win32: multi-versions after module update

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mark S Pryor, Dec 10, 2003.

  1. Mark S Pryor

    Mark S Pryor Guest

    hello c.l.p.m,

    Using Win2k sp3
    Perl 5.6.1 build 626 from
    http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/

    I went and got the latest 6xx edition of
    DB_File from the above repository. The install (via ppd)
    works great.

    Was it wrong to write
    >PPM install DB_File.ppd

    when I want to update?

    My question is why does PPM keep the old version of
    this package? Now I have the original DB_File v1.72 in
    /perl/lib and latest (v1.801) is in /perl/site/lib.

    The problem is
    use DB_File;

    will access the old version.

    This is a rare Perl annoyance. I checked the docs and
    came up with this workaround:

    use lib "c:/perl/site/lib";

    Am I using PPM wrong?

    tia,
    msp

    Mark S Pryor, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Mark S Pryor

    Randy Kobes Guest

    "Mark S Pryor" <> wrote in message
    > hello c.l.p.m,
    >
    > Using Win2k sp3
    > Perl 5.6.1 build 626 from
    > http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/
    >
    > I went and got the latest 6xx edition of
    > DB_File from the above repository. The install (via ppd)
    > works great.
    >
    > Was it wrong to write
    > >PPM install DB_File.ppd

    > when I want to update?
    >
    > My question is why does PPM keep the old version of
    > this package? Now I have the original DB_File v1.72 in
    > /perl/lib and latest (v1.801) is in /perl/site/lib.
    >
    > The problem is
    > use DB_File;
    >
    > will access the old version. Am I using PPM wrong?

    I think this is a general property of the ppm utility - it
    will install a package under site/lib, even if it's a "core"
    package that originally was under lib/. One thing you
    could do is delete the old DB_File.pm under lib/ (or,
    if you'd rather, rename it, in case you find you need it
    in the future).

    best regards,
    randy kobes

    Randy Kobes, Dec 11, 2003