Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp.net 1.0!?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris Lewis, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Chris Lewis

    Chris Lewis Guest

    Hi,

    We have just experienced a very frustrating and time-consuming problem after
    applying Windows 2K updates to our webservers over the weekend, and I though
    I'd share this in case anyone else has the same problem and can learn from
    this.

    Our webservers are running .NET 1.0 and 1.1 side by side, though we are no
    longer using 1.0 at all. Our web application also runs .NET remoting to talk
    to middle tier components on other boxes. The error we first observed this
    morning, when first accessing the ASP.NET applications hosted on the newly
    updated servers was:

    "Remoting configuration failed with the exception
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
    the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: Bad or
    unexpected argument passed to channel constructor: useDefaultCredentials"
    etc.

    We fixed this problem by changing the Remoting config file (by removing the
    reference to 'useDefaultCredentials'), which fixed this particular error but
    then we got a further error (the exact wording of which is again not
    strictly relevant, but it did give us the clue we needed to solve the
    mystery):

    "Method not found: Void
    System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Transform(System.Xml.XPath.IXPathNavigable,
    System.Xml.Xsl.XsltArgumentList, System.IO.Stream, System.Xml.XmlResolver)"

    We looked this method up in the docs, and it is only available in .NET 1.1 -
    the same is the case for the 'useDefaultCredentials' remoting attribute.

    So then we checked the version of .NET that the websites were running
    under - and THEY HAD REVERTED BACK TO ASP.NET 1.0!! So no 1.1 code would
    run.

    In summary - in our case (and this may be unique and not applicable anywhere
    else) **applying the latest Win 2K automatic updates caused our web
    applications to revert to running under .NET 1.0.**

    Chris Lewis
    Chris Lewis, Oct 25, 2004

  2. RE: Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp.net

    Chris,

    We are experiencing a similar problem with our web servers, but it is
    isolated to the server button control not performing a postback... I'm going
    to try this and see if it corrects things!

    Thanks for this post!
    Chris Quick

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgUS4=?=, Oct 25, 2004

  3. RE: Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp.net

    Chris,

    This was the exact problem with my server. Once I reinstalled the framework
    everything began working normally. Thank you again for this useful
    information!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgUS4=?=, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Chris Lewis

    Chris Lewis Guest

    Re: Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp.net

    Glad to help.

    I only hope someone at Microsoft sees these posts and investigates.

    Chris

    Chris Lewis, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Chris Lewis

    Doug Guest

    Re: Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp.net

    It's related to the webuivalidation.js which has just been updated in
    a recent Windows service pack. Either you or your server admins need
    to change the old version which you've got there for the new version.
    On my server, the new version size is 14.14kb, whereas the old one is
    14.09kb

    Interestingly, this problem doesn't affect Mozilla-based browsers ;-)

    Doug, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Chris Lewis

    Chris Lewis Guest

    Re: Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp.net

    Thanks for the reply Doug.

    I don't follow why this would reset all my ASP.NET web projects back to
    running under .NET 1.0?

    Chris Lewis, Oct 27, 2004
  7. Re: Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp

    This fix worked for us too. Service pack 4 seems to corrupt the validators.
    So we uninstalled .Net Framework 1.1 and reinstalled it and that fixed it.

    But then we installed .Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 and that also gave
    us the same problem. So we have to go without .Net Framework 1.1 Sevice Pack
    one.
    Is this going to leave us open to vulnerabilites?
    Hope Microsoft can shed some light on this.

    Sam

    =?Utf-8?B?U2FtIE1pbGxlcg==?=, Nov 8, 2004