window.open always displays the address

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by AAaron123, Nov 23, 2008.

  1. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    I have the javascript function:

    function openWindow(name, path, w, h){

    OpenWindowX=window.open(
    path,name,'scrollbars=1,resizable=1,width='+w+',height='+h);

    }

    and call it like this.

    The top of the window contains a title that I can control.

    But under that is and address box that doesn't make much sense to the
    viewer. Why would he want to know where the image is stored.

    I can't get rid of that.

    Do you know how?

    Or can I place some other text in there other than the address?

    Thanks in advance

    AAaron123, Nov 23, 2008

  2. AAaron123

    Rain Guest

    window.open('url to open','window name','attribute1,attribute2')

    I think you need to set the location attribute to no

    So. window.open(yourUrl, Title, 'location=no')

    Rain, Nov 23, 2008

  3. AAaron123

    AAaron123 Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > "AAaron123" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I can't get rid of that.

    > That's correct, as Göran has explained.
    >
    > Why not use an AJAX popup extender instead? Looks like you're opening a
    > new window, but you're not, so you have total control over it...
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net

    Why not indeed?

    Well for starters I know so little about Ajax I don't know where to get
    started. I looked on the Internet and do find examples but I'm not
    orientated enough for them to help. That is, I need the big picture of how
    AJAX fits in.

    But quick questions I'd appreciate an answer to is:

    If I use AJAX does that come with a lot of baggage of some kind or other?

    For example, do all browsers support AJAX (I don't even know if the browser
    needs to support it.)

    How about ISP's. If they support ASP.NET is AJAX included?

    Does the viewer need to have the AJAX framework on his/her computer?

    Thanks for the reply

    AAaron123, Nov 25, 2008
  4. AAaron123

    George Guest

    See answers inline

    > Well for starters I know so little about Ajax I don't know where to get
    > started. I looked on the Internet and do find examples but I'm not
    > orientated enough for them to help. That is, I need the big picture of how
    > AJAX fits in.

    I would say it's about time to start learning... AJAX technology matured
    enough

    > But quick questions I'd appreciate an answer to is:
    >
    > If I use AJAX does that come with a lot of baggage of some kind or other?

    may be yes may be no. All you need to do is to include Javascript library
    which will be about 40-50K.

    > For example, do all browsers support AJAX (I don't even know if the
    > browser needs to support it.)

    Nope, not all of them but majority. If you look at your site using IE 2.0 it
    probably will not look good. But if you target IE 6, IE 7, FireFox then you
    ok.

    > How about ISP's. If they support ASP.NET is AJAX included?

    It's transparent for ISPs. They might not even know you using AJAX
    technology.

    > Does the viewer need to have the AJAX framework on his/her computer?

    Nope, It's all HTML/Javascript/HTTP based.

    Here is the page with Microsoft AJAX control toolkit
    http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/ModalPopup/ModalPopup.aspx
    So you can see how it looks like.

    PS: To show a popup you do not need AJAX per say. It's only called AJAX
    control toolkit. But simply a big JavaScript library.
    You actually might want to us another one. called JQuery. It seems to be
    easier to use and has smaller size.

    http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/

    George.

    George, Nov 25, 2008
  5. AAaron123

    > "AAaron123" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Why not use an AJAX popup extender instead? Looks like you're opening a
    >>> new window, but you're not, so you have total control over it...

    >> Why not indeed?
    >>
    >> Well for starters I know so little about Ajax I don't know where to get
    >> started. I looked on the Internet and do find examples but I'm not
    >> orientated enough for them to help. That is, I need the big picture of
    >> how AJAX fits in.

    > There's a certain learning curve involved, but nothing like as steep as
    > with other ASP.NET-related technologies e.g. MVC, Silverlight etc...
    >
    > However, once you're up to speed with AJAX, you'll wonder how you ever
    > managed without it and your users will love the fact that your web apps
    > don't keep doing postbacks all the time...
    >
    >> But quick questions I'd appreciate an answer to is:
    >>
    >> If I use AJAX does that come with a lot of baggage of some kind or other?

    > With ASP.NET 3.5, it's all built in...
    >
    >> For example, do all browsers support AJAX (I don't even know if the
    >> browser needs to support it.)

    > Essentially, any browser which supports JavaScript supports AJAX - that's,
    > in fact, what the second letter of the acronym represents...
    >
    >> How about ISP's. If they support ASP.NET is AJAX included?

    > Effectively, they don't have to actively support it - it's just there...
    >
    >> Does the viewer need to have the AJAX framework on his/her computer?

    > No, though they do need to have JavaScript enabled...
    >

    > --
    > Mark Rae
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > http://www.markrae.net