Will Microsoft J# Browser Controls run pure Java 1.1?

Mickey Segal

Microsoft is offering "Microsoft J# Browser Controls" to "provide developers
with a way to migrate their existing Java applet source code to run within the
context of the Microsoft .NET Framework"
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/vjsharp/downloads/browsercontrols/).

Does this mean one will be able to use any Java 1.1 code that would run in the
Microsoft Java VM in this new environment?

If so, does installing their beta release disable any functionality such as the
Microsoft JVM?

If not, how much tweaking is necessary to support this new Microsoft platform
and what doesn't work?

Mickey Segal

Andrew Thompson said:
Statements on that page such as the following make me laugh..
"Why is Microsoft providing this functionality?
A: Customers say that they want the ability to migrate away from
Java applets because of the risk for security vulnerabilities with
their existing applets. " ;-)

I add another voice to not having gotten this complaint from applet users.

But it is important to know in what environments our code can run. Will the
Microsoft J# Browser Controls give the "seamless Microsoft VM experience" that
Microsoft people were referring to in 2001?

Tim Tyler

: Statements on that page such as the following make me laugh..
: "Why is Microsoft providing this functionality?
: A: Customers say that they want the ability to migrate away from
: Java applets because of the risk for security vulnerabilities with
: their existing applets. " ;-)

Their JVM has a history of critical security vulnerabilities -
and many network andminstrators will have disabled it as a result.

Critical flaw in Windows could allow rogue Java code
http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/security/story/0,2000048600,20270880,00.htm

Microsoft Patches Critical Virtual Machine Flaw

Andrew Thompson

Tim Tyler said:
: Statements on that page such as the following make me laugh..
: "Why is Microsoft providing this functionality?
: A: Customers say that they want the ability to migrate away from
: Java applets because of the risk for security vulnerabilities with
: their existing applets. " ;-)

Their JVM has a history of critical security vulnerabilities -
and many network andminstrators will have disabled it as a result.
<links snipped>

So, to summarize for those that came in late..

Micro$oft is trying to convince us to 'migrate' Applets
(that work without any security concerns in Sun's JVM)
into the M$ .NET framework, because M$'s _own_
JVM is insecure..

And.. we are supposed to believe M$ can make .NET
secure?? Ba-Ha-Haaa-Ha.

_Classic_ M$ misinformation.
Some things never change. :-(

Joona I Palaste

Andrew Thompson said:
<links snipped>
So, to summarize for those that came in late..
Micro$oft is trying to convince us to 'migrate' Applets
(that work without any security concerns in Sun's JVM)
into the M$ .NET framework, because M$'s _own_
JVM is insecure..
And.. we are supposed to believe M$ can make .NET
secure?? Ba-Ha-Haaa-Ha.
_Classic_ M$ misinformation.
Some things never change. :-(

"Java is insecure..." "Iraq has loads of weapons of mass destruction..."
There are fools born every minute.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"'I' is the most beautiful word in the world."

Andrew Thompson

Grant Wagner said:
Andrew Thompson wrote:

.Net doesn't have to be made secure, it is. Please show me a link to a page
which demonstrates a current vulnerability in the .Net Framework or CLR if
you believe otherwise.

Judicious choice of words there, Grant.
M$ (yes, yes - just to irritate you _personally_) itself announced..
http://www.microsoft.com/security/passport_issue.asp
Classic anti-Microsoft (note, not the silly and infantile M$) paranoia.

Some things never change.

ahhh.. yes, & I can see us having this same conversation (as
we've had before) in ten years (or sooner) too.