Wierd error when building WDP - Data at the root level is invalid (web.config)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cirene, May 12, 2008.

  1. Cirene

    Cirene Guest

    My ASP.NET project builds fine (VS2008). I added a new web deployment
    project.

    When I try to build it I get:
    Data at the root level is invalid. Line1, position 1. (The file is
    web.config, line 1, column 1, in my deploy project.)

    I double click on the error and it shows this...
    vti_encoding:SR|utf8-nl
    vti_timelastmodified:TR|09 May 2008 01:16:09 -0000
    vti_extenderversion:SR|12.0.0.6211
    vti_author:SR|MYPC\\Administrator
    vti_modifiedby:SR|MYPC\\Administrator
    vti_timecreated:TR|08 May 2008 19:13:33 -0000
    vti_backlinkinfo:VX|
    vti_cacheddtm:TX|09 May 2008 01:16:09 -0000
    vti_filesize:IR|262

    There is a RED SQUIGGLY under the first line and when I hover my mouse it
    says: Invalid token 'Text' at root level of document

    Any ideas what this is all about? I never encountered this before. I
    recreated my WDP and it does the same thing.

    Cirene, May 12, 2008

  2. The vti_ is usually only used by the FrontPage Server Extensions. These
    enable VS and other MS products to be able to connect directly to a web
    server. This enables you to create a web application or site directly within
    IIS instead of using the file system. Are you sure this is your web.config
    file? I ask because the FP Server Extensions will have a whole bunch of
    files that contain meta-data information in special vti directories (such as
    vti_inf). The file names will be the same, but the contents will be data
    exactly like this that the server extensions use to track information about
    the file, such as the date modified/created, size, and type of data. Make
    sure you don't have any of the vti directories included in deployment as
    this could be what it is complaining about.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - Expression

    Mark Fitzpatrick, May 12, 2008

  3. Cirene

    Cirene Guest

    I initially created some of the sites using Expression web. So some of
    these dir might exist. Should I delete the dirs?

    Cirene, May 12, 2008