win32com and apache and permissions

Chris Curvey

I'm trying to have a Python script (which is being launched by Apache
as a CGI) control Internet Explorer. I have this working on my
development box, but when I moved the code to my integration test box,
I get "Access Denied" when trying to launch IE. This only seems to
happen when running Apache as a service. If I run apache as a console
app, everything works fine. In summary:

User Method Dev Box Integration Box
Administrator Console Works Works
Administrator Service Works "Access Denied"
Apache Console Works Works
Apache Service Not permitted Not permitted

So somewhere, somehow, I think I've granted some permission on the dev
box that I have not granted on the integration box. Can anyone think
of what it might be?

-Chris

Chris Curvey

found the answer five minutes after posting the question. Isn't that
always the way?

I had not granted the Apache user permission to launch IE. To do so:

* launch DCOMCNFG.exe
* choose "internet explorer" and click "properties"
* choose the "security" tab and and "custom launch permissions"
* "edit permissions", then "add"
* choose "Users", then click "show users"
* choose the "apache" user and click "add"
* "OK" your way out of there.