    is at least an open standard.
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Aug 30, 2003

  2. "Robin Becker" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > It seems the Gods are proposing to distribute the documentation and help
    > for Python-2.3.1 in .chm form. I particularly detest .chm and much
    > prefer .html as it works across all platforms. Additionally by having a
    > single index.html for all of the various bits of Python help I can link
    > in things like Pmw, PIL and Quick Guide etc with a simple text editor.
    >
    > The argument is made that .chm is a better mechanism (more searchable
    > indexable etc) for help/documentation than html. Is that really so? HTML
    > is at least an open standard.

    chm is more compact and nicely packaged. It in fact is basically nothing but
    html and you can unpack it if you want. There are lots of tools - look for
    arCHMage e.g. which is a Unix chm viewer and decompiler...

    Kindly
    Michael P
    Michael Peuser, Aug 30, 2003

  3. Robin Becker

    James Kew Guest

    "Robin Becker" <> wrote in message
    > The argument is made that .chm is a better mechanism (more searchable
    > indexable etc) for help/documentation than html. Is that really so?

    I've certainly found it so in the ActiveState distribution, which packages
    the Python docs, plus selected third-party docs -- win32all, Dive Into
    Python -- into a unified HTML Help package. Very, very handy to be able to
    quickly look things up in a common index, or search across the whole lot.

    (Still waiting for a 2.3 ActiveState distro, though...)

    James
    James Kew, Aug 30, 2003
  4. Robin Becker

    Robin Becker Guest

    In article <biq4e9$bad2i$-berlin.de>, James Kew
    <> writes
    >"Robin Becker" <> wrote in message
    >> The argument is made that .chm is a better mechanism (more searchable
    >> indexable etc) for help/documentation than html. Is that really so?

    >I've certainly found it so in the ActiveState distribution, which packages
    >the Python docs, plus selected third-party docs -- win32all, Dive Into
    >Python -- into a unified HTML Help package. Very, very handy to be able to
    >quickly look things up in a common index, or search across the whole lot.
    >
    >(Still waiting for a 2.3 ActiveState distro, though...)
    >
    >James

    the previous poster mentioned decompilers, can one then add other links
    and then recompile with such beasts?

    I like being able to down load someone's pdf slides on meta classes
    into python/doc/xtras and then add a link to them to the main help
    index. I am also fairly religious about not using IE.
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Aug 30, 2003
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernard_Delm=E9e?=, Aug 30, 2003
  6. > I've certainly found it so in the ActiveState distribution, which packages
    > the Python docs, plus selected third-party docs -- win32all, Dive Into
    > Python -- into a unified HTML Help package. Very, very handy to be able to
    > quickly look things up in a common index, or search across the whole lot.
    >
    > (Still waiting for a 2.3 ActiveState distro, though...)

    The pythlp.py script, available at:

    http://www.orgmf.com.ar/condor/pytstuff.html

    still seems to work fine for python 2.3
    It'll create an HTM Help project for you, incorporating all std docs,
    which you then need to compile to CHM using the HTML Help Workshop:

    Cheers,

    Bernard.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernard_Delm=E9e?=, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Robin Becker <> wrote in message news:<CDURXJA3QHU$>...
    > It seems the Gods are proposing to distribute the documentation and help
    > for Python-2.3.1 in .chm form. I particularly detest .chm and much
    > prefer .html as it works across all platforms. Additionally by having a
    > single index.html for all of the various bits of Python help I can link
    > in things like Pmw, PIL and Quick Guide etc with a simple text editor.
    >
    > The argument is made that .chm is a better mechanism (more searchable
    > indexable etc) for help/documentation than html. Is that really so? HTML
    > is at least an open standard.

    I don't think there is any intention to discontinue generation of
    HTML, PDF, and other formats of the documentation. You can currently
    get it here:

    http://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/2.3/

    and presumably http://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/2.3.1/ once it's
    released.

    They are just changing the Windows default install to provide standard
    Windows help files.

    Windows is currently the only platform where documentation is
    installed by default. A standard 'make && make install' on ohter
    doesn't do anything with the documentation. Everyone else has to
    download it anyways, or use the magical incantations necessary to
    generate it from the LaTeX source.
    logistix at cathoderaymission.net, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Robin Becker

    Robin Becker Guest

    In article <>, Tim Peters
    <> writes
    >You cannot have used a properly constructed .chm file and seriously question
    >whether it's more searchable. Of course it is, including seemingly
    >instantaneous Boolean, proximity, wildcard, and similarity searches, across
    >the entire doc set with one query. I don't know of any way to search thru
    >more than a thousand .html files that's even arguably comparable; e.g., grep
    >is a slow & painful joke in comparison.

    amazingly I still disagree, somehow I still prefer the html files.
    Perhaps I just hate IE.
    --
    Robin Becker
    Robin Becker, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Robin Becker wrote:

    > In article Tim Peters writes
    > > You cannot have used a properly constructed .chm file and seriously
    > > question whether it's more searchable. Of course it is, including
    > > seemingly instantaneous Boolean, proximity, wildcard, and similarity
    > > searches, across the entire doc set with one query.

    > amazingly I still disagree, somehow I still prefer the html files.
    > Perhaps I just hate IE.

    The CHM search-abilty is definitely a plus, but I am also have my
    resivations. In fact I think the WinHelp file format was a much
    better help system. The WinHelp view was much faster loading, less
    likely to crash and also just as easily searched. The original
    HtmlHelp viewer was a real step backwards in comparison.

    Grnated, the newer versions of the HTML viewer are more stable, but
    they are still very demanding in terms of system memory. Try using
    the Microsoft MSDN and watch your system grind to a halt :(

    Even today the Zeus Quick Help keywords searching is still a lot
    faster if the source of the keyword is a WinHelp file compared to
    a HtmlHelp file.

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author of: Zeus for Windows (All new version 3.90 out now)
    "The C/C++, Cobol, Java, HTML, Python, PHP, Perl programmer's editor"
    Home Page: http://www.zeusedit.com
    Jussi Jumppanen, Sep 1, 2003