    with Ruby on Linux. But I'm getting more used to Windows and want to
    play with it here.

    --Bob

    Bob P., Feb 27, 2011

  2. On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Bob P. <> wrote:
    > Is there any advantage to a "manual" installation versus RubyInstaller
    > on Windows 7 64-bit? Are they mutually exclusive?

    Unless you want to set the path and the file associations by hand, you
    can use the RubyInstaller just fine. Given your background, I feel
    silly pointing out that "64 bit" means the CPU. Windows is fully
    capable of running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS (it's 16 bit
    applications that won't work, but they won't work on any other OS,
    too; it's a hardware 'limitation').

    > If I do a "manual" install, what is the usual $TOPDIR in Windows 7?

    Whatever suits you best. C:\Ruby is the canonical installation
    directory for the RubyInstaller.

    > I'm a retired software engineer (nearly 50 years experience) so am not
    > afraid to do command line things, etc. I'm a little new to Windows,
    > having used mostly Linux for the past 10 years and many other OSs before
    > that.
    >
    > This is not a production environment. This is for my own amusement. Yes,
    > I enjoy programming just for fun in my retirement. I've played a bit
    > with Ruby on Linux. But I'm getting more used to Windows and want to
    > play with it here.

    You'll get a rather rough experience with Ruby on Windows, since the
    Ruby community is quite *NIX centric. That said, the RubyInstaller's
    DevKit takes away a *lot* of the hurt, since it provides a compiler
    toolchain (on demand, even!) similar to *NIX.

    Given that you are new to Windows, I'd simply use the RubyInstaller.
    It sets everything that needs to be set, and you are good to go from
    the command line. BTW: If you are used to *NIX-like command lines, use
    PowerShell. It follows many of the usual *NIX conventions, and has
    aliases corresponding to common *NIX tools (ls, grep, more, less). I
    have no idea if it is included in whatever edition of Windows 7 you
    are using, but it's available here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd742419.aspx

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,
    (Ah, how soon!) they forget
    When I've moved on to some other place,
    There may be one or two,
    When I've played and passed through,
    Who'll remember my song or my face.
    Phillip Gawlowski, Feb 27, 2011

  3. Bob P.

    Bob P. Guest

    Phillip Gawlowski wrote in post #984182:

    > Unless you want to set the path and the file associations by hand, you
    > can use the RubyInstaller just fine. Given your background, I feel
    > silly pointing out that "64 bit" means the CPU. Windows is fully
    > capable of running 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS (it's 16 bit
    > applications that won't work, but they won't work on any other OS,
    > too; it's a hardware 'limitation').

    Yes, I knew that Windows would run 32-bit applications, but I specified
    that I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 in case there are both a 32-bit and
    64-bit version of Ruby's various files, etc. that I needed to know
    about. I have run into several such problems running 64-bit Linux.

    >> If I do a "manual" install, what is the usual $TOPDIR in Windows 7?

    > Whatever suits you best. C:\Ruby is the canonical installation
    > directory for the RubyInstaller.
    >

    > You'll get a rather rough experience with Ruby on Windows, since the
    > Ruby community is quite *NIX centric. That said, the RubyInstaller's
    > DevKit takes away a *lot* of the hurt, since it provides a compiler
    > toolchain (on demand, even!) similar to *NIX.
    >
    > Given that you are new to Windows, I'd simply use the RubyInstaller.
    > It sets everything that needs to be set, and you are good to go from
    > the command line. BTW: If you are used to *NIX-like command lines, use
    > PowerShell. It follows many of the usual *NIX conventions, and has
    > aliases corresponding to common *NIX tools (ls, grep, more, less). I
    > have no idea if it is included in whatever edition of Windows 7 you
    > are using, but it's available here:
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/dd742419.aspx

    Thank you very much, Phillip. This is exactly the advice I was looking
    for.

    --Bob

    Bob P., Feb 27, 2011
  4. On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Bob P. <> wrote:

    > Yes, I knew that Windows would run 32-bit applications, but I specified
    > that I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 in case there are both a 32-bit and
    > 64-bit version of Ruby's various files, etc. that I needed to know
    > about. I have run into several such problems running 64-bit Linux.

    Not that I am aware of. IIRC, Ruby, at least on Windows, is strictly
    32 bit. If all else fails, you can use RVM[0] to manage multiple
    versions of Ruby (with their own RubyGem libraries).

    You can also sidestep all this and use JRuby, which should run
    everywhere where a Java VM runs. ;)

    In any case, RubyGems should catch architecture specifics like this,
    and not offer an incompatible install.

    > Thank you very much, Phillip. This is exactly the advice I was looking
    > for.

    Always happy to help. :)

    [0] http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

    Phillip Gawlowski, Feb 27, 2011
  5. On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Phillip Gawlowski
    <> wrote:
    > Not that I am aware of. IIRC, Ruby, at least on Windows, is strictly
    > 32 bit. If all else fails, you can use RVM[0] to manage multiple
    > versions of Ruby (with their own RubyGem libraries).
    >
    > You can also sidestep all this and use JRuby, which should run
    > everywhere where a Java VM runs. ;)

    FYI, there are both 32 and 64-bit JVM installs for Windows, and JRuby
    will run fine out of the box on either. Regardless of 32 or 64-bit,
    JRuby always has 64-bit Fixnum and Float, so the main thing you get
    from a 64-bit JVM is a larger addressable memory space (anyone out
    there with 50GB Ruby applications?)

    - Charlie
    Charles Oliver Nutter, Mar 5, 2011