wierd error.....help please.....

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by John Pether (john@, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. have been working with a site and today started getting an error when uploaded page on the live server...everything works well locally...

    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://www.bchandbook.com/kalamunda/cats.asp'. Line 3, Position 2

    <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
    -^

    the top of the page looks like this...

    <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>

    Any ideas how to get rid of this??? is drivin me mad....have been at it for an hour or two....

    John Pether (john@, Jul 7, 2003

  2. John Pether (john@

    Evertjan. Guest

    john@<nospam>dotnetsites.net wrote on 07 jul 2003 in

    > <%@LANGUAGE=

    this code is asp.net

    This NG is only for classical ASP.

    Please see a dotnet group.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 7, 2003

  3. ??

    this is an asp page made in dreamweaver mx?? It is not asp.net??

    John Pether (john@, Jul 7, 2003
  4. John Pether (john@

    Evertjan. Guest

    john@<nospam>dotnetsites.net wrote on 07 jul 2003 in
    > this is an asp page made in dreamweaver mx?? It is not asp.net??

    My misreading. Sorry.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 7, 2003
  5. John Pether (john@

    Chris Barber Guest

    The @Language="VBScript" declaration is a server-side declaration that
    defines the default script engine.

    You can remove it if you know that your default script engine is VBScript
    (ASP).

    Chris.

    "John Pether" <john@<nospam>dotnetsites.net> wrote in message
    > ??
    >
    > this is an asp page made in dreamweaver mx?? It is not asp.net??

    > Sent via Fuzzy Software @ http://www.fuzzysoftware.com/
    > Comprehensive, categorised, searchable collection of links to ASP &

    ASP.NET resources...
    Chris Barber, Jul 7, 2003
  6. John Pether (john@

    Bob Barrows Guest

    You need to View Source to see the actual error message.

    ------

    Bob Barrows, Jul 7, 2003
  7. it wont let me see source...just says the xml file is unavailable for viewing

    John Pether (john@, Jul 7, 2003
  8. John Pether (john@

    Bob Barrows Guest

    John Pether wrote:
    > it wont let me see source...just says the xml file is unavailable for
    > viewing

    > Sent via Fuzzy Software @ http://www.fuzzysoftware.com/
    > Comprehensive, categorised, searchable collection of links to ASP &
    > ASP.NET resources...

    My mistake. I didn't realize you were dealing with a file. I thought you
    were doing a response.write using contenttype = text/xml.

    What happens if you just remove the <%Language... tag?
    Bob Barrows, Jul 7, 2003
  9. John Pether (john@

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Bob Barrows wrote:
    > John Pether wrote:
    >> it wont let me see source...just says the xml file is unavailable for
    >> viewing

    >> Sent via Fuzzy Software @ http://www.fuzzysoftware.com/
    >> Comprehensive, categorised, searchable collection of links to ASP &
    >> ASP.NET resources...

    > My mistake. I didn't realize you were dealing with a file. I thought
    > you were doing a response.write using contenttype = text/xml.
    >
    > What happens if you just remove the <%Language... tag?

    Actuall, just move this tag to the top of the page, BEFORE the xml tags
    begin.
    Bob Barrows, Jul 7, 2003
  10. John Pether (john@

    Mark Schupp Guest

    You might check the versions of MSXML between the server that works and the
    one that doesn't.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    --

    http://www.ielearning.com
    714.637.9480 x17

    > thankseveryone for trying to help but am still struggling with this

    one:(:(

    > The page is an asp page that displays a dynamic list. It is xhtml

    compliant and was made in dreamweaver mx.

    > I have pasted the full page below, basically it collects 2 sets of data

    from a sql server using stored procs on the sql server. These pages work
    fine locally and I have just uploaded to another host and again they worked
    fine, the only difference I can find betweeen the hosts that work and the
    one that doesn't is that the one that is not working does not have the .net
    framework installed, but as this is an asp page I am confused as to why that
    would effect the page and give an xml error!!!!

    > <code>

    > <%@language="vbscript" codepage="1252"%>
    >
    > <!--#include file="../Connections/****.asp" -->
    > <%
    > Dim GetCategories__CatID
    > GetCategories__CatID = "1"
    > If (Request.QueryString("parentcatid") <> "") Then
    > GetCategories__CatID = Request.QueryString("parentcatid")
    > End If
    > %>
    > <%
    > Dim GetCategories
    > Dim GetCategories_numRows
    >
    > Set GetCategories = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    > GetCategories.ActiveConnection = MM_BCH_STRING
    > GetCategories.Source = "{call dbo.GetCategories(" +

    Replace(GetCategories__CatID, "'", "''") + ")}"
    > GetCategories.CursorType = 0
    > GetCategories.CursorLocation = 2
    > GetCategories.LockType = 1
    > GetCategories.Open()
    >
    > GetCategories_numRows = 0
    > %>
    > <%
    > Dim GetSubCatName__CatID
    > GetSubCatName__CatID = "1"
    > If (Request.QueryString("parentcatid") <> "") Then
    > GetSubCatName__CatID = Request.QueryString("parentcatid")
    > End If
    > %>
    > <%
    > Dim GetSubCatName
    > Dim GetSubCatName_numRows
    >
    > Set GetSubCatName = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    > GetSubCatName.ActiveConnection = MM_BCH_STRING
    > GetSubCatName.Source = "{call dbo.GetSubCategory(" +

    Replace(GetSubCatName__CatID, "'", "''") + ")}"
    > GetSubCatName.CursorType = 0
    > GetSubCatName.CursorLocation = 2
    > GetSubCatName.LockType = 1
    > GetSubCatName.Open()
    >
    > GetSubCatName_numRows = 0
    > %>
    > <%
    > Dim Repeat1__numRows
    > Dim Repeat1__index
    >
    > Repeat1__numRows = 20
    > Repeat1__index = 0
    > GetCategories_numRows = GetCategories_numRows + Repeat1__numRows
    > %>
    > <head>
    > <title>Choose a Category</title>
    > <link href="../styles/****.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
    > </head>

    > <h1><%=(GetSubCatName.Fields.Item("CategoryName").Value)%></h1>
    > <%
    > While ((Repeat1__numRows <> 0) AND (NOT GetCategories.EOF))
    > %><tr>

    Request.QueryString("parentcatid")%>&catid=<%=(GetCategories.Fields.Item("ca
    tID").Value)%>"><%=(GetCategories.Fields.Item("CategoryName").Value)%></a>&n
    bsp;&nbsp;</td>

    Mark Schupp, Jul 8, 2003