Window.open interfering with browser navigation?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dan Cruz, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Dan Cruz

    Dan Cruz Guest

    I've got an asp page that kicks-off a JScript window.open on an onClick
    event (the new window provides informational/help info to supplement the
    base form).

    Everything works fine, except...

    It looks like that when the window.open call is made, and a new window is
    created - my users lose all the information they entered - if they navigate
    backwards then forwards. If the second window was already created...
    navigating backwards and immediately forwards, seem to behave 'normally'
    (i.e. all their previous inputs are there on the screen.).

    Is this normal? Is there some way to kick-off a new window without losing
    the inputs previously entered at an earlier screen? There was an earlier
    post about losing session info when opening a window - is this a similar
    situation?

    I suppose I don't really have to have two windows opened at the same time -
    using a simple anchor link seems to work without the side-effect. It's just
    not as snazzy and the work-flow is slightly more stilted.

    While I've been toying around with some other work-arounds - I was wondering
    if anyone else has ever run into this situation? Or am I missing some
    critical piece of info?

    TIA for anyone capable of shedding some light on my dark little corner.
    Dan Cruz, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Dan Cruz

    Mark Schupp Guest

    That is all client-side behavior. You'll probably need to ask in a group
    specific to your browser.

    --
    --Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Dan Cruz

    Dan Cruz Guest

    Thanks - and sorry about the mistake.

    I tried to cancel the message, but I guess you were to quick.
    Dan Cruz, Jan 19, 2005