WIKI based language??

Tomas

Hi,

I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java Servlet,
that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
based language.

I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here. I've
tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful for
me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.

Best regards
/Tomas

Luke Webber

Tomas said:
Hi,

I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java Servlet,
that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
based language.

I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here. I've
tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful for
me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.

A wiki is not a language, it is a type of collaborative site...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

Luke

IchBin

Tomas said:
ok thanks. Any tip where i could find small java code examples of how such
a "WIKI" could be made?

/Tomas
Most come with source code. Just download and install one

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Luke Webber

Tomas said:
ok thanks. Any tip where i could find small java code examples of how such
a "WIKI" could be made?

Um, I thought you said this was homework? Yet you seem reluctant even to
do your own Google searches. I predict you will fail the course.

Luke

Rhino

Tomas said:
Hi,

I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java
Servlet,
that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
based language.

I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here. I've
tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful for
me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.
I *think* your teacher is proposing that you give your imaginary users a way
to create web content without first having to learn HTML. A wiki lets users
create web pages with a markup that is considerably simpler than regular
HTML (not that HTML is all that difficult in the first place!) so that
non-technical users can create content directly, without the intervention of
a technical person to do markup for them.

For example, in the wiki that I've used, you indicate an unordered list like
this:

Stooges:
* Larry
* Moe
* Curly
* Joe

which is considerably simpler than having to write:

<ul>
<li>Larry</li>
<li>Moe</li>
<li>Curly</li>
<li>Joe</li>
</ul>

I've only used one wiki myself, OddMuse, so I'm not sure if the codes used
in all wikis are the same as those used in OddMuse. However, I think your
instructor wants you to do something similar for an imaginary user who wants
to create a Blog without learning HTML and so forth.

So you may want to create your own codes for the sorts of structures you'd
see in blogs, like paragraphs, illustrations, rebuttals of the bloggers
remarks, or so forth.

Of course you may want to check with the teacher to be sure that I haven't
completely misunderstood the teacher's wishes. :)

Rhino

Atriper

you can search in the google with this word " define:wiki" ,
i think you can find what you want ,best regards.

Tomas

Luke Webber said:
Um, I thought you said this was homework? Yet you seem reluctant even to
do your own Google searches. I predict you will fail the course.

I have allready get done a lot of courses in programming. It was this WIKI
concept i've never heard of. I did a lot of searching but cause i did not
know what "WIKI" really stand for i did not find any good site. Therefore
i asked here.

If you dont want to help spare me your iq 0 comments!

Tomas

Rhino said:
[...]

Thanks. I think your right, it is something like this my teacher wants.

Monique Y. Mudama

Hi,

I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java
Servlet, that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own
defined "WIKI" based language.

I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help
here. I've tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find
anything helpful for me. So any tip on where i can find simple code
examples of how this works would be most appreciated. Or if you can
send me some code examples.

Best regards /Tomas

I have a hard time believing that you searched at all.

http://www.google.com/search?q=wiki

Second hit:

Wiki: What Is Wiki
Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create
and ... Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for
creating new pages ...
wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

Roedy Green

I have allready get done a lot of courses in programming. It was this WIKI
concept i've never heard of. I did a lot of searching but cause i did not
know what "WIKI" really stand for i did not find any good site. Therefore
i asked here.
I just put "Wiki" into google.ca and there were all kinds of hits
right at the top that would have told you what a Wiki was. Did you
use some other search engine? Try it now and see what I mean.

Chris Smith

Tomas said:
Thanks. I think your right, it is something like this my teacher wants.

It's generally best to start with something simple, and then build
upward from there. The minimum set of features that would define a Wiki
include:

1. Keeps pages with names in some kind of storage and displays them on
request by name.

2. Allows users to create and edit pages.

3. Provides an easy way, when editing a page, to insert a link to some
other page, by name.

All the other stuff, like numbered lists, bold face, etc. is optional,
and can be added after you get the essential features above in place and
working.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation