    win32all and that isn't working either!

    Thanks in advance.
    -rebecca

    Rebecca Taylor, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Rebecca Taylor

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Rebecca Taylor wrote:

    > I have been working with win32com on python for 2 years now. I
    > recently tried to modify an older script I had made which creates and
    > excel workbook, fills it with data and then graphs the data.
    >
    > Nothing is working!
    > When I try to run it I get this error:
    >
    > "Property '%s.%s' can not be set." % (self._username_, attr)
    > AttributeError: Property 'Excel.Application.visible' can not be set."
    >
    > Does anyone know why this is happening? I can't figure out if windows
    > has changed or if win32all or the new python distribution is the
    > problem. Worse yet, I reinstalled my old versions of python and
    > win32all and that isn't working either!

    I'm not sure what the problem is, but cutting and pasting the *actual*
    traceback instead of retyping might help us find it, or at least would
    help us trust everything you're saying. Not having 100% confidence
    in a problem report (as in this case) tends to make one investigate
    less intensely, I've found...

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Rebecca Taylor

    David Rushby Guest

    "Rebecca Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > I have been working with win32com on python for 2 years now. I
    > recently tried to modify an older script I had made which creates and
    > excel workbook, fills it with data and then graphs the data.
    >
    > Nothing is working!
    > When I try to run it I get this error:
    >
    > "Property '%s.%s' can not be set." % (self._username_, attr)
    > AttributeError: Property 'Excel.Application.visible' can not be set."
    >
    > Does anyone know why this is happening? I can't figure out if windows
    > has changed or if win32all or the new python distribution is the
    > problem. Worse yet, I reinstalled my old versions of python and
    > win32all and that isn't working either!

    The property is named 'Visible', not 'visible'.

    When makepy is run, COM identifiers become case-sensitive. Perhaps your old
    installation of win32com hadn't been makepy-ified, but the new one has?

    See:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=e...=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.python.*&safe=off&sa=G

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=#link
    13

    David Rushby, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Rebecca Taylor

    Bob Gailer Guest

    At 04:07 PM 9/2/2003 -0400, David Rushby wrote:

    >"Rebecca Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > > I have been working with win32com on python for 2 years now. I
    > > recently tried to modify an older script I had made which creates and
    > > excel workbook, fills it with data and then graphs the data.
    > >
    > > Nothing is working!
    > > When I try to run it I get this error:
    > >
    > > "Property '%s.%s' can not be set." % (self._username_, attr)
    > > AttributeError: Property 'Excel.Application.visible' can not be set."
    > >
    > > Does anyone know why this is happening? I can't figure out if windows
    > > has changed or if win32all or the new python distribution is the
    > > problem. Worse yet, I reinstalled my old versions of python and
    > > win32all and that isn't working either!

    >The property is named 'Visible', not 'visible'.
    >
    >When makepy is run, COM identifiers become case-sensitive. Perhaps your old
    >installation of win32com hadn't been makepy-ified, but the new one has?

    I don't think this is the problem. If it were the OP would get an attribute
    error. "...object has no attribute 'visible'"

    Bob Gailer

    303 442 2625

    ---

    Bob Gailer, Sep 3, 2003