of Beauregard with the
*same* browser type.

Your *Firefox* browser is not my *Firefox* browser. There is no
guarantee, and it is very unlikely, that the page will look the same
in both.

Knut Krueger

Chris said:
Your *Firefox* browser is not my *Firefox* browser. There is no
guarantee, and it is very unlikely, that the page will look the same
in both.
so what? Mistakes happen - you can verify CSS and HTML. What would you
suggest if anybody tells you that the page looks bad in his browser but
not in all available browsers of you?

Knut