Wierd error when building WDP - Data at the root level is invalid (web.config)

Cirene

My ASP.NET project builds fine (VS2008). I added a new web deployment
project.

When I try to build it I get:
Data at the root level is invalid. Line1, position 1. (The file is
web.config, line 1, column 1, in my deploy project.)

I double click on the error and it shows this...
vti_encoding:SR|utf8-nl
vti_timelastmodified:TR|09 May 2008 01:16:09 -0000
vti_extenderversion:SR|12.0.0.6211
vti_author:SR|MYPC\\Administrator
vti_modifiedby:SR|MYPC\\Administrator
vti_timecreated:TR|08 May 2008 19:13:33 -0000
vti_backlinkinfo:VX|
vti_cacheddtm:TX|09 May 2008 01:16:09 -0000
vti_filesize:IR|262

There is a RED SQUIGGLY under the first line and when I hover my mouse it
says: Invalid token 'Text' at root level of document

Any ideas what this is all about? I never encountered this before. I
recreated my WDP and it does the same thing.

Mark Fitzpatrick

The vti_ is usually only used by the FrontPage Server Extensions. These
enable VS and other MS products to be able to connect directly to a web
server. This enables you to create a web application or site directly within
IIS instead of using the file system. Are you sure this is your web.config
file? I ask because the FP Server Extensions will have a whole bunch of
files that contain meta-data information in special vti directories (such as
vti_inf). The file names will be the same, but the contents will be data
exactly like this that the server extensions use to track information about
the file, such as the date modified/created, size, and type of data. Make
sure you don't have any of the vti directories included in deployment as
this could be what it is complaining about.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Cirene

I initially created some of the sites using Expression web. So some of
these dir might exist. Should I delete the dirs?