Window.open interfering with browser navigation?

Dan Cruz

I've got an asp page that kicks-off a JScript window.open on an onClick
event (the new window provides informational/help info to supplement the
base form).

Everything works fine, except...

It looks like that when the window.open call is made, and a new window is
created - my users lose all the information they entered - if they navigate
backwards then forwards. If the second window was already created...
navigating backwards and immediately forwards, seem to behave 'normally'
(i.e. all their previous inputs are there on the screen.).

Is this normal? Is there some way to kick-off a new window without losing
the inputs previously entered at an earlier screen? There was an earlier
post about losing session info when opening a window - is this a similar
situation?

I suppose I don't really have to have two windows opened at the same time -
using a simple anchor link seems to work without the side-effect. It's just
not as snazzy and the work-flow is slightly more stilted.

While I've been toying around with some other work-arounds - I was wondering
if anyone else has ever run into this situation? Or am I missing some
critical piece of info?

TIA for anyone capable of shedding some light on my dark little corner.

Mark Schupp

That is all client-side behavior. You'll probably need to ask in a group
specific to your browser.

Dan Cruz

Thanks - and sorry about the mistake.

I tried to cancel the message, but I guess you were to quick.