Will Python 3.0 remove the global interpreter lock (GIL)

llothar

I'm afraid that the GIL is killing the usefullness of python for some
types of applications now where 4,8 oder 64 threads on a chip are here
or comming soon.

What is the status about that for the future of python?

I know that at the moment allmost nobody in the scripting world has
solved this problem, but it bites and it bites hard. Only groovy as a
Java Plugin has support but i never tried it. Writing an interpreter
that does MT this seems to be extremely difficult to do it right, with
lots of advanced stuff like CAS and lock free programming.

Even Smalltalk and Common Lisp didn't get it until know (with the
exception of certain experiments).

Eduardo O. Padoan

I'm afraid that the GIL is killing the usefullness of python for some
types of applications now where 4,8 oder 64 threads on a chip are here
or comming soon.

What is the status about that for the future of python?

I know that at the moment allmost nobody in the scripting world has
solved this problem, but it bites and it bites hard. Only groovy as a
Java Plugin has support but i never tried it. Writing an interpreter
that does MT this seems to be extremely difficult to do it right, with
lots of advanced stuff like CAS and lock free programming.

Even Smalltalk and Common Lisp didn't get it until know (with the
exception of certain experiments).

No. http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=211430

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Luis_M=2E_Gonz=E1lez?=

Thanks. I whish there would be a project for rewritting the C
interpreter
to make it better and more useable for threading use.

But the CPU infrastructure is also not perfect enough so maybe it's
good to
wait with this a few more years until Intel and AMD know what they are
doing.

I read somewhere that PYPY won't have the interpreter lock (I may be
wrong though).
Check it out: http://codespeak.net/pypy

Evan Klitzke

I'm afraid that the GIL is killing the usefullness of python for some
types of applications now where 4,8 oder 64 threads on a chip are here
or comming soon.

What is the status about that for the future of python?

The GIL is an implementation specific issue with CPython. It will not be
removed in CPython for the forseeable future, but you can already get a
GIL-free interpreter with Jython and IronPython. AFAIK there are plans
to remove the GIL in PyPy.

According to the last PyPy release announcement, they're running at
about half the speed of CPython, and have a preliminary JIT that can
translate certain integer operations into assembly, and will be expanded
upon in future releases. If you're looking for a progressive alternative
to CPython, I'd keep an eye on that project ;-)

Michele Simionato

I'm afraid that the GIL is killing the usefullness of python for some
types of applications now where 4,8 oder 64 threads on a chip are here
or comming soon.

What is the status about that for the future of python?

This is FAQ. You will find thousands of discussion on the net about
that.
My personal opinion (and I am not the only one in the Python
community) is that
if you want to scale the way to go is to use processes, not threads,
so removing the GIL would be a waste of effort anyway.
Look at the 'processing' module in PyPI.

Michele Simionato

king kikapu

My personal opinion (and I am not the only one in the Python
community) is that
if you want to scale the way to go is to use processes, not threads,
so removing the GIL would be a waste of effort anyway.
Look at the 'processing' module in PyPI.

Michele Simionato

I second that. You may also look here,
http://www.parallelpython.com/

I tested it and work as expected. You can see all your processing-
cores work nicely and balanced.

Ben Finney

Michele Simionato said:
This is FAQ. You will find thousands of discussion on the net about
that.
My personal opinion (and I am not the only one in the Python
community) is that if you want to scale the way to go is to use
processes, not threads, so removing the GIL would be a waste of
effort anyway.

Yes. Processes are cheap on well-designed operating systems, and using
processes to subdivide your processor usage encourages simple, modular
interfaces between parts of a program. Threads, while also cheap, are
much more difficult and fiddly to program correctly, hence are rarely
an overall win.

One common response to that is "Processes are expensive on Win32". My
response to that is that if you're programming on Win32 and expecting
the application to scale well, you already have problems that must
first be addressed that are far more fundamental than the GIL.

king kikapu

I was wondering (and maybe i still do) about this GIL "problem". I am
relatively new to Python (less than a year) and when i started to
think about it i said: "Oh, this IS a problem". But when i dig a
little more, i found that "Ah, maybe it isn't".
I strongly believe that the best usage of multiple cores processor
will be achieved if programming languages are modified to support this
on their "hearts". Code blocks that would be identified by the
compiler and run in parallel and such things. Laboratories are working
on these stuff but i do not expect something in the very-near future.

So, as i mentioned above, there are solutions for that right now
("parallel python" and others) that enabled us with little effort to
spawn a new python interpreter, thus allowing the OS to schedule it on
a different core and do the job this way relatively cheap.
I wouldn't recommend going to IronPython despite the fact that the CLR
better utilize MP. The reason for this is that i would NEVER give up
the freedom that CPython gives me by exchange "better" usage of the MP
and platform lock-in.

[...]

TheFlyingDutchman

"No. We're not changing the CPython implementation much. Getting rid
of the GIL would be a massive rewrite of the interpreter because all
the internal data structures (and the reference counting operations)
would have to be made thread-safe. This was tried once before (in the
late '90s by Greg Stein) and the resulting interpreter ran twice as
slow."

How much faster/slower would Greg Stein's code be on today's
processors versus CPython running on the processors of the late
1990's? And if you decide to answer, please add a true/false response
to this statement - "CPython in the late 1990's ran too slow".

Terry Reedy

meant:http://www.artima.com/forums/threaded.jsp?forum=106&thread=211200

| > --http://www.advogato.org/person/eopadoan/
| > Bookmarks:http://del.icio.us/edcrypt
|
| "No. We're not changing the CPython implementation much. Getting rid
| of the GIL would be a massive rewrite of the interpreter because all
| the internal data structures (and the reference counting operations)
| would have to be made thread-safe. This was tried once before (in the
| late '90s by Greg Stein) and the resulting interpreter ran twice as
| slow."

Since Guido wrote that, there have been put forth more ideas and interest
and promises of efforts to remove or revise the GIL or do other things to
make using multiple cores easier. (The later being the point of the
concern over GIL.)

| How much faster/slower would Greg Stein's code be on today's
| processors versus CPython running on the processors of the late
| 1990's?

Perhaps a bit faster, though processor speeds have not increased so much
the last couple of years.

|And if you decide to answer, please add a true/false response
| to this statement - "CPython in the late 1990's ran too slow".

False by late 1990's standards, True by today's standards ;-).

Most people are not currently bothered by the GIL and would not want its
speed halved.

In any case, any of the anti-GIL people are free to update Stein's code and
distribute a GIl-less version of CPython. (Or to use Jython or
IronPython.)

tjr

Steven D'Aprano

How much faster/slower would Greg Stein's code be on today's processors
versus CPython running on the processors of the late 1990's?

I think a better question is, how much faster/slower would Stein's code
be on today's processors, versus CPython being hand-simulated in a giant
virtual machine made of clockwork?

Grant Edwards

I think a better question is, how much faster/slower would
Stein's code be on today's processors, versus CPython being
hand-simulated in a giant virtual machine made of clockwork?

That depends on whether you have the steam-driven model or the
water-wheel driven model. The steam-drive one is quite a bit
faster once you get it going, but the water-wheel model has a
much shorter start-up time (though it is more weather
dependent).

TheFlyingDutchman

I think a better question is, how much faster/slower would Stein's code
be on today's processors, versus CPython being hand-simulated in a giant
virtual machine made of clockwork?

Steven, You forgot this part:

"And if you decide to answer, please add a true/false response
to this statement - "CPython in the late 1990's ran too slow"'.

Paul Boddie

How much faster/slower would Greg Stein's code be on today's
processors versus CPython running on the processors of the late
1990's? And if you decide to answer, please add a true/false response
to this statement - "CPython in the late 1990's ran too slow".

Too slow for what? And what's the fixation with CPython, anyway? Other
implementations of Python 2.x don't have the GIL. Contrary to popular
folklore, Jython has been quite a reasonable implementation of Python
for about half as long as CPython has been around, if you don't mind
the JVM. I'm sure people have lots of complaints about Jython like
they do about CPython and the GIL, thinking that complaining about it
is going to make the situation better, or that they're imparting some
kind of "wisdom" to which the people who actually wrote the code must
be oblivious, but nobody is withholding the code from anyone who wants
to actually improve it.

And there we learn something: that plenty of people are willing to
prod others into providing them with something that will make their
lives better, their jobs easier, and their profits greater, but not so
many are interested in contributing back to the cause and taking on
very much of the work themselves. Anyway, the response to your
statement is "false". Now you'll have to provide us with the insight
we're all missing. Don't disappoint!

Paul

TheFlyingDutchman

[...]

Paul it's a pleasure to see that you are not entirely against
complaints.

The very fastest Intel processor of the last 1990's that I found came
out in October 1999 and had a speed around 783Mhz. Current fastest
processors are something like 3.74 Ghz, with larger caches. Memory is
also faster and larger. It appears that someone running a non-GIL
implementation of CPython today would have significantly faster
performance than a GIL CPython implementation of the late 1990's.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that saying non-GIL CPython is
too slow, while once valid, has become invalid due to the increase in
computing power that has taken place.

Terry Reedy

| Since Guido wrote that, there have been put forth more ideas and interest
| and promises of efforts to remove or revise the GIL or do other things to
| make using multiple cores easier. (The later being the point of the
| concern over GIL.)

A few days ago, an undergraduate posted on the dev list that he just
started an independent study project on removing the GIL. Maybe we'll get
a report early next year.

Guido also said that he is willing to make changes to the CPython internals
to aid multiproccessor usage [as long, presumably, as it does not cut speed
in half].

|| How much faster/slower would Greg Stein's code be on today's
|| processors versus CPython running on the processors of the late
|| 1990's?
|
| Perhaps a bit faster, though processor speeds have not increased so much
| the last couple of years.

This assumes that comparing versions of 1.5 is still relevant. As far as I
know, his patch has not been maintained to apply against current Python.
This tells me that no one to date really wants to dump the GIL at the cost
of half Python's speed. Of course not. The point of dumping the GIL is to
use multiprocessors to get more speed! So with two cores and extra
overhead, Stein-patched 1.5 would not even break even.

Quad (and more) cores are a different matter. Hence, I think, the
resurgence of interest.

||And if you decide to answer, please add a true/false response
|| to this statement - "CPython in the late 1990's ran too slow".
|
| False by late 1990's standards, True by today's standards ;-).

So now this question for you: "CPython 2.5 runs too slow in 2007: true or
false?"

If you answer false, then there is no need for GIL removal.
If you answer true, then cutting its speed for 90+% of people is bad.

| Most people are not currently bothered by the GIL and would not want its
| speed halved.

And another question: why should such people spend time they do not have to
make Python worse for themselves?

Terry Jan Reedy