wierd cgi behaviour in PP Ruby 1.8.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Damphyr, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Damphyr

    Damphyr Guest

    Well it's the short calm period before the storm of an upcoming product
    release and I 'm stealing time to code something interesting for a change.
    And I've picked the time to switch from 1.6.8 to 1.8.0 :). Unfortunately
    the calm period is much too short to be able to do it on the Linux boxes
    (where code of some actual value is running ;) ) so I'm playing about
    with the PP package.
    And I've stumbled on some wierd behaviour using CGI.
    The following code is straightforward and simple:

    def taken? name
    b=["one","two"]
    return "" if (b.include?(name) )
    return " not"
    end

    name="one"
    puts "#{name} does #{taken?(name)} exist"
    name="three"
    puts "#{name} does #{taken?(name)} exist"

    will give:
    >ruby simple.rb

    one does exist
    three does not exist.

    Now, using a simple form and a mini http server (it's called Xerver -
    it's a java thingy that comes in handy) that is cgi capable I duplicate
    this functionality in the following:

    require 'cgi'
    def taken? name
    b=["one","two"]
    return "" if (b.include?(name) )
    return " not"
    end
    cgi = CGI.new("html3") # add HTML generation methods
    cgi.out {
    cgi.html { cgi.head { cgi.title{"Availability"} }+
    cgi.body { name=cgi.params["name"]
    "#{name} does #{taken?(name)} exist"}

    which outputs:

    one does not exist

    and

    three does not exist

    Does anybody have any idea why this would happen?
    I'll test it on an Apache installation I've got, but I can't see why it
    would be any different.
    V.-

    Damphyr, Jan 29, 2004