Window.Opener Creating A Refresh In Parent Window

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Steve Wark, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Steve Wark

    Steve Wark Guest

    I have created a ASP.NET application and created two forms within the
    application (Webform1.aspx & Webform2.aspx). On the first form I have
    placed a textbox (TextBox1) and a button, which when clicked opens the
    second form using the window.open(). On the second form I have a textbox
    (TextBox1) and a button as well. When the second button is clicked it
    closes the second window with window.close(). What I need to happen is a
    refresh to happen on the original form so that the value passed back from
    the second window is displayed in the textbox.

    Webform1 Button Click Event
    Private Sub LinkButton1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles LinkButton1.Click

    Dim popupScript As String = "<script language='javascript'>" &
    "window.open('webform2.aspx', 'CustomPopUp', " & "'width=600, height=400,
    menubar=no, resizable=no, top=200, left=200')" & "</script>"

    Page.RegisterStartupScript("PopupScript", popupScript)

    End Sub

    Webform2 Button Click Event

    Private Sub LinkButton1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles LinkButton1.Click

    Dim popupScript As String = "<script language='javascript'>" &
    "window.opener.document.forms(0).value=" & Chr(34) & TextBox1.Text & Chr(34)
    & ";window.close();window.opener.location.href =
    window.opener.location.href" & "</script>"

    Page.RegisterStartupScript("PopupScript", popupScript)

    End Sub

    I have tried various options but none seem to work. Can anyone advise?

    Cheers

    Steve

    Steve Wark, Aug 29, 2004

  2. On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:49:41 GMT, Steve Wark <>
    wrote:

    > I have created a ASP.NET application and created two forms within the
    > application (Webform1.aspx & Webform2.aspx). On the first form I have
    > placed a textbox (TextBox1) and a button, which when clicked opens the
    > second form using the window.open(). On the second form I have a textbox
    > (TextBox1) and a button as well. When the second button is clicked it
    > closes the second window with window.close(). What I need to happen is a
    > refresh to happen on the original form so that the value passed back from
    > the second window is displayed in the textbox.
    >
    > Webform1 Button Click Event
    > Private Sub LinkButton1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    > System.EventArgs) Handles LinkButton1.Click
    >
    > Dim popupScript As String = "<script language='javascript'>" &
    > "window.open('webform2.aspx', 'CustomPopUp', " & "'width=600, height=400,
    > menubar=no, resizable=no, top=200, left=200')" & "</script>"
    >
    > Page.RegisterStartupScript("PopupScript", popupScript)
    >
    > End Sub
    >

    > Webform2 Button Click Event
    >
    > Private Sub LinkButton1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    > System.EventArgs) Handles LinkButton1.Click
    >
    > Dim popupScript As String = "<script language='javascript'>" &
    > "window.opener.document.forms(0).value=" & Chr(34) & TextBox1.Text &
    > Chr(34)
    > & ";window.close();window.opener.location.href =
    > window.opener.location.href" & "</script>"
    >
    > Page.RegisterStartupScript("PopupScript", popupScript)
    >
    > End Sub
    >
    > I have tried various options but none seem to work. Can anyone advise?
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > Steve

    you're closing the second window before refreshing the opener; closing the
    window stops the script right there, so the next line never runs. Switch
    those around, .close() is the last thing to do....

    btw, why do you need a refresh immediately? You can put the value back
    into the opener's textbox and not need to force a refresh....just FYI

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Craig Deelsnyder, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Steve Wark

    Steve Wark Guest

    I tired you suggestion but it did not work, can you point me to a code
    snippet ?

    Steve

    Steve Wark, Aug 30, 2004
  4. Steve Wark

    bruce barker Guest

    you have a couple problems:

    1) webform1 uses code that will not work with a popup blocker (say xp-sp2)
    2) webform1 close itsself before doing anything
    3) webform1 tries to update a textbox, but then forces a reload that will
    replace this value with tthe server version

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Oct 28, 2004