window.close and IE7 beta 2

Gérard Talbot

Dear script fellows and colleagues,

I've been asking for this at IE product feedback website
(
opener property should be a read-only property section at
http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerSecurity
)
and it seems we've got this now.

"window.opener and window.close --
Internet Explorer 7 no longer allows the window.opener trick to bypass
the window.close prompt.
Browser windows can't close themselves unless the windows were created
in script. This security enhancement no longer allows browsing to a
random site when the main browser window closes unexpectedly."
IE 7 beta 2 release notes
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx

You can check/verify here:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE6Bugs/ClosingWindowsNotOpenedByJS.html