Windows 2000 Server and ASP.NET

Wayne Taylor

Hello All

I have built an ASP.NET web application using VS2003 and v1.1 of the
framework. On my development system, Windows XP SP1a, all works well.

When I transfer the application to Windows 2000 Server (v1.1 of the
framework) the application breaks.

I am using "Deploying a Web Solution" walkthrough from VS on-line help to
install the app onto the 2k server and that seems to work fine on both the
server and my development PC.

It seems Windows 2000 Server has problems executing managed code. I have
tried running aspnet_regiis -i to reinstall ASP.NET to IIS, and still don't
have any luck.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks In Advance

Wayne Taylor

Kevin Spencer

There is nothing wrong with Windows 2000 Server. Chances are, you're running
into a security issue. You would need to post as much detail about the error
you're having in order to identify the problem.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Wayne Taylor

Thanks for the reply Kevin,

I have tried just a push button and that works OK. I am using the following
open source RSSFeed user control
(http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/102903-1.aspx), This seems to be
the problem as when I remove it all works fine, however every thing works on
my dev machice, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne Taylor

Stack Trace:

[WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could
not be resolved.]
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus() +673
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +140
System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +147
System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetNonFileStream(Uri uri, ICredentials
credentials) +65
System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials
credentials) +94
System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type
ofObjectToReturn) +55
System.Xml.XmlTextReader.CreateScanner() +384
System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Init() +23
System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() +530
System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.ReadWithCollectTextToken() +146
System.Xml.XmlValidatingReader.Read() +26
System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean
preserveWhitespace) +80
System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader) +72
System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename) +78
skmRss.RssFeed.GetDataSource() +456
skmRss.RssFeed.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +141
skmRss.RssFeed.DataBind() +64
WebApp2.WebForm1.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Kevin Spencer

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the Stack Trace. The code which it refers to would be helpful as
well.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Kevin Spencer said:
There is nothing wrong with Windows 2000 Server. Chances are, you're running
into a security issue. You would need to post as much detail about the error
you're having in order to identify the problem.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer
.Net Developer
Microsoft MVP
Big things are made up
of lots of little things.

Wayne Taylor

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply, sorry about the missing the code. Once the skmRSS.DLL
is added into VS (2003), and you have dragged the control onto the form is
placed into page load.
If Not Page.IsPostBack Then

RssFeed1.DataSource =
"http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/infofeed/tenalerts.xml"

RssFeed1.DataBind()

RssFeed2.DataSource =
"http://news.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/technology/rss091.xml"

RssFeed2.DataBind()

End If

I HTH you help me. :)

Thanks.

Kevin Spencer said:
[...]

Boy, Wayne, that's a tough one. Assuming that the Control didn't come with
source code, well, the error is coming from the Control itself, and we don't
have that code. Perhaps you should contact the author.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Wayne Taylor said:
[...]

Dilip Krishnan

Wayne,
Apparently your code was unable to connect to the http address its
pointing to. Are you behind a firewall?

Wayne said:
[...]

Hi Dilip

Yes. I am behind a firewall but so is my development PC and it works on the
development PC. The servers are behind also, it could be that but I not
sure. I will have to look into further.

Thanks, Wayne T