Win32::AdminMisc Perl 5.10 x64: ActiveState PPD required

Dilbert

I am trying to install Win32::AdminMisc using a PPD repository for
ActiveState Perl v 5.10 with 64 bits.

I googled "Win32::AdminMisc 5.10 64 bits ppd" and I came across
http://www.ramtek.us/downloads.html which had a PPD repository for
Perl 5.10 at http://www.ramtek.us/cgi-bin/ppmsend.cgi?File=Win32-AdminMisc

So I typed:

C:\>ppm install http://www.ramtek.us/cgi-bin/ppmsend.cgi?File=Win32-AdminMisc

but this failed...

ppm install failed: The PPD does not provide code to install for this
platform

This is my Perl platform...

C:\>perl -v
Copyright 1987-2009, Larry Wall
Binary build 1006 [291086] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Aug 24 2009 13:45:20

.... and this is the content of http://www.ramtek.us/cgi-bin/ppmsend.cgi?File=Win32-AdminMisc

<SOFTPKG NAME="Win32-AdminMisc" VERSION="0,2003,07,14">
<TITLE>Win32::AdminMisc</TITLE>
<ABSTRACT>The Win32::AdminMisc extension for Win32 X86</ABSTRACT>
<AUTHOR>Roth Consulting (http://www.roth.net/)</AUTHOR>

<IMPLEMENTATION>
<OS NAME="MSWin32" />
<ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-object" />
<CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/Win32/
AdminMisc_5005_AS.tar.gz" />
</IMPLEMENTATION>

<IMPLEMENTATION>
<OS NAME="MSWin32" />
<ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86" />
<CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/Win32/
AdminMisc_5005.tar.gz" />
</IMPLEMENTATION>

<IMPLEMENTATION>
<OS NAME="MSWin32" />
<ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread" />
<CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/Win32/
AdminMisc_5006.tar.gz" />
</IMPLEMENTATION>

<IMPLEMENTATION>
<OS NAME="MSWin32" />
<ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8" />
<CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/
Win32/AdminMisc_5008.tar.gz" />
</IMPLEMENTATION>

<IMPLEMENTATION>
<OS NAME="MSWin32" />
<ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.10" />
<CODEBASE HREF="http://ramtek.us/perl/packages/x86/
Win32/AdminMisc_5010.tar.gz" />
</IMPLEMENTATION>
</SOFTPKG>

I could find a perl 5.10 repository in the above PPD <ARCHITECTURE
NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.10" />, but that would be 32 bits.

Does anybody know of a PPD repository that offers Win32::AdminMisc for
Perl 5.10 under 64 bits ?

sisyphus

Sorry, no. What compiler do AS use for 64-bit?

They use "Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2" - which
has a version number of 14.00.40310.41 and is therefore presumably
some sort of variant of MSVC++ 8.0 (Visual Studio 2005). It is freely
available. Afaik, it uses the msvcrt.dll runtime instead of the
msvcr80.dll that the MSVC++ 8.0 compilers use.
Cutdown versions of MSVC7 and 8 are (or
were) freely available from Microsoft, so you might be able to compile
the extension yourself.

Win32::AdminMisc source is supposedly available from
ftp://www.roth.net/pub/ntperl/adminmisc/20030714/source/AdminMisc_Source.Zip
but my browser has been trying unsuccessfully to get hold of it for a
good 10 minutes. (I was going to take a look inside and refresh my
memory on precisely what it contains - but I've now given up.)

If you do manage to get hold of that source you'll find that it
doesn't build in the usual way - ie it's not a normal cpan-type source
distro. From memory, it's set up more as a "Visual Studio Project", so
I'm not sure how well the free MS compilers will handle it.

Is the op aware that you can run 32-bit ActivePerl builds on Win64 ?
That would allow you to install the x86 build of Win32::AdminMisc -
which might be the simplest way to go.

Cheers,
Rob