Windows 2003 Server / CDO Emails - ASP FAQ

Rob Meade

Lo all

Ok, had problems sending emails for the first time on the new server setup
this evening, found the ASP FAQ article :

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

Which offered an answer to my problem - however - I then got another error -
ASP FAQ once again resolved this :

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2305

In this scenario changing the 2 to a 1 solved the problem and the email was
sent...

So, at the moment I am able to send emails using my own server - I then
wanted to check that the CDO way of sending emails was going to work on a
hosting companies server that I also use - I FTP'd the testemail.asp file
up - ran it - bingo - got an email - now I'm wondering WHY! I had left the
server ip as it was for my own network - I find it hard to believe that just
by pure luck their email server is using the same IP as mine, and as it was
a local IP (192.168 etc) - it wasn't going to resolve any other
way...so...do I actually need this :

cdoConfig.Fields.Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"

Or can it be left out - or - did it get ignored because of the 2 being set
to a 1...

I have no idea what these values actually mean so any help would be
appreciated - my knowledge of all things SMTP is slim to none - and we just
waved goodbye to slim.... :eek:)

Thanks in advance for any help - oh and thanks for www.aspfaq.com for those
great articles... :eek:)

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

One of the settings means pickup, so the server is ignored (since it just
dumps it locally, where the *local* SMTP server picks it up; it doesn't get
sent to an SMTP server).

Rob Meade

One of the settings means pickup, so the server is ignored (since it just
dumps it locally, where the *local* SMTP server picks it up; it doesn't get
sent to an SMTP server).

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply and info.

Out of curiousity - I've always used CDONTS - just assumed that was the
right way to go etc - my application wont allow me to use this now on my
development box, but will on the live box (hosted elsewhere) - therefore
would it be prudent to change all of my code to use CDO instead of CDONTS?
Any issues with this - ie, will CDO *aways* work - or do I need to perhaps
keep the other version in there too and check somehow to determine which to
use?

Any info appreciated - sorry for the lateness of my reply...

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if you
are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
2000.

--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP

Rob Meade

CDO is by far the better option. The only reason it wouldn't work is if you
are running NT 4.0 server anywhere - CDO was first included with Windows
2000.

Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've just had a quick look at the server variables and it doesn't appear
that there's a way to retrieve the OS etc being used...any idea how to
configure my small script to use CDONTS if its NT or CDO if its 2000
upwards?

Regards

Rob