win32com and Python2.4: Interpreter crashing!

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim N. van der Leeuw, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    When trying to use win32com functionality with Python2.4, the
    interpreter often crashes!

    I don't know if it's a known problem already that will be fixed in an
    upcoming Python2.4.1 version.

    Basically, the problem is:
    makepy.py generates a (large, nearly 2mb) Python file for use with COM
    interfaces of an MS Excel. Generating the file seems to work fine.
    However, when trying to import this file, the interpreter crashes
    trying to compile it into a .pyc file.

    The same file gives no such problems with Python 2.3.5.

    I first just used makepy.py with Python2.4, but it crashed after
    generating a large Python file.

    Then I created the file using python2.3.5, and copied it to my
    python2.4 installation, and that crashes python2.4 when importing it.

    So as I said before: is this a known problem already fixed for the next
    release, or should I collect crash-information for this problem?

    cheers,

    --Tim

    Tim N. van der Leeuw, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Tim N. van der Leeuw

    Roger Upole Guest

    There's a bug in the tokenizer that's triggered by the long
    lines generated by makepy. See
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1085454&group_id=78018&atid=551954
    and
    www.python.org/sf/1089395