Wierd Problem - Operation Timeout - Urgent Please

Niloday

Hi All,

I have developed a web service and deployed it on the Win2000 box. I can
access the web methods of this web service when my client application is
debugged from VS.NET studio. But it fails with an 'Operation Timeout'
exception when run from the compiled version. The client application is a
windows forms application.

The webserver has SSL certificate installed. It uses basic authentication.
We are providing a valid un/pw and domain name while making a call to the
web service. This information is being passed as NetworkCredentials in the
credential cache of my service.

Does anybody have any idea about what I might be missing that is causing the
failure to access the webmethods in the runtime?

Thanks in advance.

Niloday

Hi All,

I found that on the virtual directory of this web service the setting for
"Request client certificate" was on. I changed it to ignore and the
application is able to call the webmethods w/o any issues.

Could anybody please shed some light on what must be happening here?

Thanks in advance

Niloday

Nick Malik

Have you tried to hit the web service directly from another machine.
Normally, when you are debugging, you will develop the web service, deploy
it locally, then develop the client, and test it, all on the same machine.

Web services, by default, work file when called from the local machine but
do not allow calls from remote machines unless you enable them. This
prevents development machines from becoming a big security or virus risk
without the developer being aware of the danger.

Try to hit the web service from IE browser on the server (should work) and
then running on the client system (may work). If you cannot get access to
the service, try enabling it in your web.config or machine.config (sorry, I
don't remember the tags off the top of my head).

--- Nick