Wierd Problem - Operation Timeout - Urgent Please

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Niloday, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Niloday

    Niloday Guest

    Hi All,

    I have developed a web service and deployed it on the Win2000 box. I can
    access the web methods of this web service when my client application is
    debugged from VS.NET studio. But it fails with an 'Operation Timeout'
    exception when run from the compiled version. The client application is a
    windows forms application.

    The webserver has SSL certificate installed. It uses basic authentication.
    We are providing a valid un/pw and domain name while making a call to the
    web service. This information is being passed as NetworkCredentials in the
    credential cache of my service.

    Does anybody have any idea about what I might be missing that is causing the
    failure to access the webmethods in the runtime?

    Thanks in advance.

    Niloday, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Niloday

    Niloday Guest

    Hi All,

    I found that on the virtual directory of this web service the setting for
    "Request client certificate" was on. I changed it to ignore and the
    application is able to call the webmethods w/o any issues.

    Could anybody please shed some light on what must be happening here?

    Thanks in advance

    Niloday

    Niloday, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Niloday

    Nick Malik Guest

    Have you tried to hit the web service directly from another machine.
    Normally, when you are debugging, you will develop the web service, deploy
    it locally, then develop the client, and test it, all on the same machine.

    Web services, by default, work file when called from the local machine but
    do not allow calls from remote machines unless you enable them. This
    prevents development machines from becoming a big security or virus risk
    without the developer being aware of the danger.

    Try to hit the web service from IE browser on the server (should work) and
    then running on the client system (may work). If you cannot get access to
    the service, try enabling it in your web.config or machine.config (sorry, I
    don't remember the tags off the top of my head).

    --- Nick

    Nick Malik, Jul 21, 2004