win32: "LoadBarState failed" and flaming death

Discussion in 'Python' started by gcash, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. gcash

    gcash Guest

    I'm doing stuff using COM to automate IE, for some boring repetitive
    portal tasks I have to do.

    Anyway, every so often I'll make some sort of error and things will
    crash, and I'll have to do something like using task manager to kill
    Python and/or the IE instance.

    Then I'll reload pythonwin and get "LoadBarState failed due to win32
    exception" and once I get this pythonwin will no longer work. It'll
    get all sorts of errors, the drop down menus won't work, there will be
    all sorts of exceptions happening, and desktop icons and the start
    button won't work until I kill pythonwin. This is even before loading
    anything as it can't even load a file.

    The only fix is to delete python, then use regedit to remove any
    python related registry keys.

    This is in Win2K pro SP4, using either python 2.2.3 and win32all 154
    or 156, or python 2.3 and win32all 155 or 157.

    Any ideas??

    -gc

    --
    Windows users [are like] people stuck in abusive relationships. They
    get beat up over and over again, but they won't leave.

    gcash, Aug 28, 2003

  2. gcash

    Neil Hodgson Guest

    gcash:
    > Then I'll reload pythonwin and get "LoadBarState failed due to win32
    > exception" and once I get this pythonwin will no longer work. It'll
    > get all sorts of errors, the drop down menus won't work, there will be
    > all sorts of exceptions happening, and desktop icons and the start
    > button won't work until I kill pythonwin. This is even before loading
    > anything as it can't even load a file.

    This sounds like a non-responding window.
    Try killing all explorer instances or rebooting.

    Neil

    Neil Hodgson, Aug 28, 2003