Will running Windows .exe from ASP.NET web page cause memory prob

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by JB, Sep 3, 2010.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    Hello Community

    IIS is how we deploy an ASP.NET web application.

    The reason I ask that question is because I was told that .exe
    files take up alot of memory when they run and the more times it is
    called by multiple users the more memory it uses which is why
    ClickOnce deployment is preferred over having users run an .exe file.

    If I put the Windows application (.exe) on the web page and allow users
    to access the Windows application by clicking a link on the web
    page that executes a dos batch file that executes the Windows
    application (.exe), if mulitple users access the Windows applicaton (.exe)
    will the Windows application .exe take up alot of memory causing alot of
    problems on the server that the ASP.NET it is called on is running on?

    Thanks
    Jeff
    --
    JB
    JB, Sep 3, 2010

  2. JB

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Re: Will running Windows .exe from ASP.NET web page cause memoryprob

    On 9/2/2010 10:00 PM, JB wrote:
    > Hello Community
    >
    > IIS is how we deploy an ASP.NET web application.
    >
    > The reason I ask that question is because I was told that .exe
    > files take up alot of memory when they run and the more times it is
    > called by multiple users the more memory it uses which is why
    > ClickOnce deployment is preferred over having users run an .exe file.

    I never heard about that one, and I don't think that is correct in a
    deployment scenario for the pros and cons with an exe application
    deployment as opposed to a click once application deployment.

    > > If I put the Windows application (.exe) on the web page and allow users

    > to access the Windows application by clicking a link on the web
    > page that executes a dos batch file that executes the Windows
    > application (.exe), if mulitple users access the Windows applicaton (.exe)
    > will the Windows application .exe take up alot of memory causing alot of
    > problems on the server that the ASP.NET it is called on is running on?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jeff

    Yeah, that exe is going to be taking up a lot of resources that would
    normally be used by Web applications on the Web server. It will also
    slow the Web site down if that exe is allow to run too much.

    You should consider using some kind of offline processing, directing
    the requests to run the exe to another server like an application server
    and using some kind of queuing mechanism to queue the requests to run
    the exe on another server/machine and not burden the Web server with the
    processing requests.
    Mr. Arnold, Sep 3, 2010

  3. JB

    JB Guest

    Re: Will running Windows .exe from ASP.NET web page cause memory

    Hello Brian

    You are both right. I will not run it on the server.

    Thanks
    Don
    --
    JB