win32com: use not possible as normal user

Sibylle Koczian

Hello,

I've installed Python 2.4 and the win32 extensions, using administrator
rights, under Windows XP in "C:\Programme". As this is a directory
without spaces I didn't expect any problems. But now I can't _use_
win32com as a normal user, because normal users can't write there:

PythonWin 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
on win32.
Portions Copyright 1994-2004 Mark Hammond ([email protected]) -
see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "h:\eigene dateien\abt\kalender\wdclass.py", line 10, in __init__
self.wdApp = win32com.client.Dispatch('Word.Application')
File
"C:\Programme\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py",
line 96, in Dispatch
return __WrapDispatch(dispatch, userName, resultCLSID, typeinfo,
UnicodeToString, clsctx)
File
"C:\Programme\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py",
line 38, in __WrapDispatch
klass = gencache.GetClassForCLSID(resultCLSID)
File
"C:\Programme\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py",
line 179, in GetClassForCLSID
mod = GetModuleForCLSID(clsid)
File
"C:\Programme\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py",
line 222, in GetModuleForCLSID
mod = GetModuleForTypelib(typelibCLSID, lcid, major, minor)
File
"C:\Programme\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py",
line 262, in GetModuleForTypelib
AddModuleToCache(typelibCLSID, lcid, major, minor)
File
"C:\Programme\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py",
line 575, in AddModuleToCache
_SaveDicts()
File
"C:\Programme\Python24\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\gencache.py",
line 64, in _SaveDicts
f = open(os.path.join(GetGeneratePath(), "dicts.dat"), "wb")
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
'C:\\Programme\\Python24\\lib\\site-packages\\win32com\\gen_py\\dicts.dat'
Do I have to move my Python installation to another directory with write
permissions for normal users? Or is there a simpler way? This might not
be a problem for users with english Windows installations who can get
bitten anyway by the space in "program files". But in my german
installation I never had a reason to install Python outside of "Programme".

Thanks for any help,
Koczian

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hello,

I've installed Python 2.4 and the win32 extensions, using administrator
rights, under Windows XP in "C:\Programme". As this is a directory

XP Pro or XP Home?

XP (both) protect the default program directory and a few
others. I have a number of applications that have required me to change
the permissions for directories so my user account can run them. On XP
Home, I believe this was a simple "share" flag. XP Pro has a much more
complex security system that has always taken me two or three tries to
get right (and I still seem to have one application that runs from the
admin account, but gives me a REGISTRY error from my user account).
Do I have to move my Python installation to another directory with write
permissions for normal users? Or is there a simpler way? This might not
be a problem for users with english Windows installations who can get
bitten anyway by the space in "program files". But in my german
installation I never had a reason to install Python outside of "Programme".
I think the default Python install is to use something like
Python2.x as the directory, and to place it in the drive root -- to
avoid problems with the spaces and protected nature of M$ directories.
If I sound vague there, it is because I have an "unused" Plone
installation, and to avoid conflicts between the "all-in-one" Plone and
ActiveState's PythonWin, I installed Plone on my data partition, and
installed ActiveState over Plone's Python (don't ask, I don't remember
how I did that either -- but it is one reason I'm a version or two
behind on both).

Tim Roberts

Sibylle Koczian said:
I've installed Python 2.4 and the win32 extensions, using administrator
rights, under Windows XP in "C:\Programme". As this is a directory
without spaces I didn't expect any problems. But now I can't _use_
win32com as a normal user, because normal users can't write there:

Right. To use win32com, the site-packages\win32com\gen_py directory must
be writable. You shouldn't have to change the whole c:\Programme tree; you
should be able to make just that one subdirectory writable by all.