win32com pythonwin extensions part of stdlib?

Discussion in 'Python' started by harijay, Dec 7, 2010.

  1. harijay

    harijay Guest

    Hi I am using Python 2.6.5 on Windows.

    I wanted to start using the win32com extensions which I understand are
    "essentially part of the stdlib" ( quoted in
    http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/win32_how_do_i.html)
    Since I didnt have the extensions as standard I went to sourceforge
    to get the module.

    However when I tried to do a distutils install of the python
    extensions for windows downloaded from sourceforge , I found out I
    need some proprietary components from Microsoft visual studio
    7)."vcsvarsall.bat" needed.

    My question is : Can I use the win32com extensions on a licensed
    windows setup without having access to Visual Studio components.

    I did see some places where they suggested compiling with mingw32 ,
    but the compilation didnt work.

    Any help in getting the module running would be greatly appreciated

    harijay, Dec 7, 2010

  2. harijay

    Ian Guest

    On Dec 7, 11:02 am, harijay <> wrote:
    > Hi I am using Python 2.6.5 on Windows.
    >
    > I wanted to start using the win32com extensions which I understand are
    > "essentially part of the stdlib" ( quoted inhttp://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/win32_how_do_i.html)
    > Since I didnt have the extensions as standard  I went to sourceforge
    > to get the module.
    >
    > However when I tried to do a distutils install of the python
    > extensions for windows downloaded from sourceforge , I found out I
    > need some proprietary components from Microsoft visual studio
    > 7)."vcsvarsall.bat" needed.
    >
    > My question is : Can I use the win32com extensions on a licensed
    > windows setup without having access to Visual Studio components.
    >
    > I did see some places where they suggested compiling with mingw32 ,
    > but the compilation didnt work.
    >
    > Any help in getting the module running would be greatly appreciated

    There are pre-built binary distributions available on sourceforge.
    Why not just use one of those?

    Ian, Dec 7, 2010

  3. harijay

    harijay Guest

    Using the "binary" offered on sourceforge and calling
    "python setup.py install"

    Has the install asking for "vcsvarsall.bat" . So this does not seem to
    be a binary build

    harijay, Dec 7, 2010
  4. harijay

    Tim Golden Guest

    Tim Golden, Dec 7, 2010
  5. harijay

    harijay Guest

    Thanks Ian for your reply.
    I downloaded the zip file linked by the "Download Binaries/View All
    files link" . All that gave me was a zip file which unpacked to the
    source and documentation implying I had to use distutils.
    If instead I looked at the Build 214 link on sourceforge which
    corresponds to the latest build ( same time stamp as the link labeled
    "Download Binaries / View all Files")
    There was an exe file corresponding to my python version.
    Which came with an installer that installed the binaries

    Thanks for your help I looked in the right place.

    Hari

    harijay, Dec 7, 2010
  6. harijay

    harijay Guest

    Thanks Tim for your reply. I did get that build .
    Also thanks for the examples. Looking forward to using the module

    Hari

    harijay, Dec 7, 2010