Will Java Enterprise Edition work well on Vista Business?

DaveJohnson12

I'm getting a new computer. I can get it with either XP Pro or Vista
Business and I need one of these to run Java Enterprise Edition. I
need it for JSP, Servlets and probably other things that I don't know
about. I'm learning Java.

Does it run reasonably well with Vista Business? Thanks.

Arne Vajhøj

DaveJohnson12@nomail. said:
I'm getting a new computer. I can get it with either XP Pro or Vista
Business and I need one of these to run Java Enterprise Edition. I
need it for JSP, Servlets and probably other things that I don't know
about. I'm learning Java.

Does it run reasonably well with Vista Business? Thanks.

Java EE is not really software. More like a bunch of PDF docs.

There are multiple applications servers available that implements
the Java EE specs.

My assumption would be that most applications servers are
isolated from the OS by the Java SE.

Multiple suppliers for Java SE also exist for Windows Vista.

So I would assume it would work fine on Windows Vista.

If you tell us exactly what versions of which application server
with which Java you plan on using then we may be able to give
more specific answer.

Arne

DaveJohnson12

Java EE is not really software. More like a bunch of PDF docs.

There are multiple applications servers available that implements
the Java EE specs.

My assumption would be that most applications servers are
isolated from the OS by the Java SE.

Multiple suppliers for Java SE also exist for Windows Vista.

So I would assume it would work fine on Windows Vista.

If you tell us exactly what versions of which application server
with which Java you plan on using then we may be able to give
more specific answer.

Arne

Thank you. Sorry I used the wrong terminology. I am planning to learn
about JSP and Servlets. I haven't started yet. I will need whatever
application servers are required for JSP and Servlets. I will most
likely use the most recent versions of whatever application servers I
will need. I _think_ what I need is the Java EE SDK and I'm not yet
sure what else in addition to that.

I am still learning Java from the Sun tutorial "Trails Covering the
Basics". http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ I'm almost finished
with this and I am thinking about what I will learn after the basics.

Many people have talked about software not working very well with
Vista so I decided to ask here. I'm also considering getting XP Pro to
avoid any possible problems with Vista Business.

Lew

DaveJohnson12@nomail. said:
I am planning to learn
about JSP and Servlets [sic]. I haven't started yet. I will need whatever
application servers are required for JSP and Servlets. I will most
likely use the most recent versions of whatever application servers I
will need. I _think_ what I need is the Java EE SDK and I'm not yet
sure what else in addition to that.

For just JSP and servlets, Tomcat is ideal.
<http://tomcat.apache.org/>

Tomcat supports JSPs, servlets (which JSPs really are, in a view-artifact
disguise), and also Java Server Faces (JSF) and limited Java Persistence API
(JPA) functionality, with the right add-in JARs.

The application containers, like Glassfish (the "Java EE SDK"), Apache
Geronimo and JBoss, are more complex to administer, but provide many, many
more features.

Mark Space

DaveJohnson12@nomail. said:
I'm getting a new computer. I can get it with either XP Pro or Vista
Business and I need one of these to run Java Enterprise Edition. I
need it for JSP, Servlets and probably other things that I don't know
about. I'm learning Java.

Does it run reasonably well with Vista Business? Thanks.

I have Vista Premium and it works great for development. I can't say
about running a production server.

Get NetBeans, it has all that in one download, and a nifty IDE too. Or
at least check it out. The develop-deploy-debug cycle is really nice,
just top notch. I'm blown-away that they can do anything like that for
a web app.

DaveJohnson12

I have Vista Premium and it works great for development. I can't say
about running a production server.

Thanks. That helps to know.
Get NetBeans, it has all that in one download, and a nifty IDE too. Or
at least check it out. The develop-deploy-debug cycle is really nice,
just top notch. I'm blown-away that they can do anything like that for
a web app.

I'll try it.

DaveJohnson12

DaveJohnson12@nomail. said:
I am planning to learn
about JSP and Servlets [sic]. I haven't started yet. I will need whatever
application servers are required for JSP and Servlets. I will most
likely use the most recent versions of whatever application servers I
will need. I _think_ what I need is the Java EE SDK and I'm not yet
sure what else in addition to that.

For just JSP and servlets, Tomcat is ideal.
<http://tomcat.apache.org/>

Tomcat supports JSPs, servlets (which JSPs really are, in a view-artifact
disguise), and also Java Server Faces (JSF) and limited Java Persistence API
(JPA) functionality, with the right add-in JARs.

The application containers, like Glassfish (the "Java EE SDK"), Apache
Geronimo and JBoss, are more complex to administer, but provide many, many
more features.

Thank you. This is useful information.

Arne Vajhøj

DaveJohnson12@nomail. said:
Thank you. Sorry I used the wrong terminology. I am planning to learn
about JSP and Servlets. I haven't started yet. I will need whatever
application servers are required for JSP and Servlets. I will most
likely use the most recent versions of whatever application servers I
will need. I _think_ what I need is the Java EE SDK and I'm not yet
sure what else in addition to that.

I am still learning Java from the Sun tutorial "Trails Covering the
Basics". http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ I'm almost finished
with this and I am thinking about what I will learn after the basics.

Many people have talked about software not working very well with
Vista so I decided to ask here. I'm also considering getting XP Pro to
avoid any possible problems with Vista Business.

SUN JDK for Java SE 6 and a servlet container like Apache Tomcat
should be fine for Windows Vista.

You will probably want the Java EE SDK for jar files to build against
and for the docs.

Arne

DaveJohnson12

SUN JDK for Java SE 6 and a servlet container like Apache Tomcat
should be fine for Windows Vista.

You will probably want the Java EE SDK for jar files to build against
and for the docs.

Arne

Great. Thank you very much. Is the Java EE SDK the file at the link
below?

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...I48il9lGI4o9LSCTA5icAWtD9agXgwIhHItW7_ljWtQ==

I got to that page from

http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

where it says: † Additional download option: Java Application Platform
SDK download without Java SE (JDK).

So far I have the "Java EE + Tools" from
http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp
which also doesn't include the Java SE (JDK).

Arne Vajhøj

DaveJohnson12@nomail. said:
Great. Thank you very much. Is the Java EE SDK the file at the link
below?

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...I48il9lGI4o9LSCTA5icAWtD9agXgwIhHItW7_ljWtQ==

I got to that page from

http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp

where it says: † Additional download option: Java Application Platform
SDK download without Java SE (JDK).

So far I have the "Java EE + Tools" from
http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/index.jsp
which also doesn't include the Java SE (JDK).

http://java.sun.com/javaee/downloads/?intcmp=1282

click download for the bundle you want

select platform and language

Arne