Win32::AdminMisc Perl 5.10 x64: ActiveState PPD required

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Dilbert, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. Dilbert

    Dilbert Guest

    I am trying to install Win32::AdminMisc using a PPD repository for
    ActiveState Perl v 5.10 with 64 bits.

    I googled "Win32::AdminMisc 5.10 64 bits ppd" and I came across
    http://www.ramtek.us/downloads.html which had a PPD repository for
    Perl 5.10 at http://www.ramtek.us/cgi-bin/ppmsend.cgi?File=Win32-AdminMisc

    So I typed:

    C:\>ppm install http://www.ramtek.us/cgi-bin/ppmsend.cgi?File=Win32-AdminMisc

    but this failed...

    ppm install failed: The PPD does not provide code to install for this
    platform

    This is my Perl platform...

    C:\>perl -v
    Copyright 1987-2009, Larry Wall
    Binary build 1006 [291086] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
    Built Aug 24 2009 13:45:20

    .... and this is the content of http://www.ramtek.us/cgi-bin/ppmsend.cgi?File=Win32-AdminMisc

    <SOFTPKG NAME="Win32-AdminMisc" VERSION="0,2003,07,14">
    <TITLE>Win32::AdminMisc</TITLE>
    <ABSTRACT>The Win32::AdminMisc extension for Win32 X86</ABSTRACT>
    <AUTHOR>Roth Consulting (http://www.roth.net/)</AUTHOR>

    <IMPLEMENTATION>
    <OS NAME="MSWin32" />
    <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-object" />
    <CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/Win32/
    AdminMisc_5005_AS.tar.gz" />
    </IMPLEMENTATION>

    <IMPLEMENTATION>
    <OS NAME="MSWin32" />
    <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86" />
    <CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/Win32/
    AdminMisc_5005.tar.gz" />
    </IMPLEMENTATION>

    <IMPLEMENTATION>
    <OS NAME="MSWin32" />
    <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread" />
    <CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/Win32/
    AdminMisc_5006.tar.gz" />
    </IMPLEMENTATION>

    <IMPLEMENTATION>
    <OS NAME="MSWin32" />
    <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8" />
    <CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/
    Win32/AdminMisc_5008.tar.gz" />
    </IMPLEMENTATION>

    <IMPLEMENTATION>
    <OS NAME="MSWin32" />
    <ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.10" />
    <CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/
    Win32/AdminMisc_5010.tar.gz" />
    </IMPLEMENTATION>
    </SOFTPKG>

    I could find a perl 5.10 repository in the above PPD <ARCHITECTURE
    NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.10" />, but that would be 32 bits.

    Does anybody know of a PPD repository that offers Win32::AdminMisc for
    Perl 5.10 under 64 bits ?

    Dilbert, Mar 8, 2010

  2. Dilbert

    sisyphus Guest

    On Mar 9, 6:51 am, Ben Morrow <> wrote:

    > Sorry, no. What compiler do AS use for 64-bit?

    They use "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2" - which
    has a version number of 14.00.40310.41 and is therefore presumably
    some sort of variant of MSVC++ 8.0 (Visual Studio 2005). It is freely
    available. Afaik, it uses the msvcrt.dll runtime instead of the
    msvcr80.dll that the MSVC++ 8.0 compilers use.

    > Cutdown versions of MSVC7 and 8 are (or
    > were) freely available from Microsoft, so you might be able to compile
    > the extension yourself.

    Win32::AdminMisc source is supposedly available from
    ftp://www.roth.net/pub/ntperl/adminmisc/20030714/source/AdminMisc_Source.Zip
    but my browser has been trying unsuccessfully to get hold of it for a
    good 10 minutes. (I was going to take a look inside and refresh my
    memory on precisely what it contains - but I've now given up.)

    If you do manage to get hold of that source you'll find that it
    doesn't build in the usual way - ie it's not a normal cpan-type source
    distro. From memory, it's set up more as a "Visual Studio Project", so
    I'm not sure how well the free MS compilers will handle it.

    Is the op aware that you can run 32-bit ActivePerl builds on Win64 ?
    That would allow you to install the x86 build of Win32::AdminMisc -
    which might be the simplest way to go.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    sisyphus, Mar 9, 2010