Win2.3K server - ASP.NET. Urgent please

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jay, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Quick scenario followed by details below.
    ASP.NET application and MSDE installed on our Win2k dev server. All is good!
    Replicated this on our Win2.3k production server... problem!!

    Error is 'server does not exist or access is denied'

    Details.
    I installed MSDE via oSQL: setup sapwd=xxx securitymode=sql
    Then I installed SQL server client tools only.
    Restored the DB to the new instance from a .bak file.

    Created the login, gave it access to the required db and made it dbo.
    Set up IIS for the dot net app and did all the necessaries IIS and NTFS
    wise... treble checked!

    The dotnet app has a connection string that passes the db username and pwd.
    (checked by running query analyser and connecting). The app error log gives
    the above error.

    What can be wrong? The IIS/SQL/app is all the same server. have tried
    (local) and 127.0.0.1 for datasource.
    SQL is running. IIS is fine. NTFS is correct. SQL account has full
    permissions on sql. ASPNET and IUSR_machinename given full control for
    testing.
    Ran SQL profiler and there isn't even a log on attempt by the user/app.
    Any one shed any light? Any more details needed then feel free to yell out.
    Supposed to be launching this tomorrow and am stumped for any more debugging
    options.

    Jay
    Jay, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Hi, Jay,

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > Quick scenario followed by details below.
    > ASP.NET application and MSDE installed on our Win2k dev server. All is

    good!
    > Replicated this on our Win2.3k production server... problem!!
    >
    > Error is 'server does not exist or access is denied'

    <snip>

    > What can be wrong? The IIS/SQL/app is all the same server. have tried
    > (local) and 127.0.0.1 for datasource.

    What is the exact name of the instance? You should use the exact name in the
    connection string. Usually the MSDE installs with some funny name - the one
    that comes with the .NET Framework SDK ends up with something like
    ComputerName$NetSDK. You should be able to see this name in the SQL Server
    Agent or in the Enterprise Manager.

    Hope this helps
    Martin
    Martin Dechev, Apr 27, 2004

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "Martin Dechev" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, Jay,
    >
    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > > Quick scenario followed by details below.
    > > ASP.NET application and MSDE installed on our Win2k dev server. All is

    > good!
    > > Replicated this on our Win2.3k production server... problem!!
    > >
    > > Error is 'server does not exist or access is denied'
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > > What can be wrong? The IIS/SQL/app is all the same server. have tried
    > > (local) and 127.0.0.1 for datasource.

    > What is the exact name of the instance? You should use the exact name in

    the
    > connection string. Usually the MSDE installs with some funny name - the

    one
    > that comes with the .NET Framework SDK ends up with something like
    > ComputerName$NetSDK. You should be able to see this name in the SQL Server
    > Agent or in the Enterprise Manager.

    Hi Martin.
    I'm at home at the moment so this is from memory only.
    I'm 99% sure it's (Enterprise manager)

    local
    |__ DB name.

    Come to think of it I don't remember ever specifying a group name (I'm new
    to MSDE installs)

    Jay

    Jay, Apr 27, 2004
  4. Most likely it's a security issue.
    1. Make sure that SQL is running in a mixed mode.
    2. Add to connection string "Trusted_Connection=false;"
    3. Check that you are not using instance of the MSDE. You can install up to
    16 instances and connect to them using (local)\instancename
    You can easily check by looking on how SQL is registered in Enterprise
    Manager.

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Apr 27, 2004
  5. Jay

    Jay Guest

    What caught me when I had a similar error was that our win2k3 server didn't
    have asp.net for IIS installed. That is, we had to check it in add/remove
    programs to allow asp.net applications to run under iis (This is on top of
    the creation of the virtual directory, etc of course).

    Jay, Apr 27, 2004