win32 perl compiling problem

Thomas Steinbach

Hello NG,

I got an error if I try to compile perl with mingw (Vista)
btw: no problems with VS2008SP1 but mingw doesn't work.

---messagebox---
generate_uudmap.exe has stopped working
---messageend---

but don't know how to fix the error.

at the command line I got the messages
---snip---
...\generate_uudmap.exe >..\uudmap.h
dmake.exe: Error code 133, while making '..\uudmap.h'
dmake.exe: '..\uudmap.h' removed.
---snap---

Does anybody know what this error mean and
what I can do to get this compiling?

Thomas

Thomas Steinbach

Hello Bob,

I don't have any ideas, but ... have you considered using the
distribution of Perl available at http://www.activestate.com with
Windows? That way, you don't need to compile your own.

I know this distribution. But this is not a free
distribution and I can't distribute this comercial
product. I need a "free" distribution which I can
distribute by myself and which is running from a
CD. Strawberry perl would be fine, but I don't
know how to configure it, because strawbery Perl
is not very good documented. In case of this I
started to build perl on my own. But still need
more information how to get perl running.

If somebody knows a tutorial/wiki and how to get
perl running on windows, please let me know.

Thomas

Jürgen Exner

Thomas Steinbach said:
I know this distribution. But this is not a free
distribution

No, you are wrong. ActiveState Perl is free (free as in free of charge).
and I can't distribute this comercial
product.

ActiveState is offering an OEM license for that purpose.
I need a "free" distribution which I can
distribute by myself and which is running from a
CD.

Why can't you simply point your customers to ActiveState.com or even
make the download and automated part of your installation?

jue

sisyphus

btw: no problems with VS2008SP1 but mingw doesn't work.

Which version of perl are you trying to build ? ... and from where did
you obtain the source ?
Also which version of gcc are you using ?

I've recently built both perl-5.10.0 and perl-5.8.9 using (the MinGW
port of) gcc-3.4.5, from official perl source code on Vista - and I
haven't struck any trouble.

Looking at http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/01/msg133676.html
and
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/01/msg133684.html
it seems I've come across the same issue at some stage, but I can't
really recall the problem. You'll see that, in the second of those 2
posts, I've suggested that the issue can be fixed if
binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1 (or later, I presume) is installed.

Cheers,
Rob

Cheers,
Rob

Thomas Steinbach

Hello Juergen,
No, you are wrong. ActiveState Perl is free (free as in free of charge).

this means it is not freeware. Visual C++ Express is also
free of charge, but it's not freeware.
ActiveState is offering an OEM license for that purpose.

Alows this OEM licence to put active State perl
in a runnable style on a CD and distribute it?
And is this OEM license and the AS perl still
free of charge? Would be fine but I don't think so.
Why can't you simply point your customers to ActiveState.com or even
make the download and automated part of your installation?

if I point my users to ActiveState the perl script
won't run. The perl script(s) should run from a CD
I can't put activestate perl in a runnable verson
on my CD and distribute this CD.
That is not very helpful.

Thomas

Thomas Steinbach

Hello Sisyphus,

Which version of perl are you trying to build ? ... and from where did
you obtain the source ?
Also which version of gcc are you using ?

First I tried to build version 5.10.0 (think it's 5.10.1004)
and the source is from http://www.perl.org/ which points to
perl-5.10.0.tar.gz at http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/R/RG/RGARCIA/
Then I tried perl-5.10.0.tar.gz available at http://www.cpan.org/src/
but I think that are the same files/version.

Should I use/try an another version?
I've recently built both perl-5.10.0 and perl-5.8.9 using (the MinGW
port of) gcc-3.4.5, from official perl source code on Vista - and I
haven't struck any trouble.

Which version of winapi and mingw-runtime did you use?
What else?
Looking at
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/01/msg133676.html
and
http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2008/01/msg133684.html
it seems I've come across the same issue at some stage, but I can't
really recall the problem. You'll see that, in the second of those 2
posts, I've suggested that the issue can be fixed if
binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1 (or later, I presume) is installed.

I tried it with gcc 3.4.5 and this binutils-2.17.50-20060824-1
version of binutils. but it still doesn't compile :-(

I also tried binutils-2.17.50-20070129-1.tar.gz and
the newest version binutils-2.19.1-mingw32-bin.tar.gz
btw: w32api-3.12 and w32api-3.13, and with mingwrt-3.15.1
and mingwrt-3.15.2 but it doesn't compile.

Even gcc version 3.4.2 (binutils-2.16.91-20060119-1.tar,
winapi 3.10) doesn't compile.

The error with "generate_uudmap.exe" still comes up.
(always on a clean source tree with modified
win32/makefile.mk an this modifications:

line 56 USE_SITECUST *= define

line 215 CCHOME *= D:\download\perl\mingw3_bu_2.17.50

where my mingw is currently located.
The path ist set like:

set PATH2CC=D:\download\perl\mingw3_bu_2.17.50
set CCVER=3.4.5
set PATH=%PATH2CC%\bin;%PATH2CC%\libexec\gcc\mingw32\%CCVER%;%PATH%

dmake from http://search.cpan.org/dist/dmake/ is in the path

What else can I do and how can I "debug" this error?

Thomas

Thomas Steinbach

Hello Sisyphus,
Which version of perl are you trying to build ? ... and from where did
you obtain the source ?
Also which version of gcc are you using ?

I tried know the "latest"
version which is perl 5.8.9 but now I got an error
(segfault) with "perlglob.exe" with the current
mingw gcc 3.4.5 and bu 2.17.50_20060824 and with
the newest binutils-2.19.1 too. :-(

at the command prompt I get:
---snip---
C:\opt\bin\dmake.exe -S
...\..\..\miniperl.exe "-I..\..\..\lib" ..\bin\enc2xs -"Q" -"O" -o
byte_t.c -f byte_t.fnm
Use of uninitialized value in -f at ..\bin\enc2xs line 155.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ..\bin\enc2xs
line 156.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ..\bin\enc2xs
line 156.
Cannot open :No such file or directory at ..\bin\enc2xs line 156.
dmake: Error code 130, while making 'byte_t.c'
dmake.exe: Error code 255, while making 'subdirs'
Unsuccessful make(Encode): code=65280 at buildext.pl line 152.
dmake.exe: Error code 130, while making 'Extensions'

sisyphus

What else can I do and how can I "debug" this error?

There were initially some problems with Vista and MinGW, and many of
those problems were fixed when I installed Vista Service Pack 1. So,
if you haven't already, I would try installing SP1. (Note that Windows
Update doesn't automatically install SP1 for you - you have to install
it yourself.) I don't know if that's going to help. By the time SP1
arrived, MinGW had been pretty well patched up to work with Vista -
but if you've got one of the earlier versions of 3.4.5, installing SP1
may be the solution.

Or try updating to the latest MinGW components - gcc-3.4.5-20060117-3,
GNU binutils-2.19.1, w32api-3.13, and mingwrt-3.15.2 from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435 . (Just
unpack them over the top of your existing installation.)

Of course, now that I've got SP1, I can no longer check up on any of
those original MinGW/Vista issues.

Other than that, I would raise the issue on p5p - where you'll get
some assistance from people who are both passionate and knowledgeable
as regards building perl with MingW. It *should* be trivial to build
perl with MinGW on Windows (including Vista).

Cheers,
Rob

Thomas Steinbach

Hello Rob,
What else can I do and how can I "debug" this error?
[...]

I got it and it works fine. :)
Or try updating to the latest MinGW components - gcc-3.4.5-20060117-3,
GNU binutils-2.19.1, w32api-3.13, and mingwrt-3.15.2 from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435 . (Just
unpack them over the top of your existing installation.)

The binutils version 2.17.50-20060824-1 are (today 2009-02-10)
definitely the _last_ version of binutils which are able to
successfull compile perl 5.8.x and 5.10.x (still have problems with
5.6.x, but that is not so important.) I tested all other versions
higher than this version of binutils and always got the
"generate_uudmap.exe" segfault. Still don't know why...
The other parts of mingw gcc can be the newest versions.
(winapi, mingw rt, etc.)

The other errors I encounterd was the result because
I forgot something to do with the external libs.
Now I know the secrets and it works fine. Thank you
for your help.
Other than that, I would raise the issue on p5p - where you'll get
some assistance from people who are both passionate and knowledgeable
as regards building perl with MingW. It *should* be trivial to build
perl with MinGW on Windows (including Vista).

yes, now it is trivial :)
But what is p5p? (I'm still new to perl)

Thomas

sisyphus

The binutils version 2.17.50-20060824-1 are (today 2009-02-10)
definitely the _last_ version of binutils which are able to
successfull compile perl 5.8.x and 5.10.x (still have problems with
5.6.x, but that is not so important.)

Thanks for confirming that it's the binutils version that makes the
difference. Looks like I had better be a little cautious when it comes
to updating binutils :)

I've built 5.6.0, 5.6.1 and 5.6.2 with MinGW in the past and
experienced no difficulty - but that was a while ago, and not on this
Vista box. I don't see any need to be using 5.6.x on Windows (or
anywhere else for that matter).

I could never get 5.8.0 to build, but from 5.8.3 onwards, I've had no
trouble (except briefly with that binutils isue) on both XP and Vista.

Cheers,
Rob