Windows 2003 SP1 breaks ASP.NET app?

Bala

Hi,

After installing Win2K3 SP1, ASP.NET pages are not being rendered at
all. I get a Access Denied error (BC31019: Unable to write to output
file) OR a Page Cannot Be Displayed (PCBD) error with no errors
reported in the Event log.

Is there a known issue with SP1 that will break ASP.NET application/
does not render ASP.NET at all? My server admin demands the server to
have SP1 but I do not know of any security tweaks that need to be
performed to have .NET working.

Thanks tons for your help.

Bala

PL

None that I know of but search the microsoft kb or google.

Some ideas:

1. Sounds like a permission issue, are you writing files from your asp.net app ?
In that case check the permissions on that folder.

2. Check in IIS "Web Service Entensions" that ASP.NET is allowed
and check the extension mappings.

3. Last resort try to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1 and use aspnet_regiis
to make sure the extensions are correct.

If none of these works then you may have a real problem on your hands.

PL.

Juan T. Llibre

Installing SP1 resets some permissions.

Make sure the right account has the permissions it needs.

For the ASP.NET account, run : aspnet_regiis -ga MachineName\AccountName
where accountname is the account ASP.NET is running as
( NETWORK SERVICE, by default, unless you've changed it )

Review the procedure for creating a service account to run ASP.NET at :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000009.asp

You don't have to create a new account, but make sure your
current ASP.NET account has the permissions listed there.

In this page :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod15.asp
you'll find a list of directories to which the ASP.NET
account will also need read/write permissions.

Recheck those directories' ACLs after running aspnet_regiis -ga
and make sure that the NETWORK SERVICE account, if you're
going to be running ASP.NET as that account, or any other account
that you decide to run ASP.NET as, has read/write access to those directories.

Bala

First of all, thanks to PL and Juan for your replies. I had tried all
the said options before and it hadn't yielded any benefit.

Though this might sound very silly - I went back and set the
permissions for Network Service account (yes, the Default App Pool is
running under this identity and will be the one which shall spawn a
thread for web requests), to the C:\Windows\Temp and guess what! Wola..
Everything is working fine.

Well, I am building the server as we speak, and will start porting my
server app into this box. Will definitely share any other interesting
(and weird) events that happen!!!

Thanks again for taking your time.

Bala

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I went back and set the permissions for Network Service account
(yes, the Default App Pool is running under this identity to the
C:\Windows\Temp and guess what! Wola.. Everything is working fine.

Yes, that's one of the directories mentioned in :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod15.asp

Keep this in mind, though : that's not a permanent pointer to that physical directory.

That's the TEMP directory for your box, set in your environment variables.

If you change the temp dir for your box, you'll start having the same problem
again until you give permissions to the new temp directory to NETWORK SERVICE.