    involve dropping a ball if that helps any. The most luck I've had has
    been from Googling stuff on air resistance Java source code. Any help
    would be appreciated, thanks.
    Caleb, Apr 10, 2007

  2. Caleb wrote:
    > Hello everybody. I'm doing my final project for my AP Java class and
    > I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to use air
    > resistance. I really don't have any idea what to do to use air
    > resistance in my program, but it's required. My program is going to
    > involve dropping a ball if that helps any. The most luck I've had has
    > been from Googling stuff on air resistance Java source code. Any help
    > would be appreciated, thanks.

    This has nothing to do with any language until you run into a problem
    during implementation. Don't do your searches based on keywords of java
    and air resistance because you would be limiting yourself too much,
    unless you plan on copying the java code. That is because at this stage
    the language you use is mainly irrelevant.
    Brandon McCombs, Apr 10, 2007

  3. Caleb

    Hal Rosser Guest

    "Caleb" <> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody. I'm doing my final project for my AP Java class and
    > I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to use air
    > resistance. I really don't have any idea what to do to use air
    > resistance in my program, but it's required. My program is going to
    > involve dropping a ball if that helps any. The most luck I've had has
    > been from Googling stuff on air resistance Java source code. Any help
    > would be appreciated, thanks.

    Try googling "drag coefficient" instead of wind resistance.
    a ball has a certain coefficient of drag and if its 'falling' you have
    gravity pulling down and resistance to falling (drag).
    at some point, the ball could possibly reach 'terminal velocity'.
    --assuming you drop the ball where air is present - as opposed to on the
    moon,
    sounds like a fun project
    Hal Rosser, Apr 10, 2007
  4. Caleb wrote:
    > Hello everybody. I'm doing my final project for my AP Java class and
    > I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to use air
    > resistance. I really don't have any idea what to do to use air
    > resistance in my program, but it's required. My program is going to
    > involve dropping a ball if that helps any. The most luck I've had has
    > been from Googling stuff on air resistance Java source code. Any help
    > would be appreciated, thanks.

    Having taken physics recently, I remember that Fair = -A*b*v^n where A
    is the cross-section area of the object (pi*R^2 for a spherical ball), b
    is a constant related to the air, and n is 1 for low velocity and 2 for
    high velocity.

    Hope this helps.
    Joshua Cranmer, Apr 10, 2007
  5. Caleb wrote:
    ..
    >I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to use air
    >resistance.

    This application simulates it.
    <http://www.1point1c.org/spacesim/sim/app.html>
    It is open source, see the spacecim.zip available here..
    <http://www.1point1c.org/spacesim/sim/>

    Note that it also simulates a lot of other things, and
    was never meant as a simple example of how to
    code air resistance, but then you say you are in your
    final year, so you should be able to figure it out.

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    Andrew Thompson, Apr 10, 2007
  6. Caleb

    Alan Krueger Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)
    Alan Krueger, Apr 10, 2007
  7. Caleb

    MS Guest

    Caleb emailed this:
    > Hello everybody. I'm doing my final project for my AP Java class and
    > I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to use air
    > resistance. I really don't have any idea what to do to use air
    > resistance in my program, but it's required. My program is going to
    > involve dropping a ball if that helps any. The most luck I've had has
    > been from Googling stuff on air resistance Java source code. Any help
    > would be appreciated, thanks.

    It sounds pretty straight forward to me.

    You have your rate of descent, 9.8 m/s/s. In your program have a variable
    which holds the value of the speed as it increases, and another variable
    which holds the value of the calculation as to how much air resistance
    reduces that speed. Subtract the air resistance from the speed and that's it.
    MS, Apr 10, 2007
  8. Caleb

    Christian Guest

    MS schrieb:
    > Caleb emailed this:
    >> Hello everybody. I'm doing my final project for my AP Java class and
    >> I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to use air
    >> resistance. I really don't have any idea what to do to use air
    >> resistance in my program, but it's required. My program is going to
    >> involve dropping a ball if that helps any. The most luck I've had has
    >> been from Googling stuff on air resistance Java source code. Any help
    >> would be appreciated, thanks.

    > It sounds pretty straight forward to me.
    >
    > You have your rate of descent, 9.8 m/s/s. In your program have a
    > variable which holds the value of the speed as it increases, and another
    > variable which holds the value of the calculation as to how much air
    > resistance reduces that speed. Subtract the air resistance from the
    > speed and that's it.

    or use Lagrange's equations ... if you are good with maths that may look
    nice in the end...
    the resistance of the Air is just a term draining from the total Energy
    of your System..
    that would have the benefit that some other things could later be more
    easily implemented .. and you would learn some more basics about
    Theoretical Physics

    Christian
    Christian, Apr 10, 2007