Windows 2000 IIS Session restricted?!

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David Lozzi, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. David Lozzi

    David Lozzi Guest

    Session("UID") = 10
    Session("Name") = "John Doe"

    I have an ASP application loaded on a Win2k SP3 server in Anonymous
    Authentication Mode. When I try to access the site, none of the session
    variables work. I have to lower the security to Low in Internet Explorer for
    the session variables to run. BUT if I run this same script on my local
    machine (WinXP Pro sp1) it works fine with whatever security level i have.

    Also, i have another ASP application loaded on the same server, but this one
    used Windows Authentication Mode. This one has no problems using sessions, I
    get no restrictions from that at all, the session variables run great!

    Neither app is setup as an Application within IIS, they are just sub
    folders. I tried creating an Application for the first issue, but no luck
    there.

    Thanks,

    --
    David Lozzi
    Associated Business & Technology Group

    I should've known that....but I had a brain fart.

    David Lozzi, Aug 21, 2003

  2. David Lozzi

    Copa Guest

    Have you enabled Session State in the settings for the website?

    Daniel

    Copa, Aug 21, 2003

  3. David Lozzi

    David Lozzi Guest

    Yes

    David Lozzi, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Well, I could certainly be wrong, as I'm not really an IIS expert, but the
    fact that it works at low application isolation mode makes me wonder if this
    could be a problem with the IWAM account. The password in the IIS metabase
    has to match the password in the Windows user account database, for example.
    I suppose you could use the ADSUTIL.VBS command to obtain the password for
    the IWAM account, and then try logging into Windows as that account name and
    password to see what happens. Or, just reset the password using ADSUTIL.
    The IWAM account also needs permissions to certain files on the hard drive
    as well. If that was the case, enabling file auditing might help you. I
    wonder if you might also see something useful by running the free utilities
    regmon, file mon and process explorer from www.sysinternals.com while the
    error is happening.

    http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#iwam
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#auditing

    Karl Levinson [x y] mvp, Aug 22, 2003
  5. David Lozzi

    David Lozzi Guest

    Weird, but it works fine now... I think its flakey... I unloaded the app and
    today I reloaded and it worked fine.

    Thanks for your posts

    David Lozzi, Aug 22, 2003