win32com problem: more than one instance

Thomas Rademacher

Hello,

I start my script convert.py simultaneously in any dos-shells several
times. But I get every time the same solidworks instance.
I see in the proccess (task) manager only one solidworks.exe
Therefore I get for all simultaneous conversions the same output file.

I tested the same code with excel (test_excel.py) and her I get many
instances of excel in proccess (task) manager.
How can I get many instances of solidworks?

Is it a problem of python?
Or is it a problem of the Solidworks-COM-Implemention and I get the
same problem with an C++ client implementation?

Thanks for your help, Thomas

convert.py
import pythoncom
pythoncom.CoInitializeEx(pythoncom.COINIT_MULTITHREADED)

sldworks = gencache.EnsureModule('{83A33D31-27C5-11CE-
BFD4-00400513BB57}', 0x0, 13, 0)
sw = sldworks.ISldWorks(DispatchEx('SldWorks.Application'))
swmodel, errors, warnings = sw.OpenDoc6(sourceName,
constants.swDocPART, constants.swOpenDocOptions_Silent, "")
activeDoc = sw.ActiveDoc
retval, errors, warnings = swmodel.SaveAs4(targetName,
constants.swSaveAsCurrentVersion ,
constants.swOpenDocOptions_Silent )

pythoncom.CoUninitialize()

test_excel.py

import pythoncom
pythoncom.CoInitializeEx(pythoncom.COINIT_MULTITHREADED)

myExcel = win32com.client.DispatchEx('Excel.Application')
myExcel.Visible = 1
Excel = myExcel.Workbooks.Open(excelfile, 0, False, 2)
Excel.Saved = 1
Excel.Close()
myExcel.Quit()
del myExcel
del Excel

pythoncom.CoUninitialize()

Tim Golden

Thomas said:
Hello,

I start my script convert.py simultaneously in any dos-shells several
times. But I get every time the same solidworks instance.
I see in the proccess (task) manager only one solidworks.exe
Therefore I get for all simultaneous conversions the same output file.

I *think* -- and I'm really hoping someone more knowledgeable
can chip in here -- that it's down to the particular COM
object implementation. ie Excel may choose to offer you
separate instances (or whatever they're called) while SolidWorks
may not.

TJG