win32 openssl help request

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Debaun, Steve, Feb 9, 2006.

  1. Hi all --

    I just joined the list because I saw a post (from way back in 2002) about
    using ruby and OpenSSL on win32. I was wondering if anyone has had any
    recent successes, and if so, what shenanigans they involved.

    I'm having a heck of a time figuring out what my problem here is; I've tried
    three different ways to script access to a web page and they're all failing
    when tried over https -- which makes me suspect it's a problem with my
    openssl; specifically, with what versions I have installed.

    Samples follow:

    Win32, Ruby 1.8.4p3, OpenSSL 0.9.7b for windows.
    Trying to manipulate a web page. They all fail over SSL. Calls using
    similar tools to non-SSL pages do not fail.

    Three different approaches:

    1.
    -----
    require 'mechanize'

    $urls = [ "https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/mycompany/loginForm",
    "https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/mycompany/login",
    ]

    agent = WWW::Mechanize.new
    agent.user_agent_alias = 'Windows IE 6'

    p = agent.get($urls[0])
    -----
    C:\dev>ruby mechtest.rb
    warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mechanize-0.3.1/lib/mechanize/net-overrides/n
    et/http.rb:468:in `connect': OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError

    2.
    -----
    require 'open-uri'

    $urls = [ "https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/mycompany/loginForm",
    "https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/mycompany/login",
    ]

    open($urls[0]) { |r|
    puts "New Cookie: #{r.set_cookie}"
    }
    -----
    C:\dev>ruby openuritest.rb
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/open-uri.rb:237:in `open_http': undefined method
    `set_default_paths' for #<OpenSSL::X509::Store:0x2c146f0> (NoMethodError)

    3.
    -----
    require 'net/http'
    require 'net/https'

    $urls = [ "https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/mycompany/loginForm",
    "https://www112.livemeeting.com/cc/mycompany/login",
    ]

    $uris = $urls.inject(Array.new) { |a,x| a << URI.parse(x) }

    $uri_form = $uris[0]
    http = Net::HTTP.new($uri_form.host, $uri_form.port)
    http.use_ssl = true

    r,d = http.get($uri_form.path,{})
    -----
    C:\dev>ruby nethttptest.rb
    c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/net/http.rb:565:in `connect': undefined method
    `verify_mode' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
    This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information,
    and is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive such
    information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
    sender immediately. Please delete it and all attachments from any servers,
    hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly
    prohibited.
    All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring,
    reading and archival by Seminis. The recipient of this e-mail is solely
    responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
    Seminis accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code
    transmitted by or accompanying this e-mail or any attachment.

    Debaun, Steve, Feb 9, 2006

  2. Debaun, Steve

    Bill Kelly Guest

    Hi,

    From: "Debaun, Steve" <>

    > I just joined the list because I saw a post (from way back in 2002) about
    > using ruby and OpenSSL on win32. I was wondering if anyone has had any
    > recent successes, and if so, what shenanigans they involved.

    Sorry I can't offer specific help, but I wanted to confirm that
    I've been able to use OpenSSL/Ruby on Win32, both with SSLSocket,
    and 'net/https'.

    My net/https code looks similar to yours:

    http = Net::HTTP.new(@sitename, 443)
    http.use_ssl = true
    resp, data = http.get(path, nil)

    This is on:

    WinXP Service Pack 2
    ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

    I'm not sure which OpenSSL version... the ssleay32.dll and
    libeay32.dll files don't seem to have any version information. :(

    Regards,

    Bill

    Bill Kelly, Feb 9, 2006