Windows 2003 Server / CDO Emails - ASP FAQ

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Rob Meade, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Lo all

    Ok, had problems sending emails for the first time on the new server setup
    this evening, found the ASP FAQ article :

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

    Which offered an answer to my problem - however - I then got another error -
    ASP FAQ once again resolved this :

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2305

    In this scenario changing the 2 to a 1 solved the problem and the email was
    sent...

    So, at the moment I am able to send emails using my own server - I then
    wanted to check that the CDO way of sending emails was going to work on a
    hosting companies server that I also use - I FTP'd the testemail.asp file
    up - ran it - bingo - got an email - now I'm wondering WHY! I had left the
    server ip as it was for my own network - I find it hard to believe that just
    by pure luck their email server is using the same IP as mine, and as it was
    a local IP (192.168 etc) - it wasn't going to resolve any other
    way...so...do I actually need this :

    cdoConfig.Fields.Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"

    Or can it be left out - or - did it get ignored because of the 2 being set
    to a 1...

    I have no idea what these values actually mean so any help would be
    appreciated - my knowledge of all things SMTP is slim to none - and we just
    waved goodbye to slim.... :eek:)

    Thanks in advance for any help - oh and thanks for www.aspfaq.com for those
    great articles... :eek:)

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Nov 19, 2003

  2. One of the settings means pickup, so the server is ignored (since it just
    dumps it locally, where the *local* SMTP server picks it up; it doesn't get
    sent to an SMTP server).

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Nov 19, 2003

  3. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

    > One of the settings means pickup, so the server is ignored (since it just
    > dumps it locally, where the *local* SMTP server picks it up; it doesn't

    get
    > sent to an SMTP server).

    Hi Aaron,

    Thanks for the reply and info.

    Out of curiousity - I've always used CDONTS - just assumed that was the
    right way to go etc - my application wont allow me to use this now on my
    development box, but will on the live box (hosted elsewhere) - therefore
    would it be prudent to change all of my code to use CDO instead of CDONTS?
    Any issues with this - ie, will CDO *aways* work - or do I need to perhaps
    keep the other version in there too and check somehow to determine which to
    use?

    Any info appreciated - sorry for the lateness of my reply...

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Nov 22, 2003
  4. CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if you
    are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
    2000.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Nov 22, 2003
  5. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    "Aaron Bertrand [MVP]" wrote ...

    > CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if

    you
    > are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
    > 2000.

    Hi Aaron,

    Many thanks for your reply.

    I've just had a quick look at the server variables and it doesn't appear
    that there's a way to retrieve the OS etc being used...any idea how to
    configure my small script to use CDONTS if its NT or CDO if its 2000
    upwards?

    Regards

    Rob

    Rob Meade, Nov 22, 2003