window.close()

mcnewsxp

Most browsers won't allow you to close a window with JavaScript unless
it was opened by a script to begin with, and they're not supposed to
either.

yes, i learned that.
thanks.

mcnewsxp

Obviously more than you understand. Which event model are you using?
Which browsers have the problem? How was the window first opened. How is
is being closed? The code? With a button? Do you mean a <button> element
or a <input type="submit">? How are you trapping the event? How did you
attach the JavaScript, hard-coded or via addEventListener & attachEvent?
On which element and on which event?

So yes, my car analogy is most apt.

not if you looked at the simple markup i posted. kinda narrows it
down.

mcnewsxp

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mcnewsxp"
<[email protected]> writing in

I'm sorry.  This is going to sound rude, but I am on my second 7&7, so
here it goes.

Please try to write in an acceptable manner.  Use correct grammer, use
correct punctuation, check your spelling.

You will be surprised at how effective this is when trying to get a
useful response from others.  It's a matter of respect.

Be careful, also, to correctly spell a person's name, especially when
that person was "able to answer my question".  Again, it's a matter of
respect.  How would you feel if I referred to you as mdacousticgitar?

i'll try, but can't make any promises. you are correct - i am very
sloppy. always have been.

mcnewsxp

Obviously more than you understand. Which event model are you using?
Which browsers have the problem? How was the window first opened. How is
is being closed? The code? With a button? Do you mean a <button> element
or a <input type="submit">? How are you trapping the event? How did you
attach the JavaScript, hard-coded or via addEventListener & attachEvent?
On which element and on which event?

the point about using <input type="button"> instead of <input
type="submit"> is good tho.

mcnewsxp

Mayeul said:
And a lot of people here are (way) better equipped than you are at
deciding when it is.

--

you see, this is the claptrap i was hoping not to have cluttering up my
post. every newsgroup has it's self-important know-it-alls who believe they
own their portion of the interenets and can't resist emptying their
blow-hole when they believe their authority and infinite knowlegde and
superiority are in question. i believe those folks have identified
themselves and they now know who i am so perhaps our future business can be
conducted in a more rational manner (we can help or ignore one another). a
couple of other more helpful folks have given me the answers i was looking
for. that's the way it should always work - i think.
again, i am not trying to come off as an a-hole, but one always runs that
risk when speaking frankly on the interenets. it always comes off haughty
when really it's just strait talk.
if i ever answer a post on this forum (doubtful - but you never know...) you
will notice that my answers are very terse. i give what i like to get. if
it ain't what the OP is looking for he'll say so.
best,
mike

Mayeul

Mayeul said:
And a lot of people here are (way) better equipped than you are at
deciding when it is.

--

you see, this is the claptrap i was hoping not to have cluttering up my
post. every newsgroup has it's self-important know-it-alls who believe they
own their portion of the interenets and can't resist emptying their
blow-hole when they believe their authority and infinite knowlegde and
superiority are in question. [snip]

It's not that hard, you know. You're asking beginner questions, and some
people will assume from them that you do not have their experience in
pinpointing the shortest path to the solution.

It so happens you were lucky enough that you were indeed in a very raw
case (and maybe even aware of it) so that the 'obvious' answer was
actually the one you were looking for.
You have clearly no idea how that never actually happens.

Merely explaining here. Personally I do think it legit to start assuming
for the raw case, even though it is almost never the actual case. Just
seems 'logic' to me.

There is a problem with this, however. Due to the possible (and very
likely) case you're not in as basic a case you think you are, you are in
essence asking for the privilege to potentially and likely waste the
time of the people you seek help from, while you need not risking to
waste their time.
That's quite an attitude when you think of it.

'Course, you being actually in a basic case for once, you won't easily
see it.

mcnewsxp

Mayeul said:
Mayeul said:
On 23/11/2010 21:45, mcnewsxp wrote:
mcnewsxp wrote:

not if you looked at the simple markup i posted. kinda narrows it
down.

<whoosh> I give up.

sometimes it not about everything in the world.

[...]

brother, you're making much more out of this than should be required.
i asked 2 questions and got two excellent answers. also got some personality
tossed in, but hey - that's the internets. the two that answered my
questions understood what i was asking and fired off the answers i needed.
can't get better than that.
i was attempting to get the ones who always ask for the URL and have to have
their way or no way to just sort of not respond so they wouldn't get
themselves so upset. and now it's all this...
heh.
i have been making my living as a programmer since before the days of markup
languages. i use many languages in the course of a year. i am not an
expert at all of them, but know enough about what makes 'em go to keep a
roof over head, a couple of cars in the garage, kids in a good school, and
pay for my hobbies. i only mention these things to prevent assumptions.
again, peace.
mike

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mcnewsxp said:
i asked 2 questions and got two excellent answers. also got some personality
tossed in,

Somebody should have tossed in a Shift Key... and a dictionary! <lol!>

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Somebody should have tossed in a Shift Key... and a dictionary! <lol!>

But the phrase "some personality" is good and I mean to use it
some time. I have heard of "attitude" but not quite this
personality" one. I like it. Now, B, don't you be giving me any
personality on this post. <g>

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
But the phrase "some personality" is good and I mean to use it some
time. I have heard of "attitude" but not quite this personality" one.
I like it. Now, B, don't you be giving me any personality on this
post. <g>

Why not? Do you have an attitude about personality? ;-)