Windows 2000 is required :( Yuk!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Todd Gardner, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
    currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
    however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.

    I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
    written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
    suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
    libraries running on Windows 2000?

    Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
    on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
    compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
    properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.

    I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
    Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!

    Todd

    Todd Gardner, Jun 13, 2004

  2. Todd Gardner

    Tom Reilly Guest

    At 12:19 AM 6/14/2004 +0900, you wrote:
    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
    >currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
    >however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.
    >
    >I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
    >written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
    >suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
    >libraries running on Windows 2000?
    >
    >Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
    >on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
    >compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
    >properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.
    >
    >I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
    >Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!
    >
    >Todd

    I've used Ruby on windows from version 4 through 8 and I've not had any
    problem on windows 2000 proff.
    TOm

    Tom Reilly, Jun 13, 2004

  3. il 13 Jun 2004 08:13:48 -0700, (Todd Gardner) ha
    scritto::

    >Hello everyone,
    >
    >I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
    >currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
    >however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.
    >
    >I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
    >written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
    >suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
    >libraries running on Windows 2000?

    use msys/mingw, and there are some libs for win32 here:
    http://www.dm4lab.to/~usa/ruby/index_en.html
    btw, there is the one click installer (the PragProg one) hat comes
    with many useful libs. And If you want could download Arachno ruby ide
    that comes with many many compiled libraries for win32

    gabriele renzi, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Todd Gardner

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Todd Gardner wrote:

    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
    > currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
    > however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.
    >
    > I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
    > written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
    > suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
    > libraries running on Windows 2000?
    >
    > Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
    > on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
    > compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
    > properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.
    >
    > I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
    > Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!

    Try the Ruby Installer for Windows at:

    http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Jun 14, 2004
  5. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    Tom Reilly <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > At 12:19 AM 6/14/2004 +0900, you wrote:
    > >Hello everyone,
    > >
    > >I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
    > >currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
    > >however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.
    > >
    > >I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
    > >written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
    > >suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
    > >libraries running on Windows 2000?
    > >
    > >Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
    > >on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
    > >compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
    > >properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.
    > >
    > >I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
    > >Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!
    > >
    > >Todd

    > I've used Ruby on windows from version 4 through 8 and I've not had any
    > problem on windows 2000 proff.
    > TOm

    Excellent! How can I install PGPLOT Graphics Subroutine Library?

    Thanks,

    Todd

    Todd Gardner, Jun 14, 2004
  6. This is off topic but I was just wondering what voice recognition software
    and what microphone are you using?

    Trevor Andrade, Jun 14, 2004
  7. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    "Curt Hibbs" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Todd Gardner wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello everyone,
    > >
    > > I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
    > > currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
    > > however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.
    > >
    > > I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
    > > written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
    > > suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
    > > libraries running on Windows 2000?
    > >
    > > Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
    > > on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
    > > compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
    > > properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.
    > >
    > > I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
    > > Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!

    > Try the Ruby Installer for Windows at:
    >
    > http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/
    >
    > Curt

    Hello Curt,

    I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. I think you have
    gotten the idea that I am having difficulty writing Ruby: Ian Windows
    2000 because of compatibility issues. I have no problem at all
    writing Ruby code in Windows 2000 because of compatibility issues.
    The main issue I have is that I really don't know Ruby that well.
    Currently, I have a problem working with pre-written libraries for
    Ruby.

    It seems that most of the libraries are written for POSIX OSes. And
    don't have installers for someone using Windows.

    Thanks for the comment.

    Todd

    Todd Gardner, Jun 14, 2004
  8. Todd Gardner

    James Britt Guest

    > Currently, I have a problem working with pre-written libraries for
    > Ruby.

    There are many third-party libraries which are distributed as a
    combination of Ruby and C source code. You typically need to run
    extconf.rb to generate a make file, then run make to compile and install
    the code.

    > It seems that most of the libraries are written for POSIX OSes. And
    > don't have installers for someone using Windows.

    More often than not the code is intended for some flavor of Unix. It's
    also less of an issue on most 'nix boxes since they rend to have a C
    compiler sitting around.

    Some of these libs have precompiled binaries for Windows (and many are
    included with the Windows installer version of Ruby); otherwise, you'll
    need to get a C compiler and build the code directly. There is a free
    complier available from Microsoft as part of the .Net framework or SDK.

    Bear in mind that some libraries may rely on lower-level system calls,
    or some Unix-focused lib, and may not work on Windows.

    James

    James Britt, Jun 14, 2004