    charset=windows-1251">
    Will this work for javascript alerts also?

    , Apr 3, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > How to make javascript alert with non-english text displaying correctly
    > on computers where english only is default system & language settings?
    > For web page the solution is just use meta tags:
    > charset=windows-1251">
    > Will this work for javascript alerts also?

    Maybe, maybe not. Windows-1251 ("Cyrillic") certainly includes characters
    that are not part of the English language.[1] (The system and user
    interface language do not matter.) But you SHOULD always send the correct
    Content-Type HTTP header to declare the correct resource encoding (which
    takes precedence over any meta[http-equiv]) to encode the used characters
    of the HTML Document Character Set (UCS), and include meta[http-equiv] for
    local use only.[2]

    If that encoding does not allow to encode the character as-is, you can
    either use character references (CRs) or character entity references (CERs)
    _in the markup_, such as `Й', or change the encoding of the resource
    content itself (and declare the new encoding instead). It is a common
    misconception that the encoding of a markup resource would restrict you
    to a certain character set. That is not the case; HTML 4.01 and XML
    documents will use UCS as Document Character Set always.[3][4]

    Note that CRs and CERs are not evaluated within JS strings, unless the piece
    of JS code is CDATA _attribute_ content (or PCDATA _element_ content, what
    you usually do not want).

    PointedEars
    ___________
    [1] <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251>

    [2] <URL:http://rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1945.txt>, 10.5
    <URL:http://rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1945.txt>, 14.17

    [3] <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#doc-char-set>
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/sgmldecl.html>

    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#charsets>
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11#charsets>
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-sgml-xml-971215.html#null3>

    [4] Interestingly, HTML 3.2 documents use only ISO 646 (IA5) instead:
    <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#sgmldecl>

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 3, 2006

    Any ideas?

    , Apr 3, 2006
  4. Lee Guest

    said:

    >Any ideas?

    Have you considered testing it yourself?

    Lee, Apr 3, 2006

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn пиÑал(а):

    > wrote:
    >
    > > How to make javascript alert with non-english text displaying correctly
    > > on computers where english only is default system & language settings?
    > > For web page the solution is just use meta tags:
    > > charset=windows-1251">
    > > Will this work for javascript alerts also?

    > Maybe, maybe not. Windows-1251 ("Cyrillic") certainly includes characters
    > that are not part of the English language.[1] (The system and user
    > interface language do not matter.) But you SHOULD always send the correct
    > Content-Type HTTP header to declare the correct resource encoding (which
    > takes precedence over any meta[http-equiv]) to encode the used characters
    > of the HTML Document Character Set (UCS), and include meta[http-equiv] for
    > local use only.[2]
    >
    > If that encoding does not allow to encode the character as-is, you can
    > either use character references (CRs) or character entity references (CERs)
    > _in the markup_, such as `Й', or change the encoding of the resource
    > content itself (and declare the new encoding instead). It is a common
    > misconception that the encoding of a markup resource would restrict you
    > to a certain character set. That is not the case; HTML 4.01 and XML
    > documents will use UCS as Document Character Set always.[3][4]
    >
    > Note that CRs and CERs are not evaluated within JS strings, unless the piece
    > of JS code is CDATA _attribute_ content (or PCDATA _element_ content, what
    > you usually do not want).
    >

    > PointedEars
    > ___________
    > [1] <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251>
    >
    > [2] <URL:http://rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1945.txt>, 10.5
    > <URL:http://rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1945.txt>, 14.17
    >
    > [3] <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#doc-char-set>
    > <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/sgmldecl.html>
    >
    > <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#charsets>
    > <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11#charsets>
    > <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-sgml-xml-971215.html#null3>
    >
    > [4] Interestingly, HTML 3.2 documents use only ISO 646 (IA5) instead:
    > <URL:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#sgmldecl>

    ----------

    I've tested it and it worked OK for me. I just want to be sure that the
    users will see correct text. I can rely on correct charset only.
    Thanks for info.

    , Apr 3, 2006
  6. wrote:

    > I've tested it and it worked OK for me.

    That does not matter.

    > I just want to be sure that the users will see correct text.

    They will see the correct text if the declared encoding and the actual
    encoding of the resource match. The encoding declared in the HTTP header,
    not in the `meta' element.

    > I can rely on correct charset only. Thanks for info.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You are welcome, but ISTM you have not understood yet.

    Please trim your quotes next time.
    <URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 3, 2006

    --------------------

    > They will see the correct text if the declared encoding and the actual
    > encoding of the resource match. The encoding declared in the HTTP header,
    > not in the `meta' element.

    not clear. How should look this 'right' encoding in html page? Its
    better to show example with 'right' HTTP header and 'meta' element.

    , Apr 4, 2006
  8. wrote:

    > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn пиÑал(а):
    >> [...]
    >> > I can rely on correct charset only. Thanks for info.

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> You are welcome, but ISTM you have not understood yet.
    >>
    >> Please trim your quotes next time.
    >> <URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
    >> [...]

    >> They will see the correct text if the declared encoding and the actual
    >> encoding of the resource match. The encoding declared in the HTTP
    >> header, not in the `meta' element.

    > not clear. How should look this 'right' encoding in html page?

    It is the encoding used when storing the text content as a file.

    > Its better to show example with 'right' HTTP header and 'meta' element.

    Try <URL:http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/cyrillic2>
    (It has been a while since I have learned Russian, so please bear with me.)

    This is the source code used:

    <?php
    if (isset($_GET['correct']))
    {
    header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8');
    }

    // Demonstrates what the wrong default encoding can do to a resource
    else
    {
    header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=Windows-1251');
    }
    ?>

    <head>
    <title>Scripting Test Case: Encoding vs. Document Character Set</title>

    <script type="text/javascript">
    function foo()
    {
    alert("Понимаешь?");
    }
    </script>

    body {
    background-color: white;
    color: black;
    }

    div, p {
    margin: 1em auto;
    }

    acronym {
    border-bottom:1px dotted #999;
    cursor: help;
    }
    </head>

    <?php
    if (!isset($_GET['correct']))
    {
    ?>
    title="8-bit Unicode Transformation Format">UTF-8</acronym></a>
    encoded resource is served with the wrong encoding declaration in
    the <tt>Content-Type</tt> <a
    href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperText_Transfer_Protocol"

    href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251"
    >Windows-1251</a></tt>). That the included <a

    href="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#edef-META"

    not matter; the HTTP&nbsp;header takes precedence.</p>

    href="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#h-5.1"
    >Document Character Set for <acronym

    title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</acronym>&nbsp;4.01
    documents</a> is still <a
    href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Character_Set"

    so character references can be used in <a
    attribute values to represent non-<a
    href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII"><acronym
    title="American Standard Code for Information Interchange"

    <?php
    }
    ?>

    value="Выбери
    меня!"
    lang="ru"
    onclick="foo();"></div>

    <?php
    if (!isset($_GET['correct']))
    {
    ?>
    >Serve (almost) the same content with the correct encoding

    declaration
    <?php
    }
    ?>

    HTH

    PointedEars

    P.S.
    I asked you to trim your quotes already (reduce it to the minimum necessary
    to retain context, as you can observe in [my] other postings).

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 4, 2006

> [...]

    > <?php
    > }
    > ?>

    > value="Выбери
    > меня!"
    > lang="ru"
    > onclick="foo();"></div>
    >
    > <?php
    > if (!isset($_GET['correct']))
    > {
    > ?>
    > >Serve (almost) the same content with the correct encoding

    > declaration
    > <?php
    > }
    > ?>
    >

    > HTH
    >
    > PointedEars
    >
    > P.S.
    > I asked you to trim your quotes already (reduce it to the minimum necessary
    > to retain context, as you can observe in [my] other postings).

    ----------------------

    this one show wrong text:

    http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/cyrillic2 show wrong text,
    this -correct:
    http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/cyrillic2?correct=1

    but both pages have same doctype & meta tags, I dont understand what is
    difference:

    <head>
    <title>Scripting Test Case: Encoding vs. Document Character
    Set</title>

    AND

    <head>
    <title>Scripting Test Case: Encoding vs. Document Character
    Set</title>

    Button value in both pages shown unreadable:

    value="Выбери
    меня!"
    lang="ru"
    onclick="foo();"></div>

    , Apr 4, 2006
  10. wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> > Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn пиÑал(а):

    >> P.S.
    >> I asked you to trim your quotes already (reduce it to the minimum
    >> necessary to retain context, as you can observe in [my] other postings).

    > ----------------------
    >
    > this one show wrong text:
    >
    > http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/cyrillic2 show wrong text,
    >
    > this -correct:
    > http://pointedears.de/scripts/test/cyrillic2?correct=1

    Works as designed :)

    > but both pages have same doctype & meta tags,

    As I said (and wrote), the `meta' element does not matter really.

    > I dont understand what is difference:

    I thought the text to be self-explanatory, with that many links in it ...
    FWIW:

    Compare the displayed response headers and document content with

    <URL:http://web-sniffer.net/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpointedears.de%2Fscripts%2Ftest%2Fcyrillic2&submit=Submit&http=1.1&rawhtml=no&gzip=yes&type=GET&ua=Mozilla%2F5.0+%28X11%3B+U%3B+Linux+i686%3B+en-US%3B+rv%3A1.8.0.1%29+Gecko%2F20060313+Debian%2F1.5.dfsg%2B1.5.0.1-4+Firefox%2F1.5.0.1+Web-Sniffer%2F1.0.24>
    (without ?correct=1, causing PHP to generate the wrong header value)

    and

    <URL:http://web-sniffer.net/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpointedears.de%2Fscripts%2Ftest%2Fcyrillic2%3Fcorrect%3D1&submit=Submit&http=1.1&rawhtml=no&gzip=yes&type=GET&ua=Mozilla%2F5.0+%28X11%3B+U%3B+Linux+i686%3B+en-US%3B+rv%3A1.8.0.1%29+Gecko%2F20060313+Debian%2F1.5.dfsg%2B1.5.0.1-4+Firefox%2F1.5.0.1+Web-Sniffer%2F1.0.24>
    (with ?correct=1, causing PHP to generate the correct header value)

    > [...]
    > Button value in both pages shown unreadable:

    The button value (its caption) should show the _same_ (cyrillic) letters
    with both declarations, or either your browser is broken or you do not have
    the correct Unicode font installed (or configured). However, the alert()
    message box displayed when the button is clicked should be _different_ (and
    you wrote that it was), or your browser is broken.

    Next time you do not trim your quotes as recommended, I will stop reading
    your postings. I have given you enough hints now.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 4, 2006

    > I thought the text to be self-explanatory, with that many links in it ...
    > FWIW:

    > Compare the displayed response headers and document content with

    > http://web-sniffer.net/?url=http://...+1.5.0.1-4 Firefox/1.5.0.1 Web-Sniffer/1.0.24
    > (without ?correct=1, causing PHP to generate the wrong header value)

    > and

    > http://web-sniffer.net/?url=http://...+1.5.0.1-4 Firefox/1.5.0.1 Web-Sniffer/1.0.24
    > (with ?correct=1, causing PHP to generate the correct header value)

    > > Button value in both pages shown unreadable:

    > The button value (its caption) should show the _same_ (cyrillic) letters
    > with both declarations, or either your browser is broken or you do not have
    > the correct Unicode font installed (or configured). However, the alert()
    > message box displayed when the button is clicked should be _different_ (and
    > you wrote that it was), or your browser is broken.

    > Next time you do not trim your quotes as recommended, I will stop reading
    > your postings. I have given you enough hints now.

    > PointedEars

    -----------------
    this Google Groups has extremelly inconvenient plain user interface so
    I really problematic trim someting there
    Your examples imply the use of php, while I meant using just plain html
    pages. And button value is broken for me in both cases. Dont know what
    about browser, i still use MSIE, though its bad, however
    As to correct Unicode font installed -i have default configuratuon,
    usually no problem to read anything.

    , Apr 4, 2006
  12. wrote:

    >> > Button value in both pages shown unreadable:

    >> The button value (its caption) should show the _same_ (cyrillic) letters
    >> with both declarations, or either your browser is broken or you do not
    >> have the correct Unicode font installed (or configured). However, the
    >> alert() message box displayed when the button is clicked should be
    >> _different_ (and you wrote that it was), or your browser is broken.

    >> Next time you do not trim your quotes as recommended, I will stop reading
    >> your postings. I have given you enough hints now.

    > [...]
    > this Google Groups has extremelly inconvenient [...] user interface

    True. Use Google Groups only for research, not for posting.

    > so I really problematic trim someting there

    No, it is not :)

    <URL:http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
    <URL:http://netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html>
    <URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/pots1.html>

    (Especially, signatures should not be quoted, unless there is an explicit
    reference in the followup.)

    > Your examples imply the use of php, while I meant using just plain html
    > pages.

    PHP was only used to simulate the server sending a default encoding that
    does not match the actual encoding of the resource. What happens is
    that the `meta' element is ignored then, which is correct behavior.[1]
    Therefore, the UTF-8 encoded Cyrillic characters look garbled then.

    [1] Another example:
    <URL:http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=23421>
    (The reporter's name is "Martin Dürst", stored UTF-8 encoded;
    the document contains meta[content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"],
    but is incorrectly served as charset=ISO-8859-1 in the
    Content-Type HTTP header.)

    > And button value is broken for me in both cases. Dont know what
    > about browser, i still use MSIE, though its bad, however

    Define: broken. (URL for screenshot?)

    > As to correct Unicode font installed -i have default configuratuon,
    > usually no problem to read anything.

    Straynge. [psf 4.15]

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 4, 2006
  13. Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

    > wrote:
    > [...]
    > [1] Another example:
    > <URL:http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=23421>
    > (The reporter's name is "Martin Dürst", stored UTF-8 encoded;
    > the document contains meta[content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"],

    Hm, it does not contain a `meta' element. Maybe that makes the
    difference for your IE. That would be against the HTTP standard,
    so nothing that should be relied upon, though.

    > but is incorrectly served as charset=ISO-8859-1 in the
    > Content-Type HTTP header.)
    >
    >> And button value is broken for me in both cases. Dont know what
    >> about browser, i still use MSIE, though its bad, however

    > [...]

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Apr 4, 2006
  14. Randy Webb Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said the following on 4/4/2006 2:42 PM:

    <snip>

    > (Especially, signatures should not be quoted, unless there is an explicit
    > reference in the followup.)

    <snip>

    > Straynge. [psf 4.15]
    >

    > PointedEars

    Where is the "signature" that should not be quoted? If you want to
    continue to rant about people quoting a "signature" that is *NOT* a
    signature, then start using a proper signature. Otherwise, shut up with
    your pedantic ramblings about such things.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Apr 4, 2006