wifstream & locale

koara

Hello all,

I needed to read contents of an UTF8 encoded file in C++ (gcc version
3.3.5 on Linux). I decided to do it the C++ way, using streams:

-------------
std::locale utf8loc("en_US.utf8");
std::wifstream ifs("smthg");
ifs.imbue(utf8loc);
std::wstring item;

while (ifs >> item) {
here
}

------------

but the inner block ("here") never gets executed. I tried searching
around the web and my head spins, surely doing such mundane,
straightforward task cannot be that complicated in C++? What am I
doing wrong please? What should I test for, look out for?

Cheers.

To narrow down my problem:
* I don't want to use any non-standard functions, libraries etc.
* the input file is in UTF8, I want to read (parts of) its contents as
wstring

---------------
$ locale -a
POSIX
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8

Christopher

[...]

Mayhaps the file "smthg" does not contain text that is convertable to
a wstring? or no text at all?
What's in the file? Also did you ever check if it actually got opened?
Is it in the proper directory?

koara

Mayhaps the file "smthg" does not contain text that is convertable to
a wstring?

No. It contains text convertible to wstring.
What's in the file? Also did you ever check if it actually got opened?

Yes I did, problem is not in file opening.
File contains text with national characters (cz, de).

Cheers.