Will creating a subdomain necessarily interfere with my main index.html?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by InertEmployer, Aug 23, 2011.

  1. I have a main web site which I created using FrontPage some time ago.
    Although it is VERY old (it looks a bit like those old text-based pre-
    WWW academic sites!!), I have no need to change it.

    My hosting company lets me create any number of subdomains and I have
    created one using iWeb (eg newreason.mysite.com). For some reason I
    cant understand, the hosting company's control panel associates a sub-
    domain with an e-mail address as opposed to the site itself?? In any
    event I cant figure out how to upload the pages in the sub-domain to
    the host's servers and they don't appear to have any technical support
    at the moment. When I try to upload pages to the subdomain, the
    servers reports a problem with my password. I am trying to get this
    resolved.

    The reason for my post is that I was wondering whether uploading pages
    in this way to my subdomain creates an index.html for that subdomain
    in the root of newreason.mysite.com or does it interfere with all the
    HTML in the domain's main index.html? 'Cos if it does, it sounds as if
    creating a subdomain with iWeb within a site created with FrontPage
    could be a nightmare? When I first created the site, I simply
    imported an even earlier site into FrontPage but there doesnt seem to
    be a way of importing my site into iWeb so that it both preserves (or
    properly creates) the domain's index.html and lets there be a sub-
    domain within/out it.

    Or is the only way of doing this to re-install FrontPage onto my
    computer, download the present site to my computer, upload iWeb's sub-
    domain to the web and then download the sub-domain to my computer's
    installed Front Page again? (then I won't, of course, be able to edit
    the 'new' site in iWeb).

    I dont need anything fancy whatsoever: The subdomain's pages are all
    text pages which have to be shown in a certain (original) format
    which shouldn't be changed and I cant jazz them up in any way beyond
    having a comments box at the end of each document and implementing
    Google AdSense on each page. All I need is to be able to add pages,
    change and/or add to the text occasionally.

    InertEmployer, Aug 23, 2011

  2. InertEmployer

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Aug 23, 9:41 am, InertEmployer <> wrote:
    > I have a main web site which I created using FrontPage some time ago.
    > Although it is VERY old (it looks a bit like those old text-based pre-
    > WWW academic sites!!), I have no need to change it.
    >
    > My hosting company lets me create any number of subdomains and I have
    > created one using iWeb (eg newreason.mysite.com). For some reason I
    > cant understand, the hosting company's control panel associates a sub-
    > domain with an e-mail address as opposed to the site itself??  In any
    > event I cant figure out how to upload the pages in the sub-domain to
    > the host's servers and they don't appear to have any technical support
    > at the moment. When I try to upload pages to the subdomain, the
    > servers reports a problem with my password. I am trying to get this
    > resolved.
    >
    > The reason for my post is that I was wondering whether uploading pages
    > in this way to my subdomain creates an index.html for that subdomain
    > in the root of newreason.mysite.com or does it interfere with all the
    > HTML in the domain's main index.html? 'Cos if it does, it sounds as if
    > creating a subdomain with iWeb within a site created with FrontPage
    > could be a nightmare?  When I first created the site, I simply
    > imported an even earlier site into FrontPage but there doesnt seem to
    > be a way of importing my site into iWeb so that it both preserves (or
    > properly creates)  the domain's index.html and lets there be a sub-
    > domain within/out it.
    >
    > Or is the only way of doing this to re-install FrontPage onto my
    > computer, download the present site to my computer, upload iWeb's sub-
    > domain to the web and then download the sub-domain to my computer's
    > installed Front Page again? (then I won't, of course, be able to edit
    > the 'new' site in iWeb).
    >
    > I dont need anything fancy whatsoever: The subdomain's pages are all
    > text pages which have to be shown in a certain (original)  format
    > which shouldn't be changed and I cant jazz them up in any way beyond
    > having a comments box at the end of each document and implementing
    > Google AdSense on each page.  All I need is to be able to add pages,
    > change and/or add to the text occasionally.

    The problem is that there are many variations in how web hosts are set
    up, and I have no idea how the one you use works. What kind of servers
    does it use, how is the control panel set up, what does it support,
    etc. Most hosts have a detailed description of these things available
    to users, and some also allow the general public to view this
    description. I have 2 domains and a subdomain of one of them also. The
    control panel for my account. allows setting up a new subdomain in the
    first place, following host instructions. The two domains and
    subdomain are all listed at the same level when you go to the control
    panel and navigate to where domains are listed. You can select the
    subdomain to set up any desired mail accounts much as you set up mail
    accounts for a domain. I upload from the computer using ftp. You can
    also edit a page directly on the server if you do not need to upload a
    complete new page. Some support FrontPage, and some do not. I never
    use FrontPage because I prefer to write my web pages the way I want
    them. Without a detailed description of how to manage your account
    written by the host or without direct help from the host, it could be
    very difficult and time consuming to decide what you need to do.

    cwdjrxyz, Aug 23, 2011

  3. On Aug 23, 3:11 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
> [...]

    > control panel for my account. allows setting up a new subdomain in the
    > first place, following host instructions. The two domains and
    > subdomain are all listed at the same level when you go to the control
    > panel and navigate to where domains are listed. You can select the
    > subdomain to set up any desired mail accounts much as you set up mail
    > accounts for a domain. I upload from the computer using ftp. You can
    > also edit a page directly on the server if you do not need to upload a
    > complete new page. Some support FrontPage, and some do not. I never
    > use FrontPage because I prefer to write my web pages the way I want
    > them. Without a detailed description of how to manage your account
    > written by the host  or without direct help from the host, it could be
    > very difficult and time consuming to decide what you need to do.

    Yes, I agree but what about the index.html point firstly please? If I
    upload all sorts of pages to the sub-domain (all of which are
    independent of what is on the main domain) will it alter the main
    index.html file and render the domain invisible, - because iWeb has
    inputted no pages for the domain, - only the sub-domain? Put another
    way, as far as I am aware (i.e. not much) there is only one root and
    that is where the site's index.html file is: Does a subdomain have its
    own index.html file?

    InertEmployer, Aug 23, 2011
  4. InertEmployer <> writes:
    <snip>
    >> On Aug 23, 9:41 am, InertEmployer <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >> > I have a main web site which I created using FrontPage some time ago.

    <snip
    >> > The reason for my post is that I was wondering whether uploading pages
    >> > in this way to my subdomain creates an index.html for that subdomain
    >> > in the root of newreason.mysite.com or does it interfere with all the
    >> > HTML in the domain's main index.html? 'Cos if it does, it sounds as if
    >> > creating a subdomain with iWeb within a site created with FrontPage
    >> > could be a nightmare?

    <snip>
    > [...] Put another
    > way, as far as I am aware (i.e. not much) there is only one root and
    > that is where the site's index.html file is: Does a subdomain have its
    > own index.html file?

    Yes, it should. And uploading files to one domain should not affect
    another even when one is a sub-domain of the other. All of this, of
    course, is about how things *should* work. It's possible that your
    hosting company has entangled things in such a way that this is not what
    happens, but since I can't see any advantage to messing things up like
    that, it seems fair to assume that it works as it should unless you come
    across evidence that it does not. Sites with different domain names
    should be entirely separate unless you take special steps to interlink
    them is some way.

    --
    Ben.

    Ben Bacarisse, Aug 23, 2011
  5. InertEmployer

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <
    m>,
    InertEmployer <> wrote:
    > I cant figure out how to upload the pages in the sub-domain to
    > the host's servers and they don't appear to have any technical support
    > at the moment. When I try to upload pages to the subdomain, the
    > servers reports a problem with my password. I am trying to get this
    > resolved.

    How did you create the subdomain in the first place? What do your
    main domain server files look like in an FTP software browser
    window, is there a folder there with the name of the subdomain
    and can you look in this folder to see what is already there (if
    anything)?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 24, 2011
  6. Re: Will creating a subdomain necessarily interfere with my mainindex.html?

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article
    > <
    > m>,
    > InertEmployer<> wrote:
    >> I cant figure out how to upload the pages in the sub-domain to
    >> the host's servers and they don't appear to have any technical support
    >> at the moment. When I try to upload pages to the subdomain, the
    >> servers reports a problem with my password. I am trying to get this
    >> resolved.

    > How did you create the subdomain in the first place? What do your
    > main domain server files look like in an FTP software browser
    > window, is there a folder there with the name of the subdomain
    > and can you look in this folder to see what is already there (if
    > anything)?

    It all has to do with the server configuration. The hosting company may
    have a user web interface control panel but it still boils down the what
    server path is associated with the document root for each subdomain. The
    could vary depending on the hosting company, and you should take it up
    with their support.

    Example:

    Subdomain Document Root
    --------------- ---------------------------------------------
    www.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/www
    foo.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/foo-site
    bar.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/bar-site
    baz.example.com /server101/users/yourprofile/somewhere/else

    Put a index.html

    '/server1010/users/yourprofile/www' folder and that is what will show
    with 'http://www/example.com'

    Put another index.html file in '/server101/users/yourprofile/bar-site'
    and that is the one that will be displayed for 'http://bar.example.com'.
    One will have no interference with any other if the the document roots
    point to different folders...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 24, 2011
  7. On Aug 23, 10:19 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article
    > > <
    > > m>,
    > >   InertEmployer<>  wrote:
    > >> I cant figure out how to upload the pages in the sub-domain to
    > >> the host's servers and they don't appear to have any technical support
    > >> at the moment. When I try to upload pages to the subdomain, the
    > >> servers reports a problem with my password. I am trying to get this
    > >> resolved.

    > > How did you create the subdomain in the first place? What do your
    > > main domain server files look like in an FTP software browser
    > > window, is there a folder there with the name of the subdomain
    > > and can you look in this folder to see what is already there (if
    > > anything)?

    > It all has to do with the server configuration. The hosting company may
    > have a user web interface control panel but it still boils down the what
    > server path is associated with the document root for each subdomain. The
    > could vary depending on the hosting company, and you should take it up
    > with their support.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > Subdomain                 Document Root
    > ---------------     ---------------------------------------------www.example.com    /server101/users/yourprofile/www
    > foo.example.com     /server101/users/yourprofile/foo-site
    > bar.example.com     /server101/users/yourprofile/bar-site
    > baz.example.com     /server101/users/yourprofile/somewhere/else
    >
    > Put a index.html
    >
    > '/server1010/users/yourprofile/www' folder and that is what will show
    > with 'http://www/example.com'
    >
    > Put another index.html file in  '/server101/users/yourprofile/bar-site'
    > and that is the one that will be displayed for 'http://bar.example.com'.
    > One will have no interference with any other if the the document roots
    > point to different folders...
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Well I think i have everything worked out: Turns out there was a
    problem with the servers which werent accepting my password despite it
    being entered correctly and then when I tried to upload the whole
    site, MS Word was putting some piece of code into one of the first
    pages which was preventing the site accepting any further files
    uploading. The only way to get past that file was to paste it into
    notepad and cut and paste the whole page back into iWeb.

    THen everything worked. Now I have to work out which program to use
    permanently to modify the sub-domain as necessary. I dont necessarily
    trust iWeb as it is probably just about to be phased out with MobileMe.

    InertEmployer, Aug 29, 2011
  8. Re: Will creating a subdomain necessarily interfere with my mainindex.html?

    InertEmployer wrote:

    > site, MS Word was putting some piece of code into one of the first
    > pages which was preventing the site accepting any further files
    > uploading. The only way to get past that file was to paste it into
    > notepad and cut and paste the whole page back into iWeb.

    MS Word (in fact ANY MS office product) is not suitable for web
    development, except for the very very limited role in the composition,
    spell check, and grammar check of the textual content (absolutely
    sans-formatting).

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 29, 2011
  9. On Aug 29, 2:35 pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    > InertEmployer wrote:
    > > site, MS Word was putting some piece of code into one of the first
    > > pages which was preventing the site accepting any further files
    > > uploading. The only way to get past that file was to paste it into
    > > notepad and cut and paste the whole page back into iWeb.

    > MS Word (in fact ANY MS office product) is not suitable for web
    > development, except for the very very limited role in the composition,
    > spell check, and grammar check of the textual content (absolutely
    > sans-formatting).
    >
    > --
    > Take care,
    >
    > Jonathan
    > -------------------
    > LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Yes, I think I learned that the hard way. And I thought that the whole
    point of creating a document format which was incompatible with lots
    of other programs (the .docx format as opposed to the .doc one of
    earlier Office programs) was to facilitate web optimisation etc

    InertEmployer, Aug 31, 2011
  10. Re: Will creating a subdomain necessarily interfere with my mainindex.html?

    InertEmployer wrote:
    > Yes, I think I learned that the hard way. And I thought that the whole
    > point of creating a document format which was incompatible with lots
    > of other programs (the .docx format as opposed to the .doc one of
    > earlier Office programs) was to facilitate web optimisation etc

    docx uses XML to be "compatible" with ODF, but XML does not necessarily
    mean "web compatible"...the flame thread on HTML vs XHTML can attest.
    But to underscore what MS Word can do (without all kinds of fussing) as
    a web page editor see how a simple HTML bloats when saved in Word.

    ##### Hand-coded:

    <head>

    <title>Simple Page</title>

    body { font: large normal sans-serif; color: #000; background: #fee; }
    em { color: #f00;}

    </head>
    when edited in MS Word</p>

    ##### Word bloat:

    xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice"
    xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:word"
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

    <head>
    <link rel=File-List href="Simple2_files/filelist.xml">
    <title>Simple Page</title>
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <o:DocumentProperties>
    <o:Author>Jonathan N Little</o:Author>
    <o:LastAuthor>Jonathan N Little</o:LastAuthor>
    <o:Revision>2</o:Revision>
    <o:TotalTime>0</o:TotalTime>
    <o:Created>2011-08-31T14:11:00Z</o:Created>
    <o:LastSaved>2011-08-31T14:11:00Z</o:LastSaved>
    <o:pages>1</o:pages>
    <o:Words>10</o:Words>
    <o:Characters>61</o:Characters>
    <o:Company>Little Works Studio</o:Company>
    <o:Lines>1</o:Lines>
    <o:paragraphs>1</o:paragraphs>
    <o:CharactersWithSpaces>70</o:CharactersWithSpaces>
    <o:Version>10.6870</o:Version>
    </o:DocumentProperties>
    <w:WordDocument>
    <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
    </w:WordDocument>
    </xml><![endif]-->
    <!--
    /* Font Definitions */
    @font-face
    {font-family:"normal sans-serif";
    panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;
    mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman";
    mso-font-charset:0;
    mso-generic-font-family:roman;
    mso-font-format:eek:ther;
    mso-font-pitch:auto;
    mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}
    /* Style Definitions */
    {mso-style-parent:"";
    margin:0in;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    em
    {color:red;}
    {font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    @page Section1
    {size:8.5in 11.0in;
    margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;
    mso-header-margin:.5in;
    mso-footer-margin:.5in;
    mso-paper-source:0;}
    div.Section1
    {page:Section1;}
    -->
    <!--[if gte mso 10]>
    /* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0in;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    <![endif]-->
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
    <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="2050"/>
    <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
    <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/>
    </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
    </head>

    sans-serif";color:black'>A
    sans-serif"'>very</span></em><span
    style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif";color:black'> simple
    page that gets </span><em><span
    style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif"'>bloated
    to the max</span></em><span style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal
    sans-serif";
    color:black'> when edited in MS Word<o:p></o:p></span></p>

    ##### Still mucked up when using MS Word;s "Filter HTML" feature:

    <head>
    <title>Simple Page</title>

    <!--
    /* Font Definitions */
    @font-face
    {font-family:"normal sans-serif";
    panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;}
    /* Style Definitions */
    {margin:0in;
    margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    em
    {color:red;}
    {font-size:12.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";}
    @page Section1
    {size:8.5in 11.0in;
    margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
    div.Section1
    {page:Section1;}
    -->

    </head>

    sans-serif";color:black'>A
    sans-serif"'>very</span></em><span
    style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif";color:black'> simple
    page that gets </span><em><span
    style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal sans-serif"'>bloated
    to the max</span></em><span style='font-size:18.0pt;font-family:"normal
    sans-serif";
    color:black'> when edited in MS Word</span></p>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 31, 2011