Window popup in XML?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Randy Poe, Sep 20, 2008.

  1. Randy Poe

    Randy Poe Guest

    I apologize for the length of this, my first post here, but I have a
    long story to
    tell.

    I am writing a page with mathematical content, and I have decided for
    a variety of reasons to use MathML despite its incomplete support in
    browsers. I am simultaneously trying to learn Macromedia Dreamweaver,
    XML, CSS, and MathML so I don't know if this may be a newbie
    question,
    but I haven't been able to find a solution to it. So far via a
    combination of
    books and web searches I've managed to find solutions to most of the
    things I've wanted to do. But now I'm completely stumped.

    Here's the basic sequence of problems and solutions:

    1. Dreamweaver is set up to recognize XHTML, but I couldn't seem to
    embed
    MathML examples into the XHTML and have them display (Firefox 3.0.1 is
    my main test platform). Since the example pages at www.w3c.org/Math
    seemed to be XML, I switched to XML, i.e put the following line at the
    top of
    my file (there are other lines, which I'll get to in a minute).

    <?xml version="1.0"?>

    I believe I also had to include an <?xml-stylesheet> tag and download
    some XSL files, and also include this
    <!--
    pref:renderer="techexplorer-plugin"
    pref:renderer="techexplorer"
    pref:renderer="css"
    pref:renderer="mathplayer"
    pref:renderer="mathplayer-dl"
    -->

    (I think that last snippet came from W3C)

    That is, I've done those things, but don't recall if that was the
    minimal
    set of actions to make MathML display. At any rate, it now displays
    correctly
    in the browser.

    2. Dreamweaver is a developer program that has a split screen,
    showing
    raw XML code in one window and an attempt to render the appearance
    in another window. Changing from XHTML to XML broke the split screen.
    Design Sciences has a page on working with Dreamweaver and MathML
    at http://www.dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/tutorials/mathml/mathmldw8.htm

    Split screen still didn't work, i.e. Dreamweaver didn't recognize the
    html,
    until I added a DOCTYPE tag and also renamed it to have an *.xht
    extension.

    That was sufficient to make split screen work again, though the <math>
    tags
    are not recognized and math content does not appear correctly. Fine, I
    can
    live with that.

    3. I started to realize pretty quickly that I was going to want to use
    CSS. It took
    me a while to figure out that I get only one <?xml-stylesheet> per
    document,
    and that I use @import to combine them. But I did that. I wasn't sure
    I could
    define a CSS file and import XSL (MathML comes with an XSL), but
    nothing
    seemed to complain when I did that.

    So now my web page starts this way:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="leverrier.css"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/dtd/xhtml-math11-f.dtd">
    <!--
    pref:renderer="techexplorer-plugin"
    pref:renderer="techexplorer"
    pref:renderer="css"
    pref:renderer="mathplayer"
    pref:renderer="mathplayer-dl"
    -->
    <head>

    and my CSS file starts this way:
    @import url(pmathml.xsl);
    @import url(/Accessible_Design.css);

    body {
    color: #0000ff;
    background-color: #DDDDDD;
    }, etc.

    All seems good.

    4. Now I wanted some active content. My original HTML version of this
    page
    had popups that were implemented this way:

    onClick="popup('images/lev58_4a.png', 'original');return false;">
    Original
    </a>

    This doesn't work in XML. I did some reading, and found that
    (a) popping up new windows is frowned on now in polite society, and
    (b) the hover trick using CSS to popup content when the mouse is
    over some region of the page.

    OK, fine. I implemented the hover trick. It works beautifully in my
    XML page.

    But I'm beginning to think that I still want "click-to-show/click-to-
    dismiss"
    functionality. Ideally, I'd even want a checkbox that showed all
    hidden content
    with a single click. The main driver for this is that I'd like to be
    able to
    have the option of printing with the hidden content all showing.

    And that brings me to...

    5. Does Javascript run in XML pages? Or is there some other way to
    dynamically
    change the class of an object on an XML page so that a different CSS
    rule takes effect?

    6. I'm also confused about the role of XSL. As I understand it, XSL
    transforms
    a page at browser access time. I could theoretically write rules so
    that the
    browser receives HTML instead of XML. Then I could do all the
    Javascript
    I want. But then my MathML would break, wouldn't it? That seems to
    want
    to be part of an XML page.

    There's more, but that's enough for one post. Thanks for any insight
    anyone can provide.

    Randy

    Randy Poe, Sep 20, 2008

  2. Randy Poe wrote:

    > 5. Does Javascript run in XML pages?

    It depends on the browser. With Mozilla or Opera you can certainly use
    the XHTML script element in XML or XHTML documents to use script.

    > 6. I'm also confused about the role of XSL. As I understand it, XSL
    > transforms
    > a page at browser access time. I could theoretically write rules so
    > that the
    > browser receives HTML instead of XML. Then I could do all the
    > Javascript
    > I want. But then my MathML would break, wouldn't it? That seems to
    > want
    > to be part of an XML page.

    I don't use MathML but I believe in the case of MathML the XSLT
    stylesheet is used to cater for both Mozilla and IE. Mozilla should be
    able to deal with your XML/MathML document just fine but with IE the
    XSLT stylesheet is necessary to ensure IE renders any HTML and a plugin
    renders the MathML.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/