    would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.

    Best regards
    /Tomas

    Tomas, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Tomas

    Luke Webber Guest

    Tomas wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java Servlet,
    > that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
    > based language.
    >
    > I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here. I've
    > tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful for
    > me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
    > would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.

    A wiki is not a language, it is a type of collaborative site...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

    Luke

    Luke Webber, Dec 5, 2005

  3. Tomas

    Tomas Guest

    Luke Webber <> wrote:
    >Tomas wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java Servlet,
    >> that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
    >> based language.
    >>
    >> I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here.

    I've
    >> tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful

    for
    >> me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
    >> would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.

    >A wiki is not a language, it is a type of collaborative site...
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

    ok thanks. Any tip where i could find small java code examples of how such
    a "WIKI" could be made?

    /Tomas

    Tomas, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Tomas

    IchBin Guest

    Tomas wrote:
    > Luke Webber <> wrote:
    >> Tomas wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java Servlet,
    >>> that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
    >>> based language.
    >>>
    >>> I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here.

    > I've
    >>> tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful

    > for
    >>> me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
    >>> would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.

    >> A wiki is not a language, it is a type of collaborative site...
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

    > ok thanks. Any tip where i could find small java code examples of how such
    > a "WIKI" could be made?
    >
    > /Tomas
    >> Luke

    Most come with source code. Just download and install one

    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines

    --

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Tomas

    Luke Webber Guest

    Tomas wrote:
    > Luke Webber <> wrote:

    >>A wiki is not a language, it is a type of collaborative site...
    >>
    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

    > ok thanks. Any tip where i could find small java code examples of how such
    > a "WIKI" could be made?

    Um, I thought you said this was homework? Yet you seem reluctant even to
    do your own Google searches. I predict you will fail the course.

    Luke

    Luke Webber, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Tomas

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 05 Dec 2005 02:07:17 GMT, "Tomas" <> wrote,

    >I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here.

    Wikis typically use a toy version of HTML. The idea is you let anyone
    and his dog edit the website. It lets you back out changes by dorks.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/wiki.html

    Snipsnap wiki is SO buggy and ill designed it will make you go bald.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Dec 5, 2005
  7. Tomas

    Rhino Guest

    "Tomas" <> wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java
    > Servlet,
    > that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
    > based language.
    >
    > I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here. I've
    > tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful for
    > me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
    > would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.

    I *think* your teacher is proposing that you give your imaginary users a way
    to create web content without first having to learn HTML. A wiki lets users
    create web pages with a markup that is considerably simpler than regular
    HTML (not that HTML is all that difficult in the first place!) so that
    non-technical users can create content directly, without the intervention of
    a technical person to do markup for them.

    For example, in the wiki that I've used, you indicate an unordered list like
    this:

    Stooges:
    * Larry
    * Moe
    * Curly
    * Joe

    which is considerably simpler than having to write:

    <ul>
    <li>Larry</li>
    <li>Moe</li>
    <li>Curly</li>
    <li>Joe</li>
    </ul>

    I've only used one wiki myself, OddMuse, so I'm not sure if the codes used
    in all wikis are the same as those used in OddMuse. However, I think your
    instructor wants you to do something similar for an imaginary user who wants
    to create a Blog without learning HTML and so forth.

    So you may want to create your own codes for the sorts of structures you'd
    see in blogs, like paragraphs, illustrations, rebuttals of the bloggers
    remarks, or so forth.

    Of course you may want to check with the teacher to be sure that I haven't
    completely misunderstood the teacher's wishes. :)

    Rhino

    Rhino, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Tomas

    Atriper Guest

    you can search in the google with this word " define:wiki" ,
    i think you can find what you want ,best regards.

    Atriper, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Tomas

    Tomas Guest

    Luke Webber <> wrote:
    >Tomas wrote:
    >> Luke Webber <> wrote:

    >>>A wiki is not a language, it is a type of collaborative site...
    >>>
    >>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

    >> ok thanks. Any tip where i could find small java code examples of how

    such
    >> a "WIKI" could be made?

    >Um, I thought you said this was homework? Yet you seem reluctant even to

    >do your own Google searches. I predict you will fail the course.

    I have allready get done a lot of courses in programming. It was this WIKI
    concept i've never heard of. I did a lot of searching but cause i did not
    know what "WIKI" really stand for i did not find any good site. Therefore
    i asked here.

    If you dont want to help spare me your iq 0 comments!

    Tomas, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Tomas

    Tomas Guest

    "Rhino" <> wrote:

    >"Tomas" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java
    >> Servlet,
    >> that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own defined "WIKI"
    >> based language.
    >>
    >> I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help here.

    I've
    >> tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find anything helpful

    for
    >> me. So any tip on where i can find simple code examples of how this works
    >> would be most appreciated. Or if you can send me some code examples.
    >>

    >I *think* your teacher is proposing that you give your imaginary users a

    way
    >to create web content without first having to learn HTML. A wiki lets users

    >create web pages with a markup that is considerably simpler than regular

    >HTML (not that HTML is all that difficult in the first place!) so that
    >non-technical users can create content directly, without the intervention

    of
    >a technical person to do markup for them.
    >
    >For example, in the wiki that I've used, you indicate an unordered list

    like
    >this:
    >
    >Stooges:
    >* Larry
    >* Moe
    >* Curly
    >* Joe
    >
    >which is considerably simpler than having to write:

    ><ul>
    ><li>Larry</li>
    ><li>Moe</li>
    ><li>Curly</li>
    ><li>Joe</li>
    ></ul>
    >
    >I've only used one wiki myself, OddMuse, so I'm not sure if the codes used

    >in all wikis are the same as those used in OddMuse. However, I think your

    >instructor wants you to do something similar for an imaginary user who wants

    >to create a Blog without learning HTML and so forth.
    >
    >So you may want to create your own codes for the sorts of structures you'd

    >see in blogs, like paragraphs, illustrations, rebuttals of the bloggers

    >remarks, or so forth.
    >
    >Of course you may want to check with the teacher to be sure that I haven't

    >completely misunderstood the teacher's wishes. :)

    Thanks. I think your right, it is something like this my teacher wants.

    Tomas, Dec 5, 2005
  11. On 2005-12-05, Tomas penned:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a scool assignment where i'm going to make a blog,with java
    > Servlet, that a user can update easy. It is to be made with an own
    > defined "WIKI" based language.
    >
    > I have never heard of this "WIKI" so i hope i can get some help
    > here. I've tried to search "WIKI" on the internet but cant find
    > anything helpful for me. So any tip on where i can find simple code
    > examples of how this works would be most appreciated. Or if you can
    > send me some code examples.
    >
    > Best regards /Tomas

    I have a hard time believing that you searched at all.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=wiki

    Second hit:

    Wiki: What Is Wiki
    Wiki is a piece of server software that allows users to freely create
    and ... Wiki supports hyperlinks and has a simple text syntax for
    creating new pages ...
    wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

    --
    monique

    Ask smart questions, get good answers:

    Monique Y. Mudama, Dec 5, 2005
  12. Tomas

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 05 Dec 2005 13:55:46 GMT, "Tomas" <> wrote,

    >I have allready get done a lot of courses in programming. It was this WIKI
    >concept i've never heard of. I did a lot of searching but cause i did not
    >know what "WIKI" really stand for i did not find any good site. Therefore
    >i asked here.

    I just put "Wiki" into google.ca and there were all kinds of hits
    right at the top that would have told you what a Wiki was. Did you
    use some other search engine? Try it now and see what I mean.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Dec 5, 2005
  13. Tomas

    Chris Smith Guest

    Tomas <> wrote:
    > Thanks. I think your right, it is something like this my teacher wants.

    It's generally best to start with something simple, and then build
    upward from there. The minimum set of features that would define a Wiki
    include:

    1. Keeps pages with names in some kind of storage and displays them on
    request by name.

    2. Allows users to create and edit pages.

    3. Provides an easy way, when editing a page, to insert a link to some
    other page, by name.

    All the other stuff, like numbered lists, bold face, etc. is optional,
    and can be added after you get the essential features above in place and
    working.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation