Window open and anti popup software

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Bob Bedford, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Bob Bedford

    Bob Bedford Guest

    From my page, I've to create a page wich shows some images.
    I'd like to show those images without the IE or Netscap toolbar.
    I've two ways:
    1- window.open, wich let me do everything (remove bar, resize)
    2- open a new window with _blank, but I can't remove the toolbar.

    The problem with the 1 is that maybe it can be blocked by an anti popup
    window, isn't it ???
    It's there a way in the point 2 to resize the page and remove the toolbar ?

    Thanks.

    Bob

    Bob Bedford, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Bob Bedford

    VK Guest

    Any normal pop-up killer kills any kind of windows, including
    "target-_blank" ones.

    Did you consider to use popping-up div's on the page itself? Just give them
    window-LAF (if you want).

    VK, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Bob Bedford wrote:

    > From my page, I've to create a page wich shows some images.
    > I'd like to show those images without the IE or Netscap toolbar.

    Why? Users are used to them.

    > The problem with the 1 is that maybe it can be blocked by an anti popup
    > window, isn't it ???

    Yes. Opening new windows is (almost always) bad design. Users dislike them.

    > It's there a way in the point 2 to resize the page and remove the toolbar?

    No (Well... you might be able to resize the _window_ ... but most browsers
    have explicit options in the preferences to prevent this - its more
    annoying then a popup).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Bob Bedford

    Randy Webb Guest

    VK wrote:
    > Any normal pop-up killer kills any kind of windows, including
    > "target-_blank" ones.

    Can you name a few that kill target="_blank"? I am aware of many that
    handle window.open but haven't been able to find one that handles _blank.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Oct 9, 2004
  5. Bob Bedford

    rf Guest

    Randy Webb wrote
    > VK wrote:
    > > Any normal pop-up killer kills any kind of windows, including
    > > "target-_blank" ones.

    > Can you name a few that kill target="_blank"? I am aware of many that
    > handle window.open but haven't been able to find one that handles _blank.

    popup-stopper from panicware. Stops everything, even a double click on the
    browsers desktop icon.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Bob Bedford

    Bob Bedford Guest

    > > From my page, I've to create a page wich shows some images.
    > > I'd like to show those images without the IE or Netscap toolbar.

    > Why? Users are used to them.

    Because it's a page that I'd like to open as popup, with images on it, but
    the user shouldn't continue to browse from there, but only close it. It's
    like an information page, no need to keep it after viewing.

    > > The problem with the 1 is that maybe it can be blocked by an anti popup
    > > window, isn't it ???

    > Yes. Opening new windows is (almost always) bad design. Users dislike

    them.

    Have a look here. www.shopauto.ch, then click "rechercher" and then any
    vehicle in the list. On the right you have the picture image, wich, when
    clicked, shows a popup with other image I can't put on the page. It's only a
    "more info" page.

    > > It's there a way in the point 2 to resize the page and remove the

    toolbar?

    > No (Well... you might be able to resize the _window_ ... but most browsers
    > have explicit options in the preferences to prevent this - its more
    > annoying then a popup).

    I've opted for the ".open" page, wich will be sized and setted like I want.

    Cheers and thanks for advice.

    Bob

    Bob Bedford, Oct 9, 2004