Windows 2K update caused web application to revert back to asp.net 1.0!?

Chris Lewis

Hi,

We have just experienced a very frustrating and time-consuming problem after
applying Windows 2K updates to our webservers over the weekend, and I though
I'd share this in case anyone else has the same problem and can learn from
this.

Our webservers are running .NET 1.0 and 1.1 side by side, though we are no
longer using 1.0 at all. Our web application also runs .NET remoting to talk
to middle tier components on other boxes. The error we first observed this
morning, when first accessing the ASP.NET applications hosted on the newly
updated servers was:

"Remoting configuration failed with the exception
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by
the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: Bad or
unexpected argument passed to channel constructor: useDefaultCredentials"
etc.

We fixed this problem by changing the Remoting config file (by removing the
reference to 'useDefaultCredentials'), which fixed this particular error but
then we got a further error (the exact wording of which is again not
strictly relevant, but it did give us the clue we needed to solve the
mystery):

"Method not found: Void
System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Transform(System.Xml.XPath.IXPathNavigable,
System.Xml.Xsl.XsltArgumentList, System.IO.Stream, System.Xml.XmlResolver)"

We looked this method up in the docs, and it is only available in .NET 1.1 -
the same is the case for the 'useDefaultCredentials' remoting attribute.

So then we checked the version of .NET that the websites were running
under - and THEY HAD REVERTED BACK TO ASP.NET 1.0!! So no 1.1 code would
run.

In summary - in our case (and this may be unique and not applicable anywhere
else) **applying the latest Win 2K automatic updates caused our web
applications to revert to running under .NET 1.0.**

Chris Lewis

Guest

Chris,

We are experiencing a similar problem with our web servers, but it is
isolated to the server button control not performing a postback... I'm going
to try this and see if it corrects things!

Thanks for this post!
Chris Quick

Guest

Chris,

This was the exact problem with my server. Once I reinstalled the framework
everything began working normally. Thank you again for this useful
information!

Chris Lewis

Glad to help.

I only hope someone at Microsoft sees these posts and investigates.

Chris

Doug

It's related to the webuivalidation.js which has just been updated in
a recent Windows service pack. Either you or your server admins need
to change the old version which you've got there for the new version.
On my server, the new version size is 14.14kb, whereas the old one is
14.09kb

Interestingly, this problem doesn't affect Mozilla-based browsers ;-)

Chris Lewis

Thanks for the reply Doug.

I don't follow why this would reset all my ASP.NET web projects back to
running under .NET 1.0?

Guest

This fix worked for us too. Service pack 4 seems to corrupt the validators.
So we uninstalled .Net Framework 1.1 and reinstalled it and that fixed it.

But then we installed .Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 and that also gave
us the same problem. So we have to go without .Net Framework 1.1 Sevice Pack
one.
Is this going to leave us open to vulnerabilites?
Hope Microsoft can shed some light on this.

Sam